Would you use a to popular name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Karen182
  • 1 Post By mlbsnb

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Regular
I cant decide on girl names. My fav of all time is Sophia and I cant seem to find anything else I like more not matter how hard I try. I looked on the social security website and instead of being number 1 in the state I live in it is number 11 so not as bad. But not they have that cartoon Sofia the first too. I just dont know I keep going back to it, I have never heard it or know anyone personally with the name. I love the names that end in A I'am up to suggestions. I do feel Sophia is a classic beautiful name not one of those trendy names.
November 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Crafty Mommy
As I am reading this, my DD just turned on Sophia the first and the song is playing. Lol! The name is popular, but go with what you like, popular or not. You're at least more likely to find stuff with her name on it!

November 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I personally wouldn't use one that is heard every day, but that kind of stuff is sometimes hard to predict too... so in the end you have to go with what you love! If it doesn't bother you, go for it!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
November 13th, 2013, 08:29 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
Sophia is top of my list but I'm unsure for exactly your reasons.
However I have a Matthew, back before internet, we just love it. He has had another Matthew in his class. Now on his hockey team he has himself, another Matthew and a Mathieu. It doesn't bother us. But if I thought about it I would've thought it would.
I'd rather have a popular name then a really unusual one that people think ***?! Lol
November 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Technically I did - Noah. However, we've only run into 2 Noah's in his 7 year life. 1 was on an opposing baseball team (dad said our Noah was the only 1 they every ran into) and 1 the baby brother Noah's classmate. I honestly don't think there's another Noah in his school of 600 kids.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sophia/Sofia is incredibly popular...its actually the #1 Girl name of 2012, 2011, and was #2 in 2010 per the social security site.

I LOVE Sofia..but I think its going to stay very popular now that it is a Disney Princess name.

I dont see anything wrong with using popular names..I try to stay out of the top 100 but thats just me! If you love a name use it.

November 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Super Mommy
Names today aren't like the names of the 80's, where kids with popular names were likely to have 3 of them in their class. As a teacher, I rarely if ever have duplicates in my class. I teach middle school, so I have 150 kids on my roster. The only repeats I have this year are William/Willhelm/Williams (in 3 different class periods) and Tatiana (2 of those). Last year I had two Jordans, but one of each gender.

If you look at those statistics, look at how many babies were actually named that. Even the most popular name in my state (Sophia, lol) only had 512 babies named that last year. Five hundred. In the whole state. THERE ARE OVER 110 ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS IN MY COUNTY ALONE! If you take into account the 4 surrounding counties, you're at nearly 500 elementary schools. So if all 500 sophias were born within a 30 mile radius of my house, then there would 1 per school on average.

Realistically, your child isn't going to run into 5 other sophias in her class. If you love the name, use it.
ashj_1218 and ducksaresnazzy like this.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
November 13th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
We love it but I would never use it as a first name. WAY to common. We have Sophia or Monroe picked out as a middle name if baby is a girl.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
November 13th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Regular
I meant it was number 11 in my state. Karen thanks for the insight that makes alot of sense,
November 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I love statistics like above! Lol. I am a name statistics dork

But, in short, yes. If I loved a name and it had graced our list for a long time and we had reasons for wanting to use it (liking the sound counts, but it would be even better if it meant something to me), then I would use it.

We thought Liam was different and uncommon. We even checked the SSA website when we were selecting his name and found that in April of 2009, Liam had been in 73rd place on the boys list for 2008. We were cool with that. In 2009, it moved 43 places to 30th. In 2010 it moved from 30th to 15th. And in 2011 it moved to the top ten (I think 5th?) and stayed there for 2012. And I bet for 2013 too. Do I wish it were a little less common? Yes. But do I run into 500 Liam's out in public? No. We know a couple of varying ages. But none in his classes. Do I still love it? Yes. I would probably still select it, even if I knew if would rise so quickly.

If the name were my favorite, it would deter me from using it.
November 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Rainbow Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say if you love the name, who cares if everybody else has it! I only know one Sophia and she is my age (22). Take from me, an Amanda lol granted it can be somewhat frustrating when there are 2 other Amanda's in your class but that only happened once and i dont think that would happen with a Sophia
Mom to Ryden, Angel in Heavan 5/21/10

November 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not much for "common names," so my opinion might not matter all that much, but I would have to be head-over-heels IN LOVE with a name if it were "common." I'm talkin' favorite-name-ever, been-on-the-list-for-years IN LOVE. That being said, I know one Sophia at the school I work at, but I have 4 friends on FB who have Sophias - all under the age of 3. I think it will continue to grow in popularity. So, I guess it's a catch 22. If you love it, use it...but know it's probably going to be really popular. Good luck!
November 18th, 2013, 04:04 AM
go with what you love.. popular or not.. Sophia is a beautiful name I like Olivia too!
December 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think you can really predict how popular a name will be in your area. I have a friend who loved the name but didn't use it because it was so popular. She went with another less popular name. She said she actually wishes she went with the name she loved instead. I would honestly go with the name that I loved, not based on popularity. I would rather have a common name than a crazy unique one!

And like the lady above said about the name Liam. You can never be sure that the name wont skyrocket over night. I didn't know a single Liam a few years ago, and now I know tons! It's crazy how instantly popular names can get. The names Stella, Scarlet and Ruby were very uncommon last year, but they have been popping up everywhere around here. I wouldn't try to name your kid something just because you want to be unique. Choose it because you love it!

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
December 2nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, this is something we felt was important, but I don't think most people care. I find it annoying that there are other Megans in my daughter's class. My son had 3 Ethans in his class of 25 one year. I would find that so frustrating! Instead of just being known by their first name they were known as Ethan P, Ethan M and Ethan S.

I loved being a Susan 20 years after it was popular. I had not one other in my school, while my sister was a Sarah, and had 5 in her class. She hated it enough to legally change her name when she was old enough.

I love classic pretty names too, but I definitely like choosing less popular ones. Marcus wasn't even in the top 100 names, and now he has 1 or 2 others in his whole school, and he loves that and we love that.

Good luck, your new sweetheart will be beautiful, no matter what you pick

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
December 2nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sophia is far too common for me. There are alternative spellings too - Sofia, Sophia - and the similar Sofie, Sophie...all of which are common on ssa.gov. Sofia is 18 and Sophia is 1 so you really have to combine the total births for both spellings. It's a name that will have a similar feel to Jessica or Jennifer in future.
smsturner likes this.
December 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
MusicFanatic79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely I would use a popular name. That's all just personal preference. Both DH and I tend to veer towards popular names, it just happens to be the style and names we love and prefer- so it's likely our future kids will have a name they share with others.

December 4th, 2013, 05:48 AM
LoverOfCities's Avatar Veteran
I agree with the above I tend to prefer popular names, as does my husband. So yep!! I would use whatever I love, despite where it is on the list.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search