Does sibset matter to you?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I see a lot of threads on sibset matches and I was wondering if everyone thought that sibling names should match or sound similar. Would how a named sounded with another child's name alter you decision?

November 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I don't think they need to "match" or sound similar...but I do like names with cohesiveness/on the same wavelength. For instance, my cousins live next to a family of 4 boys and 1 girl. All 4 of the boys have pretty interesting names (which escape me at this time!) and the little girl's name is Mary. IMO, they just don't "vibe" together. Since I like more of the unusual/uncommon names, if I find someone with one I always ask what their sibling names are because usually they're equally as unusual/uncommon. I think it's kinda funny to have a group of kids whose names are "in sync" with the others and then to have one odd ball of a name...whether it be the common one or the uncommon one. Hope that makes sense!

Would it alter my decision? Probably. My top 6 names are uncommon, but I'd love to name a daughter after my Mom...whose name was Mary. However, I feel like Mary isn't up-to-par in regards to uncommonness as the others, so I'd definitely have to think of a different possibility.

Last edited by ImagineOctober; November 6th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
November 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it matters too much. It's something to consider when picking a name, but I don't think it's the deciding factor for me. I get what ImagineOctober is saying about cohesiveness and it flowing, and I agree with that. It should sound nice, but overall, if you love the name, you love the name. I'd rather have a name I love that is a little different sounding than the others, rather than a name I don't like as much that sounds better with the sibset.

November 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
When thinking about names, I think about what it would sound like if you were SHOUTING THEIR NAMES FROM YOUR FRONT DOOR TO CALL THEM IN FOR DINNER. So they have to sound natural to you and not goofy together (Annamaria Sophia and CHUCK come in for lunch!).
November 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
For me, personally, yes. I've very OCD about the way names sound together. I prefer them to be of similar popularity (although I'm trying to get over this), similar style and overall, sound like they fit well together.
November 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are particular on our boys names because they all have the same first name but different middle, which is the names they all go by. So all the boys have a one syllable middle name and none start with the same letter. We only have the one girl so im not sure what we would pick for another girl. I'm almost certain I don't want it to rhyme with our daughters or sound similar. It should flow nice like her name does and be unique but not sound alike.

November 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the PPs who said that it's only important that they sound like they are of common taste. I don't want my childrens names to be matchy matchy, but I do want them to sound good together and as if they were picked from parents that have the same taste when naming each child.

I know a family that has 4 children. 3 of the children have extremely common names (think Sarah, Ann, Matthew, etc.) and 1 of them has a very unique and different name (think Egypt, Sapphire, etc.). To me it sounds soooo off the wall for them to name that 1 child such a unique and different name when their other 3 have such common and simple names. It just doens't make any sense. Makes you wonder what they were thinking. That is why I think sibsets are important.

November 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Overall I don't think it matters as they won't be a sibling set for most of their lives - they will be individuals as grown-up.

I did pass on Luke which I love when naming ds because I thought Luke & Lucy were way to close.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search