name off limits?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By P*to*the*ORTIA
  • 1 Post By butterfly721
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By Feel the beat
  • 1 Post By carlyheartsphil
  • 1 Post By jersey_gray
  • 1 Post By momology
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Super Mommy
so i found yet another baby name that i love...hailey. (or hayley, or haley, lol) Anyways...spelling aside..my aunt and uncle have a dog with that name...the dog is like 5+ years old. I do see them a lot. Would it be strange to name my child the same name? Obviously she is not named after the dog, we just like that name. And this baby would be their great niece. Also, I have a second cousin (who i rarely see, maybe once every few years and we dont even really talk) who has a daughter named hailey. Do you think this name is still ok to use or is it off limits?
April 6th, 2013, 04:47 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I think it's still ok.
KellBell2621 likes this.

April 6th, 2013, 06:18 AM
TTC #1 Since 04-01-2013
With your cousin who you never see, I think it's still okay.

And even with the dog being named Hailey I think it's okay, but if you do see them alot when you daughter is a little older do you think she will find it odd that she shares the name with the puppy??

Just a thought.
April 6th, 2013, 06:18 AM
TTC #1 Since 04-01-2013
With your cousin who you never see, I think it's still okay.

And even with the dog being named Hailey I think it's okay, but if you do see them alot when you daughter is a little older do you think she will find it odd that she shares the name with the puppy??

Just a thought.
April 6th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah. Well as far as when she is old enough to realize that, not to sound morbid but I think the dog will have passed. Hailey (the dog) already has a lot of health problems, easily monitered, but still, and she's between 5-10 yrs old already. I see the fam all major holidays and some birthdays. They are super sweet so I doubt they'd 'mind' but i just didn't know if it'd seem weird to others
April 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I think it's fine to still use the name.
KellBell2621 likes this.
April 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it all depends on what you are comfortable with. if it were me, I probably wouldn't be able to get past it but if it's the name you LOVE then go for it.

for instance, we thought for about 3 months that our baby on the way was going to be Aaron, but my husband has a cousin that we see once or twice a year named Erin, and even though it "should" be fine to use, we weren't able to shake it and changed our baby's name back to our original choice.
KellBell2621 likes this.

April 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Regular
If you like it - use it!!
KellBell2621 likes this.
April 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think its ok, if there is nothing you like better use it.
KellBell2621 likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's fine. Your aunt and uncle may find it odd though when they first hear your name choice. Human names are being used for dogs nowadays. I have a dog named Amy. It's not a name I would consider for a daughter but I wouldn't find it odd at all for a friend or relative to name their daughter Amy.
KellBell2621 likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_gray View Post
It's fine. Your aunt and uncle may find it odd though when they first hear your name choice. Human names are being used for dogs nowadays. I have a dog named Amy. It's not a name I would consider for a daughter but I wouldn't find it odd at all for a friend or relative to name their daughter Amy.
true, i do know a lot of people with more 'human names' for the their dogs. plus i worked in daycare for years and my family is huge so finding names that no one has used yet is very difficult! plus i like the spelling 'haylee' the best and their dog, i believe, is 'hailey' not that thats a huge difference but at the end of the day it's what me and my husband like, if my family thinks its weird (which i dont think they'll have a problem with) then so be it
April 13th, 2013, 04:36 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think it's fine...sophie is on our list, and that's my cousin's dog's name....our dog is Ellie and DH has a cousin named Ellie (whose older) but we still named the dog Ellie we used to have a dog named Bailey and DH wanted to name OUR daughter Bailey (we compromised on Brylie )

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 13th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i think it's fine...sophie is on our list, and that's my cousin's dog's name....our dog is Ellie and DH has a cousin named Ellie (whose older) but we still named the dog Ellie we used to have a dog named Bailey and DH wanted to name OUR daughter Bailey (we compromised on Brylie )
yay! you know what i'm going through then lol, yeah the more i think about it the more i'm fine with it. i guess it's just a name i've always liked but never considered it b/c of that. however when my husband was just listing off some names in the top 100 he liked he mentioned it and it really stuck out. thanks for the input!
April 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is fine!! I wouldnt let that stop me from my favorite name!!
KellBell2621 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

April 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Super Mommy
thanks ladies!! i talked to my mom about it today and she saw no problem with it. she agrees -if i like the name, use it! i guess i just needed peace of mind that it's not weird lol
April 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have four dogs with human names (Nadia, Zara, Rhett, and Silas) and wouldn't find it strange if someone named their child a name we had for our dogs. Heck, my grandmas dog is named Sam and she has a great-grandson named Samuel as well.

If you love it, go for it. I think there are very few instances where names are "off limits." And a dog is certainly not at the top of my list there
KellBell2621 likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I personally wouldn't but that is just me I've always loved the name Lucy but that is SIL/BILs dog's name so it was out the window for me.

April 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it all depends on the person .. I know I wouldn't be able to still use it

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

April 30th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Super Mommy
my mom mentioned the name to my aunt/uncle and they loved it! they chose the name hailey for their dog by the waitress' name they had at lunch that day since they couldnt pick a name lol. they love the name and thought it'd be great if we used it too. im still a little torn between hartlee and haylee but dh is definitely leaning towards haylee so i think we're going to stick with it thanks for all the input!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search