What do you think?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 05:49 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm due in April with a baby boy. My daughter is 6, and we decided on her name really without needing to discuss it---Brooklyn Paige. When I was pregnant with her, the boy name we had picked out was Tyler (inspired by our favorite college quarterback at the time).

So now, DH is still dead set on the name Tyler. I don't dislike it, but I'm not excited about it. Maybe a bit too common for me. I really like Ty, and it goes great with our last name, but DH said just Ty isn't a "real name." He will consider something else, but I can't come up with anything I like, and he is very picky to begin with.

The bad part is I've gotten quite a few negative reactions when I've mentioned Tyler was the top choice. Someone even said "oh no"---really? Is it that bad? Every time I come up with a middle name to go with Tyler, my mom starts referring to him by the middle name, to the point that it annoys me so bad & I don't want to use it anymore. So I've crossed about 3 mn's off my list because of that. Between her & my grandma, they ask almost daily if I've come up with a "better name" yet. My mom basically said DH's opinion shouldn't count & I should name the baby whatever I want (translation: whatever SHE wants), because she really doesn't like Tyler. I am so irritated that I haven't even thought about names for a few months. Oh, and Brookyn doesn't like Tyler either! But only because there's a boy in her class named Tyler that likes her. LOL

So...opinions on Tyler? Opinions for dealing with friends & family who hate your name choice? Suggestions for different names? I need help!!

January 31st, 2013, 06:05 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
It's not my style but it's a fine name. I think your mom needs to but out and let you and dh name your child. You could name him Tyler but call him Ty. We got a lot of negative comments about our daughters name when we decided but it's not their kid.

Tyler James
Tyler Everett
Tyler Bennett
Tyler Jacob
Tyler Jude
Tyler Beckett
Tyler Owen
Tyler Hudson
Tyler Graham
Tyler Vaughn

January 31st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
I used to really like the name Tyler. However, I knew so many Tylers that I wouldn't want my child to be like. Now I won't ever use it. That being said you need to do what you and DH like, don't worry about other people's opinions and maybe just don't share the name until birth. We didn't tell families our girls names until birth because I didn't want the opinions.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
January 31st, 2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not my favorite name. I prefer Tyson. I personally feel the name has...."run it's course," if that makes sense.

And, you shouldn't read too much into what others say, we're only giving you opinions. When I picked Poppy (nn for Penelope), no one liked it. Everyone said they'd call her Penelope instead. No one calls her Penelope. They all love Poppy.

February 1st, 2013, 05:43 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
See...that's how I feel about it too. It's fine, but I don't love it anymore. If it ends up being Tyler, we are going to avoid J & B mn's. I've had a few other names that I like, but DH associates every name with an old friend, or someone he didn't like, etc so he's pretty quick to veto most of them! He also said who cares what other people think about the name, but I can't help but take it into consideration.

February 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Tyler is a fine name but a bit too popular for my taste. Plus I feel like it was über popular a few years ago (top ten in the late 90's) so maybe people are "burned out" on it now and that's why you are getting some negative feedback? It goes well with Brooklynn though!

How about:
Trevor
Tucker
Troy
Trent
Trace
Tate
Archer
Asher
Alexander
Weston
Wesley