Would you use a top 10 name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Nlove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 04:37 AM
My naming style is Italian old lady SO I LOVE Sofia, Isabella, Olivia, Ava etc etc etc. I would never want to use a top 10 name but I have ALWAYS loved Sophia. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth even arguing it to my husband. Although he's completely vetoed it as a H* NO......So, even if he did say yes, IDK if I'd want to use a #1 name. I really really hated growing up in the 80's as a Jennifer. People say the names now aren't as dated, and the #1 name is used by about half the amount of people. IDK. Tough call. It seems like no matter how "classic" a name is, if a bunch of people use it in a short amount of time it will date itself to that time?
February 12th, 2013, 05:20 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
What about using it as a middle name? My kids names aren't even in the top 1000 so no, I wouldn't use a top 10 name. I like that my kids have different, unique names that fit them and there won't be another one around. But they're not so weird that people look at me like, you named your kid what?

February 12th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're going to use Alexander if we have a boy, which is #8 on the list. I think it matters more when it comes to girl but my name is pretty unpopular and I still had another girl in my class with the same name.

The thing is, I think most of the "trendy" names now are more traditional than a few years ago. I think the problem is that some of those names won't age well, rather than that they were trendy.

I don't know, I like traditional names too and they are getting super popular but I'm not naming my kid something I don't want to just because the name I like is on the list. I'm conflicted.

February 12th, 2013, 07:47 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nlove View Post
People say the names now aren't as dated, and the #1 name is used by about half the amount of people. IDK. Tough call. It seems like no matter how "classic" a name is, if a bunch of people use it in a short amount of time it will date itself to that time?
I recently read a book that had some information about the more common names - "Baby Name Wizard" . It said that while it is true that the #1 name is used by half the amount of people those people who do name their child that tend to be in your "cohort" so there will still be many more in your schools and neighborhoods because they are the people choosing the same name as you - because people of similar backgrounds and economic situations tend to like similar names .

I can't remember how it goes exactly but it was a really interesting and short read if you like that sort of thing

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

February 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would use the name. Today, your child is just as likely to be in a class with another kid that shares their name whether it's in the top 10 or not. People are trying really hard to find original names and because of that it's getting harder and harder.
We just had a Valentine's cutest baby contest in my very rural area. Out of twenty babies, two were named Baylor/Beighlor....I feel like the parents were probably disappointed to see that, lol!
February 12th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momology View Post
I recently read a book that had some information about the more common names - "Baby Name Wizard" . It said that while it is true that the #1 name is used by half the amount of people those people who do name their child that tend to be in your "cohort" so there will still be many more in your schools and neighborhoods because they are the people choosing the same name as you - because people of similar backgrounds and economic situations tend to like similar names .

I can't remember how it goes exactly but it was a really interesting and short read if you like that sort of thing
I can believe that and I agree. I know that there are names that are popular here and that were used several times in a generation that weren't anywhere near being top names (like my name, Brandi).

February 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momology View Post

This is true. I suggested the name Valentina to my husband who vetoed it as "the worst name he's ever heard in his entire life" ) So I was looking up the top names for my area and sure enough Valentina was #39 but nationally it's like in the 3 or 400's. So while to me loving old lady Italian names....and hearing all my nieces Italian friends having names like Valentina, Violetta, Sophia etc I think Valentina is totally normal and fits in the flow but when I suggested Valentina to my mom or husband, or friends not in our area they act like I have 2 heads. I guess b/c my husand is so set on Arabella while it's ranked in the 2 or 300's it has the Bella nickname which she will just get bunched in as Bella S. and at that point I feel like she minds well be Sophia S.
Happy Song likes this.
February 12th, 2013, 10:25 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
If it's a name you love, I think you should use it, regardless of its popularity. But that's just my opinion.
February 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
April 13th 2014 :)
If you love the name, you can't help the names that you love. I personally would not use a top 10 name, I tell meself I don't like those names.
February 12th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I would and I did.

My daughter's name is Emma which is a family name for me. I've had it picked out since I was in high school. I figured that if I have loved the name for that long and never changed my mind that I would regret it forever if I didn't use it. And she is such an Emma. The name fits her perfectly and I've gotten nothing but good comments about the name. I'm very happy with my decision.

