name problem

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2013, 06:23 AM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we already have a name picked out- Yvonne Riley. it's a family name that Nate picked after his aunt who passed away the valentine's day before last. we'd call her Eve or Evie for short. while trying to decide a middle name, my own mentioned that her 4yr old daughter had a dream in which we named the baby Riley, and it just fell into place.

while i love the name Yvonne Riley, it's not something i would have chosen. in fact, my first choice was Siren Audraleah (ah-dra-lay-uh). Nate said it was too different. Yvonne Riley isn't.. glamorous. it flows well and looks beautiful on paper, but my heart isn't in it.

i'm over six months pregnant. his entire family is thrilled that i'm honoring their sister/ daughter/ mother and i'd hate to crush them by mentioning that i'm not in love with the idea. i'm keeping the name; just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for learning to love it.
August 10th, 2013, 07:11 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I love the nn Eve or Evie! Can you just call her that, and get used to that nn? That's a pretty glamorous nn and full of spunk, too If you know you are keeping the name, even if it takes a little longer to kick in, when you see her, it will just melt and you will be comfortable with it

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I'm still having trouble really feeling like my daughter really is her name, but I can't for the life of me imagine her being anything else. I think some things just grow in time. I hope you figure out how you feel, one way or another!

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i've been calling her Eve, and that feels right, but somehow Yvonne doesn't:/ maybe it'll click when i see her.
August 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had/have that issue. My son's name is Douglas Wyatt. He goes by Wyatt because we both hated Douglas, but had to honor family. He's almost 7 and I LOVE the name now. It totally fits. It took a couple years, though, to get used to it.

My oldest dd's name is Ryen Jaede. I wanted something different, but let the hubby decide. I was okay with it at first because it was so "different and spunky." Now I'm like, "Ugh, why did I let him win?" She has a tough time with it and hates that she's the only girl with a boy name. And it doesn't help that her hair has been short since she was 3. She's constantly called a boy and she hates it. I started really hating her name a couple years ago. But, I don't know, we just deal with it and move on. She does have the option of going by a different name if she wants, but she has chosen to just stick with Ryen.

Also, my last dd's name is Penelope, but she goes by Poppy. Rarely does anyone call her Penelope. When we were deciding her name after she was born, the hubby decided at the last minute that we needed a "full name" to put down, not just Poppy. So she was to be only Poppy up until that point. Penelope is just a vessel, which would be the same for Yvonne/Eve. It works.

In the end, honoring always wins out. Give it some time, at least you have the fallback option. Ryen can't fall back on anything because Jaede is equally awful! Haha.

August 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cant you actually name her Eve and just tell his family its a derivative of Yvonne and in her memory??
HippieLove likes this.

August 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I agree... If Eve fits, than Yvonne can be the "formal" name, but really, rarely, do you ever have to call her that It could be her "oh no, I'm in trouble" name

Or, yes, I agree, you could note it as a diminutive of Yvonne and officially name her Eve in honor of Yvonne. That would also be just as acceptable My DD2's mn is May, as a diminutive of Mary from my Grandmother and everyone accepted it and loves the connection!

It sounds like she could very well be an Eve or Evie, but you just have to figure out how to officially list it on the birth certificate Eve? or Yvonne?

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with Memi - it doesnt have to be the exact name to honor the person. I think if you want to name her Eve in honor of Yvonne that would be lovely as well. I think in the end it is most important that you and your DH love the name for your child. Maybe run it past your DH if you like the idea and just see how he feels.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search