Are you naming you kids after anyone?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my sisters kid has my middle name.

but my girls aren't name after anyone

af came sep 24 wed nz time
September 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our plan right now is to hold a family tradition of boys initials from DHs side and use my grandfathers name as the middle name (it fits the plan) and for a girl she would loosely (VERY loosely)be named after my DH.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

September 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dd is named after my grandmother. Ds has my father's name as his middle name but his 1st name isn't after anyone.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yes. I think it's very important to include family or close friends in names. I do believe it develops a sense of interconnection. Although certainly not required. Lol. Plus, I always thought that was why we had middle names

We believe each child should have their own first name. Something we love independent of any family connections. Liam and Kieran were just ones we loved. Josephine is also one we loved. But it also happens to hold the nickname that was also my late grandmothers nickname (she was Jo for Joann). Thus we were pleased with its family connection.

Liam is named after my husbands father (first name), my grandfather (middle name but also chosen name to be called), and my husbands brother (middle name). His middle is Thomas.

Kieran is named after my paternal grandmother, the best person on earth, really. His middle is Patrick.

Josephine is named after lots of people in her middle name, although none directly. It's AnnaLee which encompasses me, my mom, my grandmother on each side, and my two aunts. All have versions of Ann or Lee as first or middle names.
September 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
MN's yes First names, no.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My little guy's middle name is after DH's grandfather. But if we'd had a girl it was just going to be 2 names we liked. 2/3 of my siblings and I are named after family, 1 is not. In order to be named after someone, I feel like that person has to have been pretty darn amazing! Unfortunately there are limited people in our lives that live up to that standard!

September 19th, 2013, 05:10 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my daughter's name will be Yvonne Dianne, after her dad's aunt and my nana. both women were like angels just the sweetest people ever, and died the same way: breast cancer which turned to brain cancer within months.
September 22nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
No I'm not me and my kids father find it corny to name a child after someone
September 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son has DH's middle name but my daughter's mn is adalyn. Its sorta named after mine but not really.. mine is Lyn but i always felt it was too boring so i gave her one more interesting. I like the idea of naming after a family member (the nm) but will never choose a name unless i like it.

September 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
Since we are adopting... Yes we may give our baby a middle name after their birth mother or father.

My sister gave her son our little angel's name <3
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
October 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM
stiletto_mom's Avatar Regular
No, though if we have a boy, he will carry DH's initials.
October 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Super Mommy
No, I like kids having their own names and forging their own identities.

Plus, had we given the middle name after one person (like a grandfather, or an aunt or something), how do you choose which one? If we gave the middle name after my father, then I'd feel like we were leaving out DH's father. I'm not going to give the kid 5 middle names to please everyone.

Easier to just start from scratch!

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
October 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM
adi&co.
No. I don't have any opinion on other people naming their kids after people, but I personally haven't had any desire to do it. I caught a lot of flack from my MIL about not naming them after anybody because she named all of hers after relatives. "Who are you going to tell them they're named after? fictional characters?" No, they're not named after anybody! They're named their own name.
October 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
middle names, yes. my daughter mn is Ann - my mom was Judy Ann...DS1 mn is samuel, dh is sam(uel)..DS2 mn will be Jude..again after my mom

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 8th, 2013, 11:20 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we kind of did, but not exactly.

my father's name, paul, is not my style, so i gave my son a name that *reminded* me of my father instead-- clark. all growing up, my mother (and other people i knew!) would refer to my dad as superman, saying that the glasses he wore made him look like clark kent. what's funny is that it seems like it might be a stretch, but my whole extended family knew immediately that clark was in honor of my dad.

similarly, i'm strongly considering the middle name beatrix if dh and i ever have a girl-- the name brings up strong memories of my paternal grandmother, because of her love of beatrix potter's peter rabbit stories.
October 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is named after my grandmother but definitely has her own identity. She is 11 now and finds it a great privalege because I loved my grandmother so much. She's not a little anyone since my grandmother died 20 years before she was born.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 16th, 2013, 06:01 AM
CityLover's Avatar Member
We don't have a child. we're TTC. But we have no plans to name our future kiddos after anyone.
November 18th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I don't plan to name my child after anyone.. my husband is named after his granddad though
November 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If i end up having a girl her middle name would be Marie. Generic i know but its both mine and my partner's middle name and my mom's.
Mom to Ryden, Angel in Heavan 5/21/10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search