Boy names I like - give me some opinions and add to my list

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I'm 27 weeks pregnant. No name picked yet. My first son is named Jasper. I don't want a J or K name. Names that start with vowel sounds don't go with out last name.

Names I like:
*Noah - this is my top name. I'm concerned about the popularity. Would you use a popular name or pick a different name to save your child some grief in school?

*Maverick - Will this name be adult-sounding enough?

*Tristan - No problems with this name. Just a what do you think?

*Taylor - is this just a girl's name these days?

I also like: William, Griffen, Beckett, Spenser, but don't want to use them.

Opinions and suggestions?
October 1st, 2013, 12:19 AM
adi&co.
Personally I would choose another name if the name I loved became too popular. I love maverick! i think it's a good all age group name and would be a cool name when you're a grandpa! Grandpa Maverick. I know Tristan is a boys name, but i always think of a girl when I hear it and I cringe whenever anyway names their boys that, lol! Taylor is more of a girl name to me now, but it is a very acceptable boy name as well. Love Griffen though I would probably spell it Griffin (JMPO)
October 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Super Mommy
I have a hard time picturing any of those names on girls myself.

Maverick sounds like it could work just fine for an adult.

I don't like using very popular names because I had to go through that. What's worse is the male version was also popular that year and they both sounded very similar. There were four kids in my fourth grade class who would all turn when the teacher called one of us. But it all depends on the popularity. Ashley was popular enough to be in the top 30's when we named our daughter, but not in the top 10 so we went with it.
October 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
My favorite from your list is Griffen. I prefer the spelling Griffin , idk why, it just looks better to my eyes.

I'm not a huge Maverick fan, but I agree that it won't be an issue for him as an adult.

Tristan and Taylor sound more unisex to me, only because I know both boys and girls with those names.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
October 1st, 2013, 11:43 AM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my favorite is Maverick. it has a lot of options for nicknames if he thinks it's not "adult" enough.

i think Taylor is more girl than boy, but that it's also a regional thing on whether a unisex name is more boy/girl.
October 1st, 2013, 04:25 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Griffin and Maverick! They're both great sounding names at all phases in life and both can have nicknames. (Griffin *Finn* and Maverick *Mack*)

If Noah was my favorite name and nothing else sounded perfect I would use it. Names today are much more diverse than they were during the Jennifer/Jessica/Michael era. Sure he may know another Noah but chances are there won't be 5 in the same class. The Noah's that I know are very spread out in age.
October 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Super Mommy
Maverick makes me think of nothing but Top Gun...

I wish I could find it again, but I once had a spreadsheet detailing the exact number of each name for the year. The SSA page has an app where you can search by state/year. Popular Baby Names For example, in my state of Virginia there were 512 girls named Sophia last year--the most common girl's name for the state. It's a pretty big state. I'm guessing the odds of there being more than 2 Sophias in one kindergarten class are pretty slim if there are only 512 of them (there are 139 elementary schools (each with multiple kindergartens) in my county alone!)

Basically, if you love a name, use it. Forget about the popularity. Even the most popular names aren't so common as to have every 5th child named Jacob or Emma.

As a middle school teacher, I have 140 students on my roster. I honestly only have a few duplicate names, and most of those aren't their given names (or are actually more obscure). I have 3 Will's, but none are actually William--I have a Willis, Willhelm, and WilliamS. I also have 2 Esther's, and 3 Maryam's.

Only one Ryan, one Michael, and one Emily though. Go figure.

I would pick the name you like...even if it is high up on the popularity list. Give the kiddo one of those more unique names as a middle name if you're worried about it being too common.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
October 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I know a TON of Noah's, so for me, I'd steer from that, but I try my best not to name uber popular names.

I love Maverick and the NN Mack or Mav. Taylor is girlish here, now and Tristan is OK (nephew's name). I LOVE Griffin, too!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
October 2nd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Super Mommy
Maverick makes me think of what they called John McCain during the 2004 elections, although I suppose that reference will be lost of most people.

As far as giving a name that is in the top 5 (Noah), I personally would stay away from it. I'm a Jessica from the 80s and it's not fun to be known as Noah C. or Noah P. or whatever to be differentiated from another person in your class. There are 5 other Jessicas at my company and I'm constantly getting their emails and being accidentally cc'd on stuff that does not concern me. It drives me nuts.
October 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I really like Tristan.
October 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Noah, but it seems pretty popular - which would probably deter me away from it.

Maverick is NMSSA, I really dislike it, sorry.

Tristan I really like, a lot.

Taylor is just too popular IMO.

Of the others you listed, I love Griffin (this spelling). William, Beckett and Spenser are NMS.

Side Note: Jasper is one of my favorite names ever! Love it. I'd personally pair Griffin with Jasper if these names were my choices. Good luck!
October 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM
adi&co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineOctober View Post
I'd personally pair Griffin with Jasper if these names were my choices.

yes!
October 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son's name is Noah. He is 7 and with daycare since he was a baby & then school, we've never run in to another Noah. As far as I know he's the only Noah in his school of 600 kids. So maybe it's just not a popular name in our area.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search