Opinions on not matching siblings names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 02:36 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never cared about my kids names sounding similar or going together. Am I alone with this? My son is Camden and daughter Kylie. Once we picked her name we had several people tell us their names sound good together. We hadn't taken that into consideration.

Now that we're expecting our 3rd I think some will expect her to have a name starting with C or K. Our favorite names right now are Nora and Paisley. Do you think she will ever feel like her name clashes with the others? I don't think it should matter but what if it does..

October 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think Paisley and Kylie are a nice sibset.. and since Kylie and Camden match, it'll be close enough.
October 24th, 2013, 09:31 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think paisley and kylie go together well because they both end in lee....i like nora with the names too..i actually like nora better than paisley with Camden & Kylie

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 25th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat. Our kids names are Callen and Kellsey. We didn't do it on purpose. For a while I was trying to match but couldn't find anything we liked. I say use whatever name you like I don't think it will be a big deal not to match.
amazing_love likes this.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
October 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I think both of those names fit the sibset well! The 3rd name doesnt' have to start with a C or K Go with the name you love! They are only going to be known as so-and-so's sibling for a short period of their lives...

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
October 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks, this makes me feel better about it! I've known so many people who name all of their kids with the same first letter or starting sound.

October 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
adi&co.
i'm with you, i never considered sib sets when naming my kids. neither did my parents!! there are 7 of us:
Jared, Nathanael, Brittanie, Jacob, Adrienne, Nyssa and Zachary. We do all have middles that start with r though.

I'm in the same boat as you though, I've got two with the same sound in the beginning, jamesen and Gemma. Marcus is a little left out, lol
AtomicMama likes this.
October 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You are not alone. I don't get it at all. And the fact is that for most of their lives they will NOT be a sibset - they will be individuals - School, work etc.

Mine are Lucinda (Lucy) and Noah

Edited to add that most of the sibsets I know aren't matchy.

Angel & Michelle
Thomas & Will
Daniel & James
Rowan & Eloise
Justin & Ryan
Bendan & Emily
Jordana & Gianna
Evan & Olivia
Gabriella, Edward & Amelia
Adrian & Julia
Madelyn & Julia
Payton & Sydney

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; October 26th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
October 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
see, i think that all the sib sets ive read in the above posts are matchy. maybe not the same beginning sounds or rhyming, but they definitely match in style.

like camden kylie and paisley. paisley does not hit me as a bizarre choice, because it's the same kind of name.

like, all three names sound very right-now modern.

now, if you said you were strongly considering patricia, id think you were mismatching... because patricia feels like a different decade. nora is a different decade, but it is making a come back now, so it also matches! (there is a theory among name nerds that once a name ages 100 years, it comes back into style. look at the emily's and sophia's now in the top names... they were popular in the early 1900s, and the same is true of a lot of names that are becoming popular again. fingers crossed for a wave of jennifers in 2080!)

and if you said you were considering payzlee, id think you were mismatching, because you are randomly using a kreativ spelling, when your first two were straightforward.

payzlee would match better with, i dunno, camdynne and kaileighh. see what i mean.

and paisley matches where pacencia doesnt.

and reading your list of examples, my2miracles, im seeing a lot of the same- names that match in style. your two, lucy and noah, are both classic revivals, and they totally match!

i think choosing matching names just happens most of the time, without parents even realizing it. you read a list of names, you love some, you hate some, and you dont always quite know why. but a parent that contemplates for a while and ultimately names their first born william is probably not going to name their next one moonbeam. or stryker, or seigfried. itll be james, or robert, because those match, kwim?
October 27th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by topato View Post
see, i think that all the sib sets ive read in the above posts are matchy. maybe not the same beginning sounds or rhyming, but they definitely match in style.

like camden kylie and paisley. paisley does not hit me as a bizarre choice, because it's the same kind of name.

like, all three names sound very right-now modern.

now, if you said you were strongly considering patricia, id think you were mismatching... because patricia feels like a different decade. nora is a different decade, but it is making a come back now, so it also matches! (there is a theory among name nerds that once a name ages 100 years, it comes back into style. look at the emily's and sophia's now in the top names... they were popular in the early 1900s, and the same is true of a lot of names that are becoming popular again. fingers crossed for a wave of jennifers in 2080!)

