Non-Traditional Names For Grandma?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Melissa.Anne

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Kitcat10126's Avatar Veteran
I am just over 8 weeks along and my mother is already trying to figure out what the baby will call her! My fiancé and I are young (21) and my mother is in her upper 40's. We have all agreed that she looks and has such a personality too young for "grandma." What names have you used instead???

UPDATE: thanks for all the help! My parents are divorced as well, and both dating new people (awkward). My mother is a teacher (FN is Laura) so she is used to being called many different names!

Last edited by Kitcat10126; August 21st, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
August 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my mother, who is 39, is insisting the baby call her "meemaw".

we're having our daughter call her Nana, which is what i called my grandmother. her other grandma already has other grandkids who call her "mama chandler", so i guess she'll stick with that. i called my other grandma "lulu", because her last name was Lewis.
August 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Super Mommy
My mother just turned 44 and will be a grandma at a young and really really likes nana for a name
August 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really want to be a Nana some day.

Others...
Grammy/Gram
Nanny/Nonny
MiMi
Mammy
Granna

My nephew calls his other Grandma, Honey, because that is what his Grandpa always called her, lol!
August 6th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Veteran
Nan/Nanny is the most popular here in England.
August 6th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Regular
My mom really wanted for them to be Nonny and Poppy...which I hated. Lol. When Avery started talking he started calling her Grammy and now she loves that and all 6 of her grandkids call her Grammy. It's really endearing and super cute coming from tiny mouths!

August 6th, 2013, 06:11 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
My DS calls his grandma GiGi

August 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Gabe View Post
My DS calls his grandma GiGi
Mine does too. My mom is a younger and spirited Grandmother and she literally had a midlife crisis over what she would be called when I was pregnant with my first child. Other names ive heard are Nonny, Yaya, Sassy, Meme...all I can think of right now

August 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
There are plenty of fun options. Some could be based on name (whatever her first name is). And some are just fun options. My mom is Gams. She picked it and I thought it was kinda awkward at first, but it has grown on me, especially since no one else has that name for their grandma. She also debated being "Gramma" and leaving out the "d". I have a good friend whose kids call her MIL "Meeme" and did that on their own (it's pronounced me-m). Very not grandma-like. I have also heard "Noni" and "Oma" which are Italian and German for grandma. And kinda cute in non-old ways.

My mom was also in her 40s when she became a grandma. No one ever believes she is a grandma. She gets called their mom all the time when I am not with her. Lol.

Last edited by ashj_1218; August 7th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
August 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom wants to be Gigi which I think is really cute. You can also look at words for grandma in other languages. I also like Nona and Nonny

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

August 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
All the cute ones I can think of seem to be mentioned, Mimi, Gigi, etc. My mom is in her early 50s and she is Grammy ('like the award' she says lol). GL! The first thing my mom told me when we told her we were pregnant was 'OMG, what is he or she going to call me?!' and she agonized for the rest of my pregnany, LOL.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 12th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mimi & Gigi are the ones I've heard the most that sound "younger" than other versions of grandma.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM
My family has always been big on individual grandparent names (to distinguish between the grandparents, step-grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.). As little kids, we had nicknames for our parents that stemmed from their names (Hollymama for holly and Dadrew for Andrew). When my sister's oldest was born, they took those names and converted them a little for grandparent names, Grandrew and Leema. Some of weren't too keen on the names, but it's really about your parent's relationship with the baby and what suits their personalities best, even as granparents. Now the names are adorable and totally fit and make sense when the babies use them.
August 12th, 2013, 07:53 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
My Mum is in her 40's too and she chose Gran. When I'm a Grandmother I want to be Grammy/Grams.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

August 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
MiMi is my favorite "grandma" name!
August 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
I've heard grandmommy, which is kinda cute! We're going to have a heck of a time with names because both mine and DH's parents are divorced, and remarried... So there are 4 sets! The one I'm struggling with the most is DH's Dad's new wife.... Whom he married earlier this month, after dating 6 months... And we have yet to meet her! (Clearly it wasn't important for his children to even know about this ahead of time).

Call me crazy, but I don't think an impulse move like that earns you a 'grandma' title.
Kitcat10126 likes this.
November 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My inlaws go by Annie- kinda like Grannie but without the gr and papi

Tags
grandma , names

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search