Margaret/Peggy?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By P*to*the*ORTIA
  • 1 Post By AniLand

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
So twice this week at work I came across a woman who was emailing me as "Peggy" (2 different women) and when I verified them on our system they were Margaret's. I figured someone changed the name of the wrong person once I came across the first one, but after the 2nd one I inquired, and apparently Peggy is short for (or nn) Margaret??? How the heck does that work? LOL

Has anyone else ever heard this?

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.

Last edited by MindyRambo; January 25th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
January 25th, 2013, 11:20 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I found this on the internet:

Margaret” has spawned a bewildering variety of nicknames, from “Margot” to “Daisy.”

The name itself is a variant of the obsolete word “margarite,” meaning “pearl” or “precious stone.” It is apparently of ancient Asian origin, filtered through Greek, Latin, Teutonic and Old French.

It became a very popular given name in medieval England and Scotland, where it was conventionally taken to mean “pearl.”

Since “Margaret” is quite a mouthful, nicknames soon spun off from it. Perhaps the strangest is “Daisy.” It’s a pun dating to a time when “margaret” was also an English slang term for the ox-eye daisy. It became an independent first name during the 1900s fad for flower-based names.

More common were such shortenings and diminutions as “Maggie,” “Meggie” and “Meg.” Some etymologists say that the diminutive “Maggie” form came first, with “Meg” following as a shortened form; others say the shortened form “Meg” came first, with “Maggie” and “Meggie” following as diminutive forms. Nobody really knows.

What we do know is that “Peg” is an altered form of “Meg,” and “Peggy” is an altered form of “Meggie.”

“Meggie” and “Meg” were distinctively Scottish nicknames, so “Peg” and “Peggy” probably were, too.

But no one knows why the “M” was changed to a “P.” (A theory about Celtic-language influence has proven fruitless.) They are similar consonant sounds; maybe the change was inspired by a nonsense-rhyme nickname like “Meggy-Peggy.”
MindyRambo likes this.

January 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I have known several Margarets who went by Peggy (older women, like grandma's age). I always thought it was weird.
MindyRambo likes this.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I also know a Margaret that goes by Peggy (in her 60's). I think Margaret just has a ton of nn's because it was so popular at the time!

January 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I know about 3 Margaret's who go by Peggy. Super common in my church.
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
January 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I've also heard the nick name Peggy for Margaret.
January 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
My neighbor growing up and still a family friend is named Margaret but has always gone by Peg or Peggy. She would be in her upper 50's now

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
January 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I've never heard Peggy as a nn for Margaret either. Kinda different but kinda cool.

January 29th, 2013, 06:16 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies, when I came across the first one I figured it had to be a mistake, couldn't figure how they got peggy from margaret but the first reply makes sense! And it's true, Margaret was so common then...

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
January 29th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by P*to*the*ORTIA View Post
Perhaps the strangest is “Daisy.” It’s a pun dating to a time when “margaret” was also an English slang term for the ox-eye daisy. It became an independent first name during the 1900s fad for flower-based names.
Margarita is Spanish for "Daisy" so while this sounds odd off-hand, it actually kind of makes sense when you take that into consideration.

As for Peggy, I'm not sure how they came up with that but there are lots of older names with odd nicknames.

January 30th, 2013, 07:59 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had never heard this - really interesting I often wonder where nicknames come from like that. Thanks for sharing

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

January 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Margaret >>> Meggy >>> Peggy
Hmmm interesting!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search