Naming baby boy after father??

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I wanted to name my boy after his father, his name is Patrick. I was wondering what other think of this idea? It's not common anymore, but I think it's cute! Patrick Alan will be his name.

And if I have a girl, her name is Hadley Angela.
September 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I PERSONALLY don't like the thought of giving them the same first name, but am all for using a parents name as a middle name.. but that's just *me*. Both of my girls have middle names which are very much family names. Gaby's middle names are Jayda-Leigh - Jayda, after my first angel (Jayden), and Leigh, after my sister (her middle name. Emersyn is Lily-May, Lily is a name Gaby chose & May is my Mum's middle name

September 18th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I like it! I especially love the name Patrick, it's on my list
TTC Our #1 Red Sox|Bruins|Celtics|Patriots Fan
September 18th, 2012, 08:12 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama
I PERSONALLY don't like the thought of giving them the same first name, but am all for using a parents name as a middle name..

I love family names and their variants as middle names, I think it's a great tribute! Like the above post, I really don't like same first names, that's just my personal preference though

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
September 19th, 2012, 04:20 AM
KirstyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
I PERSONALLY don't like the thought of giving them the same first name, but am all for using a parents name as a middle name.. but that's just *me*.
I totally agree. I just feel like a new baby deserves it's own name.
I use family names for middle names.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Ace + using Forum Runner
Baby #4: Due 16/09/14
September 19th, 2012, 07:06 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am the same with the first -middle thing. I wanted my kids to have their own first names. But both of my boys (and any future children) have family middle names. Neither are after my husband, since he hates his names and prefers not to have a child named after him. But they are family names on his side and mine.

I do love Patrick and think it makes a great middle name. My younger sons middle name is Patrick, after my grandma.
September 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
I PERSONALLY don't like the thought of giving them the same first name, but am all for using a parents name as a middle name..
I agree. I don't like Juniors/same named parent/child names, to me it's an identity thing...I mean, I don't think I'd want to have the same name as my Mom and I definitely wouldn't want to have to be refered to as "little-insert-name-here" such as many other people are when they're named after a parent. I have a cousin who is named after his Dad/my Uncle...and they're still refered to as Big Frank and Little Frank...my cousin is 35 years old...just seems a little silly to me. Good luck!
September 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
after working in finance and retail i'm against it. inevitably there will be a mix-up, and more likely, several, throughout your SO's and child's lives. just a scenario for you: Say your SO's name is Patrick James Smith and your son is Patrick Alan Smith. Son drops using his middle initial or doesn't use it for every account he sets up to distinguish from his father. SO and son both have an account at a retailer, company X, both set up under your home address and phone (no SSN or DOB required). Son moves out and calls company X and says "this is Patrick Smith, i moved and need to update my address and phone number." representative finds an account with that matching name and updates info. However son's account is actually set up under "Patrick A Smith" but he failed to mention his middle initial and over the phone a representative in a call center miles away has no indication that they need to ask if a middle initial is used. 3 weeks later Dad calls in to inquire about a previous purchase or missing catalog/coupon/bill, etc. Rep can't find his account because Patrick Smith is no longer under the home address/phone, it's under the son's new address after minutes of searching because one party forgot to mention a middle initial (or failing to add the Sr/Jr if both first and middle names are identical) which makes all the difference. It sounds long and drawn out typing it, trust me it's long and drawn out over the phone and frustrating for both the consumer and the employee when dealing with this situation. I dealt with it on a nearly daily basis.

just my two cents!

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search