and if you said you were considering payzlee, id think you were mismatching, because you are randomly using a kreativ spelling, when your first two were straightforward.

payzlee would match better with, i dunno, camdynne and kaileighh. see what i mean.

and paisley matches where pacencia doesnt.

and reading your list of examples, my2miracles, im seeing a lot of the same- names that match in style. your two, lucy and noah, are both classic revivals, and they totally match!

i think choosing matching names just happens most of the time, without parents even realizing it. you read a list of names, you love some, you hate some, and you dont always quite know why. but a parent that contemplates for a while and ultimately names their first born william is probably not going to name their next one moonbeam. or stryker, or seigfried. itll be james, or robert, because those match, kwim?
Exactly!! For example i know a family that has an India, Sarah, Emily and John. Its like woah all so traditional and common...where'd India come from??

As for your sibset I think both names are great but I have always really loved Paisley.
Spottts likes this.

Last edited by Memi; October 27th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
October 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking around here, but I never even thought that matching sibling names was a big thing. My kids are Christopher and Brooke and I come from a family of Jerry, John, Gerald, and Fallingstarr. So I didn't even think about having kids names that go together like others said, they'll be individuals most of their lives.

October 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Just like Topato said, you "match" subconsciously. Certain people have certain naming styles. I haven't seen a set listed here that doesn't "match."

My cousin had one: she has a Brylee and a Helena. I think both are fine, but they are very different styles. I also had a client with Mary, John, Zamir, and Zakai. Like whoa...what changed there? Lol.

But on the whole people like similarly styled names. I don't think the only way to match is with starting sounds/letters or ending sounds. In fact, at some point it becomes redundant and uninspiring in my opinion.
whitehouse1 likes this.
October 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
^What she said!!

I think there is a big difference in being "matchy" and just having a naming style.

We all have different styles and seem to gravitate toward names that fit within that kind of mold. I think all of your names "go together" well because they fit into a certain style... I wouldn't consider them matchy at all though. And I also love your top two names! Great choices!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
October 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
We don't try to match our childrens names. I really don't get having to have names match or begin with the same letter. I agree that most people have a name style they like, so they names do sound nice together. We are expecting our second son, out first is Francis and this baby is Ronin, so not matchy but both are older names. Anyway, I really like both of your name choices and I don't think they clash or anything.

October 29th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think Lucinda and Noah are matchy at all. And naming them had absolutely nothing to do with naming style. Lucinda was named after my grandmother & great grandmother. Not because it's some trendy cool thing to use old names. And if she had been a boy, the name would have been Reese so very different.

And Noah would have been named Jace but dh vetoed it (btw different fathers so naming style had nothing to do with it). Noah was the only name we could agree on.

I can see it with some of the other but hmmm and Angel and Michelle are matchy. Interesting point of view.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my2miracles, i wasn't trying to say you chose the names lucinda and noah because you're trying to be trendy or cool.

lucinda and noah are just from the same era, which is why i said they go together. not "matchy," but they're definitely similar in style. and honestly, reese's last spike in popularity was around that time too, 1910, so i don't think it's really out of left field that you were considering it.

all i was trying to say is that, most of the time, people pick names for their children that sound like the same people had a hand in picking the names. i think yours fit that category, but not all do. the example that boos moo gave in an earlier post-- the jerry john gerald and fallingstarr sibset? one of these things is not like the other... i think that is an uncommon thing to have happen within a family.

and no, i dont think angel and michelle is that out there, either. again, not "matchy", but i can understand someone who chose the name angel later choosing the name michelle, or vice versa. it's not michelle and fallingstarr, to use that example again.
October 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My name is Amanda and my two sisters names are Shannon and Peyton. 3 completely random names that dont really go together (if you ask me) and i never felt disconected or anything like that. the only rensentment i had was i always thought they had more unique names so i got a litle jealous but other than tha, we were totally fine.
October 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Also, they say that a good chunk of people would name their kids differently if given the choice so maybe that has something to do with a person who changes their style. I know with my son's name i liked it because it was unique. I named my daughter Kylie simply because i loved it but had no idea how common it actually was in my area. I hear it quite often and am also surprised she gets called "Kaylee" frequently. My plan this time is definitely going with something less common. I've never heard Nora or Paisley around here so far..

October 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cousins name is Nora, first time id ever heard it and havent heard it on anyone else since she was born

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search