Planned nicknames?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Juste
  • 1 Post By Momtothe6thpower

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Soooo....

My husband and I have decided not to find out the gender in advance, so we've chosen two potential names.

If it is a girl, we are going to name her for our mothers, Kathleen Rosemary, but we would like to call her Rosalie.

If it is a boy, we want to name him Jonathan (father's name) Edmond, but we would like to call him Nemo. Not after the fish...

What we can't decide is if it is too far fetched to create nicknames like this. I mean, I know that Jenna Bush just did a similar thing with Mila from Margaret and Laura, but I just can't decide if it's too strange??

Help?!
May 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I am residing in Thailand, were everybody has a real name AND a nickname at birth. People are always called by their nickname, which is really cool. I too had to find a nickname for myself. I think it s a great idea to have nicknames :-)
May 17th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For me I think it's confusing when the nickname isn't an obviousy nickname like shorty or a shortened version of the real name.

Like in your case - Kathy or Kate. It gets confusing later in life when the name they go by doesn't match their legal name.

If you are going to call you Rosalie, why not just name her Rosalie?

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
May 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=My2miracles;27372017
If you are going to call you Rosalie, why not just name her Rosalie?[/QUOTE]
because they want to honor their parents by usign their parent's name, but the name they like is rosalie.

At least Rosalie is not too far from Rosemary. Compromise by nicknaming your girl Rose! :-)
LessthanThree likes this.
May 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I like the idea!

May 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think it's fine as long as you are aware and okay with the possibility that your child will chose not to keep the nickname once they are in school or potentially at any point in their lives. Nicknames evolve for many reasons, some of which are the parents creating them for ease or because it just happens to be something the child is called a lot in life.

We named our daughter Josephine...but would much, much prefer to not have her called Josie. To prevent this, we have chosen to implement the nickname "Jo" instead. Naturally, we are aware that when she hits school age, if she wants to be a Josie, we will have to adapt. But it's really not that different to use a nickname loosely tied to the name.

My brothers boss goes by Shorti. No one even remembers his real name. All his life his older brothers called him Shorti and it just stuck. So it's not terribly weird to me to nickname a child something sort of "outside the typical" nicknames for their given name.
May 19th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Think that is a great idea. My neice is called Mila
May 20th, 2013, 01:44 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies. I think it works as long as you are alright with them being called something else besides their nicknames as they get older. I have seen that happen to several friends so far.

One example I have recently seen: Franklin Cassius - parents wanted him to be called Cash he is most often called Frankie. . .

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

May 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They might be harder to get to 'stick' but if your committed then go for it!

Personally, I think that Rosemary Kathleen brings together Rosalee better than Kathleen Rosemary.
And on an even more personal preference, I LOVE the name Rosemary nn Romy!
momology likes this.

Tags
baby name , nickname

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search