Name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Momtothe6thpower

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Lily81972's Avatar Regular
We are having a lil boy and fiance and I decided on James Scott as the name. My mom and two daughters love it but his mom and sister think it is such an old mans name. We really like it since Scott is my fiances name and their are no James in our families. How can we politely say its our kid and we love the name, butt out!

We thought of Andrew Scott but it doesn't go with our daughters names, Stephanie Marie & Kristina Ann. What do you all think? anyone else having this issue?
August 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Stephanie, Kristine and Andrew flows well. Stephanie, Kristine and James is also nice.

James isn't an old man name! Good grief You can always politely point them to the SS name list, where James has ranked anywhere between 12 and 18 in the U.S. in the past 12 years, so LOTS of sweet boys being named James! (and probably the trend continues for several decades, but keeping current, it's NOT an old man name). It's a great, classic and tried/true name. If they don't accept that, well, too bad for them

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 19th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't be polite, I'd just say 'it's my kid and his name is James'.
My2miracles likes this.
August 19th, 2013, 08:54 AM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't stand when family butts into naming a child- they had their chance. It's yours! I think James Scott is lovely

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
August 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Yeah, the funny thing is that they are old! So they're going by their old school values which are no longer valid and just plain wrong! My mum said the same thing about the name Angelina almost 12 years ago (glad I didn't go with it since Angelina Jolie came along!) but it's no longer considered an old lady name. Only you know the perfect name for *your baby. By the way, James is such a classic name I doubt it will ever be considered old.

August 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know a 3 year old James & he difinitely doesn't look or act like an old man!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that's just silly! James is a great name! Andrew is a good name too.

August 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree to me James is a wonderful and classic name not an old man name I also like Andrew as well but I think you just have to go with what you like the most. They wont think it is an old man name when they see it on your adorable little one

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

August 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think it will grow on them. My MIL hasn't liked a single name we have selected for our children (she doesn't much like me either. Lol). But in time, with us using it and attaching a meaning (their grandchild) to it...they always come around. I think it might be best to just continue using the name you love and wait for them to back off. It will happen (unless they are really annoying folk).

And yeah, James is NOT an old persons name. No more or less than Andrew, in my opinion. They are both classical names that can't be linked to a time in history...always stable.
August 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I say if you like it use it!! the best way to tell them it's your choice? DOn't tell them what you are going to name the baby till baby is born.
My parents and grandparents all did the eww thing with my first so I'm on my 5th now and they have not heard a name at all before the baby is born.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search