Torn between two names- need opinions!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: What should I name my (possible) daughter?
Eleanor 9 47.37%
Juliet 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are due with our second baby in October. We don't know the gender and are not finding out until it's born. So if it's a boy, all this stress could be for nothing. We have a boy name picked out- Henry Joseph.

But if it's a girl...I am torn between 2 names. I literally go back and forth every day on what I think she should be called. There are a lot of names I love (I am into old-fashioned, feminine names) but DH is pretty picky so through process of elimination we are down to Eleanor or Juliet. Eleanor I have loved since I was pregnant with my son- love how it is strong and classic and love the nicknames Ella/Ellie. However sometimes I don't think it's "the one" because Ella is SO popular right now and I don't want her to be one of 5 Ella's in her preschool class. My son's name is pretty popular but I didn't know that when I named him (in 2010) so sometimes I think popularity isn't the hugest deal.

And the second choice- I have loved the name Julia all of my life but DH isn't too fond, however he loves Juliet. So that idea was born. My only gripe with it is that my son's name starts with a "J" as well, and I am SO not a matchy-matchy type person. Like, it will bother me if people think I named them both with J's to be cutesy. I've had some people tell me that it will be very noticeable and some people say not really. We MIGHT have a third child (undecided) but if we do, the name will NOT start with a J. I love Juliet because it's pretty and actually way less popular than Eleanor is right now, and certainly less popular than Ella.

As far as the middle name- we are set on giving her a family name as the middle and most likely it will be Gail or Abigail as my Mom's name is Gail and I would love to honor her. However it is also possible her middle name could end up being "Raine" after me (my middle name is Lorraine). So feel free to give me your middle name suggestions too. Like, do you think Juliet Abigail is just way too much of a mouthful?

To give you a better feel for it- my son's name is Jackson Matthew and our last name is 2 syllables and ends with an "ee" sound, rhymes with "Meaney". TIA!!!
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

July 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I like Eleanor Raine I agree, though, that Ella/Ellie is quite popular right now. If it doesn't bother you, use it

Juliet Abigail is also pretty, but it may be a mouthful with the last name. I think just with first and last names, Eleanor Meanie vs. Juliet Meanie... Eleanor wins for me

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like them both! I picked Juliet because I also think Liet could be a cute nickname and its not super popular right now, like Ella. (I also love Elle, Ella, etc. wish it wasn't so popular right now!)

July 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I love both of those names. Eleanor is absolutely beautiful. Eleanor Raine sounds perfect!
July 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I like both, but I'm going Juliet because I think it's prettier as a first name and more unusual at present as well.

Juliet Raine or even Juliet Lorraine sounds nice.

Perhaps Gail or Gayle would work better than the full Abigail if you went with Juliet.

July 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM
April 13th 2014 :)
Juliet Gail - is so cute it's to die for!!! I love Juliet, and you could call her Julie!! It's so pretty and classic!!!! I'm in love!! Gorgeous pick of name!
July 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't vote because I couldn't pick! I love both names! I can see why you are having a hard time. Good luck!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
July 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they are both great name choices - Eleanor won for me after I read your description with DS's name and your last name. WDYT of nicknames like Nora and Norrie? That could get you away from the so popular Ella.

You cant go wrong with these names in my opinion

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

July 29th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Love the idea of Nora for a nick name! Brilliant. Just cements my vote for Eleanor!
July 29th, 2013, 02:12 PM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
I agree - go with Eleanor, and use a nickname like Nora

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

July 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the name Juliet (love Jules as a nn)! I like Juliet Raine is beautiful.
But I also like the name Eleanor Gail! I agree that if you use Eleanor, you should opt opt for Nora as nn.
July 29th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
Eleanor seems so old lady to me. Maybe because that is my grandma's sisters name and she was/is the only Eleanor I have ever known.
Juliet is BEAUTIFUL!!
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
July 30th, 2013, 05:12 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I really like Juliet, I think it's so pretty. And I love Abigail, but I'm not sure of the flow. I like Juliet Raine a lot better.

And I wouldn't use Eleanor, but I love it for other little girls. Definitely not with Abigail- I don't like that flow or style together at ALL. Eleanor Raine is pretty.

July 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for all the responses and votes so far! It really helps. If we went with Eleanor her mn would almost definitely be Gail. I don't really love Eleanor Raine because I think it sounds like it flows into one word- "Eleanorraine". And Eleanor Abigail does sound terrible. Juliet Raine is probably the best combo, IMO. Middle names are hard for us because I will not use a random name, we use family names.

What do you guys think of having two kids with the same first initial? Did anyone else do this, not on purpose? Do people notice?

ETA: I do like Nora as a nickname but have to admit I like Ella better. Wish it wasn't so dang popular. And if we go with Juliet, her nn will be Julie. Have always loved Julie.
& Henry Joseph- born 10/15/13
8 lbs 10 oz and 22" long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search