Keeping the name a secret

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM
** Mandy **
Our neighbor was pregnant and knew it was a girl. We asked if they had a name picked out and she said "yes, but we aren't telling anyone until she is born."

Have you ever done this or known someone who has? WDYT of it?
Is there a reason why you would do this or a reason why you do tell?

I personally don't mind sharing that information. I like for my baby to be named in the womb and people to get used to calling him/her that. I also think by sharing it is a way of claiming a name you are really set on.

I don't disagree with people who keep it a secret I just find it interesting.

August 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If the u/s said Brody was a girl we were going to keep it a secret, but we had decided this after we had already chose Brody for a boys name and told everyone.

We are going to do it for our next though for two reasons:
1) people aren't going to comment on the name we choose if its already the childs name
2) they won't comment if the name changes at all during the pregnancy

we had a few problems with jims family commenting about stupid stuff, so to avoid this we are just keeping it a secret. Its fun that way, plus since we find out what the child is, its nice for people to still have a surprise

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

August 3rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
MamaBx3
Personally, I would never be able to keep my baby's name a secret LOL I would want to tell everyone .
But that's just my opinion .
I have never known anyone that kept the name a secret .
August 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually know a couple that has kept all their kids names secrets until they were born(they have 6). I can see why people would do it, but their is no way I could keep it to myself

August 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i'd probably tell people online.. but not in real life, b/c i don't want anyone stealing it, and i don't want to hear negative comments from relatives. i'm scared i'd slap someone
August 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Regular
we haven't decided on any names yet but we'll keep it to ourselves when we do. DH is adamant he doesn't want to tell our families as there's bound to be a few negative comments - i thought i'd be happy to tell people, until my mum recently asked if we'd had any ideas and when i mentioned the names we liked she said 'oh no!' to most of them.....! So I'll be keeping quiet too......
August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I would never be able to keep my baby name a secret!! haha, and I havent personally known anyone to keep their babies name a secret
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
August 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I have tried to keep it to myself but can't do it
The reason I wanted to is that I did have a friend who was due before me "steal" the name we had chosen. At her baby shower, we were talking about the names we had chosen (we didn't know what we were having, she knew she was having a girl). Her baby girl was going to be named Megan, ours was going to be Jack for a boy, Isabella for a girl. A few weeks later she had her girl and named her Isabella - I was pissed! Fortunately I soon found out we were having a boy, and before we got pregnant with our girl we had moved to another state - and by then I preferred Mia Isabella anyways. But I still thought that was uncool of her, and if I knew someone in my circle who was expecting a girl right now I would be more likely to keep our name to myself.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
asianmama
we are keeping the middle name secret just so we can announce it in a special way. --its dh's grandmas late husbands name. we told some of the family. and they tried to make us change it--not gonna happen.
August 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
we are keeping the middle name secret just so we can announce it in a special way. --its dh's grandmas late husbands name. we told some of the family. and they tried to make us change it--not gonna happen.[/b]
Hi Lilly

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Gwen
I think I'll be so excited to finally get pregnant that I'll want to share everything with everyone!
August 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
chlodoll
My brother and his wife didnt tell us the names till after their daughters were born. They also didnt find out the sex either. I think they wanted it all to be a surprise. It was kinda exciting to wonder what it was going to be and what they were going to name them. I think they did it that way because they didnt want peoples comments and for the surprise element.
August 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was extremely tempted to keep our DD's name a secret. Before we knew she was a girl, we bad about five names for each sex that we were tossing around, and we got so many negative comments on a lot of them. I felt like if DH and I truly loved the name, it didn't matter if our family had a problem with it, especially since most of their reasons were completely stupid. Like our favorite boy name was Nathan. My dad's reaction: "Like the hot dog?? That kid will never live that down!!" HUH?? When did Nathan become a weird name?? My mom had a problem with the name Adam because it reminded her of the America's Most Wanted Guy's son who was killed. I think they would have grown to like any name we would have given, so I didn't see why I had to deal with their comments.

Still, we weren't able to keep Anna Cristina's name from them. They called us on the phone every day to get it out of us. My mom kept insisting that she wanted to get her towels personalized, buy letters for the wall of her nursery, etc. We held out for a while after DH and I had decided for sure, but we finally were worn down. Then after that, it was bugging us about the spelling.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
August 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
*Stacey*'s Avatar life=laundry
Quote:
I keep it a secret from family and friends. I just don't want negative comments and I hate telling my other pregnant friends my names because I'm afraid they'll use it first or something. However I do like to tell people and get opinions...so that's why I come here. So everyone here will know the name before any family or friends until he/she is born lol[/b]
August 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I will have the hardest time ever keeping it a secret! I don't think I would keep it a secret from you guys though!!
My SIL was pregnant and right after she found out she was preggo her one friend who always copies everything she does got pregnant too,,, my SIL had the names Emma Lynn and Mitchell David picked,,, MY SIL didn't find out what she was having but when her friend went and got her u/s done and found out she was having a girl she went to my SIL's and said "we're naming her Emma Lynn" my SIL was p*ssed,,,, as would I be....... turns out she had a boy in the end anyways.

Quote:
Quote:
I keep it a secret from family and friends. I just don't want negative comments and I hate telling my other pregnant friends my names because I'm afraid they'll use it first or something. However I do like to tell people and get opinions...so that's why I come here. So everyone here will know the name before any family or friends until he/she is born lol[/b]

[/b]
I just have to say Emma is such a pretty little girl!!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

August 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
ok so heres the thing... we were going to name our little girl Danika Rose, but EVERY person we told would get a funny look on their face and make some smart @ss comment about naming her after Danica Patrick (which we were NOT doing) and really it just got old. So my dh and I have decided to name our baby something else only we dont know what now and we highly doubt we are going to tell many people if we do pick one out just b/c we dont want any negative feed back!

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search