Baby Girl's Name

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By gustka48
  • 2 Post By jersey_gray
  • 1 Post By momology
  • 1 Post By BriLandy
  • 2 Post By My2miracles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Super Mommy
DH and I love the name Eliora (Ah-lor-ah). The meaning is My God is my Light. This clicked with me instantly and I never doubted how to say it. But as I post it in different groups people say they would butcher the pronunciation because of the I. And we should spell it Elora or Alora. I feel like removing the I removes the meaning since "lior" means light. It may be hormones. Am I overreacting?

DD is named Michaela. I never had any doubt that it was pronounced "Ma-Kayla" but doctors offices butcher it. I feel like people can't read now adays anyway. No one can get Erin right either. I get Er-rin or Erwin?

February 13th, 2013, 01:26 PM
April 13th 2014 :)
Michaela I get, but I have to admit that Eliora, I would pronounce it wrong, I didn't instantly think of saying Ah-lor-ah
alittlelost likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of the ladies who used to post on JM and who was in my son's DDC/Playroom had a daughter named Eleora (same name but she chose to spell it differently). I never knew it was supposed to be pronounced Alora. In fact, I'm not sure she did either since she usually referred to her daughter as Ele.

As for Michaela and Erin, I have always known how to say them. It surprises me that people would get it wrong, but you get that with anything.

February 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I wouldnt change the spelling but you may have to correct some people

February 13th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For the pronunciation Alora that spelling is your best bet. You are right, people just don't know the basics of grammar that would allow them to figure out Eliora is pronounced Ah-lor-ah. Myself included. If I saw Eliora I would have no clue how to say the name but I would say ee not ah since the name does start with an e. I never knew how to pronounce Micheala until finally finding out how on an online forum. But if it's the name and spelling you love then it will be worth explaining to people.
Happy Song and islandbaby like this.
February 14th, 2013, 07:18 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you really care about the correct pronunciation I would go with Alora - the spoken word will still have the same meaning especially to you guys.

That said, if you love it as is and don't mind correcting people than I say go for it! (I would have pronounced it "Eli - Ora" )

I think either way it is a beautiful name
whitehouse1 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

February 14th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran
Honestly, the "i" does throw me off. I would not say it correctly the first time. That being said, correcting people isn't the end of the world and plenty of people have names that are uncommon/foreign/etc that need a little explanation.
February 17th, 2013, 06:16 PM
BriLandy's Avatar Veteran
I would spell it more phonetically because I would personally have no clue how to say that and would probably pronounce it Ell-ee-ora which sounds funny. Alora is pretty.
whitehouse1 likes this.

Baby girl, due May 18th, 2013.

Bri
February 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
^Ditto!
I'd say "Ellie-ora". I like "Alora" much better.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
February 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriLandy View Post
I would spell it more phonetically because I would personally have no clue how to say that and would probably pronounce it Ell-ee-ora which sounds funny. Alora is pretty.
I agree. As someone who's spent a life time of correcting people on the pronunciation of my name (and my name isn't that weird), I wouldn't want to sentence my child to a name that people will almost always get wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_gray View Post
For the pronunciation Alora that spelling is your best bet. You are right, people just don't know the basics of grammar that would allow them to figure out Eliora is pronounced Ah-lor-ah. Myself included. If I saw Eliora I would have no clue how to say the name but I would say ee not ah since the name does start with an e. I never knew how to pronounce Micheala until finally finding out how on an online forum. But if it's the name and spelling you love then it will be worth explaining to people.
The knowing the basics of grammar wouldn't lead people to pronounce this name Ah-lor-ah. 1st the letter E has an EE or Eh sound not an Ah. Next the basic rule is "when 2 vowels go a walking the 1st one does the talking" So definitely would lead to lio giving an Lor sound.
Allie_SMg and BriLandy like this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 19th, 2013, 11:17 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I wouldn't know how to pronounce it unless you told me, but it's a pretty name.
February 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Although you may have to correct some people, I wouldn't change anything.
February 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I chose to take my DH's very Italian last name that no one can pronounce and a lot of people even add in nonexistent "r"s. The same WILL happen to your child, she'll also get a lot of misspelled emails, cards, ect from friends. I'd probably spell it Alora for her sake. It is a beautiful name though.
February 24th, 2013, 08:37 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
It is a beautiful name, but there's no way I'd know to pronounce it "Alora" spelt that way, I'm sorry
February 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you love the spelling Eliora, then go ahead and use it. It's much more important to use a name you love and it looks prettier that way. Our baby's name will be "Kieran". I know people are going to call him "Karen" or "ky-ren" and that I'll have to correct people, but we love the name. As for your name, I would definitely read it as "El-ee-or-uh". It's not that I don't know how to read, it's that that's just how it looks. The basic rules of grammar would say that you pronounce it like that as well. Much like "Kieran" people might not read it "keer-en" if they haven't heard it before. So it's really up to you.

Last edited by Allie_SMg; February 24th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
February 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustka48 View Post
Michaela I get, but I have to admit that Eliora, I would pronounce it wrong, I didn't instantly think of saying Ah-lor-ah
This!
February 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd also say Ellie-ora (though I think that sounds pretty just the same!)

I like the spelling Alora if you care about people saying it right.

It's hard having a name everyone says wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search