Criticism

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
Veteran
How do you deal with name criticism? Like if somebody tells you that a name is or sounds "made-up". I mean, if you like a name, you just like it, you know? You can't help it!

</div>
July 22nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Veteran
I still think of Taylor as a boy name!

By the way, your Taylor is such a cutie!

</div>
July 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i usually don't mind it unless the name has sentimental value to me. ie: i LOVE the name Jayla, and YES it does sound made up, i know that, but it signifies my dad, who was named Jay.. thus it has incredible meaning for me. But then again, the people who don't like it don't know that it's on my list for THAT reason, so i can't really get mad about that anyway.
July 23rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
yeah, i wouldnt really pay attention to what other people have to say about what i chose to name my children when i decide to have them, it's mine and the father's decision!!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
LaceyJMC's Avatar Veteran
We told my parents that we like Max and Amelia. My parents said that Max sounded like a dog and Amelia is the name of a woman who flew over the ocean in a plane a hundred years ago. Well you know what. I have learned to let things go in one ear and out the other unless they are valid concerns. Our daughter is going to be named Amelia. I have not heard one valid argument against the name so I'm using it!
-expecting miracle #3!!!
July 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I would not ask unless I could hear honest opinions, good OR bad..

because really, the child will have to live with his/her name forever - not me, not daddy... it's his/her name. I would like to know what people think b/c if its something negative or positive, chances are more people will think the same.

Ultimately I'm not all that concerned what people think when deciding on a final name, but I would lie if I said it didn't sway me one way or another in some instances. It makes you think more about the choice, IMO

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
MatteasMommy07's Avatar Member
Personally, I like to hear opinions (the good, the bad, and the ugly!) before I decide on a name. I would rather get input before I chose it than have people say it behind my back or make fun of my child once I name them. I must have posted on 10 different naming sites before finally deciding on Mattea's name I don't need to choose a name that EVERYONE likes (b/c that would be next to impossible!) But I would like a name that the majority of people have a good perception of, but that's just me. If you really like a name, hey, go for it it is your baby after all, but I would say if you aren't prepared to hear any negative comments about that name then don't put it out there to be critiqued in the first place KWIM?

[size=4]
July 24th, 2006, 12:15 AM
chlodoll
I dont mind hearing opinions. I like pretty standard names though so I never really got much criticism with my ideas. I think I am probably one of those people who says it sounds made up lol My SIL doesnt tell anyone the name they have choosen until the baby is born. It saves them from being told silly things about it.
July 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM
** Mandy **
If someone is saying this they are just plain being rude. If you ask for their honest opinion that is one thing but otherwise they should keep their mouth shut. If someone said this to me without being asked I would probably say, "well, we like it" and leave it at that. Try not to pay attention... everyone will have an opinion and it won't always be good (hopefully they learn to keep those opinions to themselves though).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search