February 12th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Veteran
No, I would never use a top 10 name as a first name. I'm in my late 20's and I just think about how many Jessicas, Jennifers, Amandas, Melissas, Ashleys, etc there are.

My son's middle name is William, but that's because it's my husband's name. William has been consistently in the top 10 more than any other name!
February 12th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I'd use it if you like it. My top boys names are John and Michael.
February 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly721 View Post
If it's a name you love, I think you should use it, regardless of its popularity. But that's just my opinion.
I totally agree!!!

I have an Isabella and the only name I have picked out for this baby, should it be a girl, is Sophia
February 13th, 2013, 06:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Eh, probably not. But I guess I can say that because I have never had a love affair with a specific name. If I had loved the same name from childhood and it happened to be popular, I dont think that would dissuade me from using it.

I admit that I was really sad when Liam shot into the top 20 names. We picked it in March of 2009, when we discussed names. I actually even looked up its popularity (it was number 75 according to SSA and on several baby name websites it was hanging between 60-80). So I was okay with that. But 2009 and 2010 were big "Liam" years. So now my kid has a popular name. And I really didn't want a popular name. Me and DH both had popular names in our age groups...so we wanted to go a little more outside the box. Apparently we failed. I doubt our second will ever make it to the top 100. But our girl name is listed as "likely to climb" in popularity. But I don't see it climbing terribly far. I actually chose between two girl names by picking the less common of the two.
February 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I'm not necessarily drawn to names in the top ranks, but if it was a name I loved for a long time or had special significance the popularity wouldn't keep me from using it.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
February 13th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would prefer not to but if it was a name I really truly loved then I'd consider it. But it would have to be a name I really loved.
February 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My children are Joseph and Emma, so yes.
I like classics and biblicals.
February 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Not without loving the name.

February 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I *might* use a top 10 name, but definitely not a #1 name. Sophia is extremely commong, and definitely will be a future 'Jennifer' (a name people are sick of hearing).
From 2011 ssa.gov -
Sophia #1
Sofia #19
Sophie #51
What about:
Francesca nn Frances
Alessia
Clarissa nn Clara
Mirabella nn Mira
Gemma
Luna
Liviana nn Anna or Liv
Amalia
Riva
February 15th, 2013, 09:19 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower View Post
I would use the name. Today, your child is just as likely to be in a class with another kid that shares their name whether it's in the top 10 or not. People are trying really hard to find original names and because of that it's getting harder and harder.
We just had a Valentine's cutest baby contest in my very rural area. Out of twenty babies, two were named Baylor/Beighlor....I feel like the parents were probably disappointed to see that, lol!
Exactly! The Sophias, Isabellas, Emmas, and Avas are NOT the Jennifers, Jessicas, and Ashleys of the '00s/'10s.

I named my DD Isabella in 2006 when it was #4 on the SSA list. My DD goes to a private school of 450-ish, upper-middle-class, mostly-white kids (the normal "co-hort" to name their children Isabella nowadays). There is NOT another Isabella in all 3 first grades. Of the 450 children in the total school, there are a whopping TWO other Isabellas. That doesn't bother me in the least.

And, let's say your DD goes to a much larger school and there are three Sophias in her class, they don't necessarily have to go by Sophia M, Sophia S, and Sophia K. It could be Sophia, Sophie, and Sophie Jo. I've noticed people making double names out of popular names and I really like that trend. (DD had an Emma Mae in her class last year.)

I can say as a person growing up with a "unique" name, I always wondered if people didn't like it because no other parents had used it for their daughters. I hated that people did not know how to pronounce it or spell it. And, it's not an odd name, by any means - Janna. I never met another one until I was 18 years old and I've met a total of three in my life. So, there are downsides (and upsides) to naming your child a popular name or a different name.

To this day, as popular as Isabella has gotten and as often as you'd think everyone must have heard of it, I get compliments on her name ALL the time! My DD loves to run into another little girl with her name. It's a popular name because lots of people think it's a gorgeous name. There's nothing wrong with that!

If you love a name, go for it! (However, with all that I said, I really like the name Arabella too!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search