Did you name your child or children after anyone?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2014, 04:27 PM
rockermom1313's Avatar Regular
This can be family, fictional charactors or even celebrities. I'm just curious if I'm the only nut job out there. lol

My oldest sons middle names are after Jim Morrison and Armand (from Anne Rice novels).

My middle son's names are a combo of the actor Michael J Fox and his tv character Alex P Keaton from Family Ties.

My youngest sons names are after a JK Rowling character (Draco Malfoy), one of my old best friends who was like my brother and after the greatest guitarist to ever live (Dimebag Darrell Abbott).

Yeah. I'm odd. lol

Despite the names that I have chosen for my boys that are here already, I have some pretty traditional name choices for the hopeful children in the future.

Rosemary - a variation of Mary (my mamaw's name and my husband's mamaw's name)
Louise - the feminine version of my dad's middle name and my mother-in-law's middle name
Margaret - my favorite aunt
Grace - my husband's other mamaw

Waylon - yes after Jennings
Albert - my dad's first name
Garrett - my papaw
Clarence - my husband's papaw

January 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yes. All three of my children have family middle names. And my younger two also have family "nods" in their first name, but not an overt likeness. My second was entirely coincidental that it happened for his first name. But my third was intentional. It meant a lot to me to name any daughter we might have after my moms late mother. We chose a less traditional way of honoring her (went with her nickname and chose another "formal" name that could use the same nickname), but ended up finding out the name had even more ties to her than we thought. It helped that my husband loved the name to start, suggesting it to me rather than me introducing it.
January 21st, 2014, 10:03 PM
I'm planning to name my child, if a boy, Marcus Alexander, Marcus from the Underworld movie, and Alexander from Alexander the Great, sounds weird, I know, but my hubby and I decided on it. I went with Marcus, and he went with Alexander, being fond of history.
amberbanegas likes this.
January 22nd, 2014, 05:27 AM
well i decided my child name Alex
January 22nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
Alexander is a very powerful name. You wouldn't think so because it seems so popular but it's all about making sure your child knows that isn't just the sort of name that you walk around with, it's a name that you uphold.

I'm not kidding my Alexander is probably the most ambitious, regal acting 11 year old in the world. If he doesn't at least become an important part of history or government I will be very surprised.

But the same goes for any name. So many people think that the obligations of naming your kid stops with the birth certificate, then the kindergarten papers. But that is so not true. If you don't really let your kids know WHY you picked that name, WHY it suited them at birth or in a dream even, WHY it was an important enough of a name to grace your child then honestly it becomes nothing better than a label. When I say label, I mean like printed out pattern of symbols to id one object from another. Your kids name is the first important decision you make for their future.

With that being said, yes I do have a son named Draco. Did I really think that one out? I can't be sure. Does his temperament suit his name meaning? By all means, yes. Do I have nightmares that one day my son will lead masses of demons to take over the world? Well, no but now that I have put that thought in my head. lmao. But I have faith that he is being raised to know the power behind his name. The lineage behind his Irish middle name and the serenity of having Abbott as a middle name. I'm hoping they balance out. (Might I add that I'm fairly new to Christianity. I was not a believer until after my youngest was born. I hadn't even read the Bible. But now after naming my son "dragon", I wish I had started earlier.)

Ramble done. lol
AshleyMartinez likes this.
January 23rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with my oldest dd, dh and I were watching the movie Max Payne and I think 1 time in the movie he mentions his wife's name: Allison. That's what we named her! I didn't LOVE the movie I just fell in love with the name.

My 2nd dd is named Claire after the saint.

My son, Cruz is named after his great grandfather who had a very colorful life!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
January 23rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
I've always been an Alice In Wonderland fan. I had put Alice on my list at one point, plus the Resident Evil movies made it a bad-a girl name. It's on my reserve list for the delivery room if the future little one just isn't a Rosemary or a Margaret.
January 24th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dd is named after my grandmother. Technically her middle name isn't after someone but my mom was talking to her friend when we were trying to come up with a middle name to go with Lucinda and her friend Elizabeth said "Elizabeth of course". The minute I said Lucinda Elizabeth it felt right.

We had much debate when my son was born. Dh has 2 dds from his previous marriage that were named after characters in books (Eloise & Rowan). So the minute we found I was pregnant, he said "I've got to go through some books for names" (insert screeching tire noise here)

Yeah no way was my dd from my previous marriage going to be the odd one out - she being named after my grandmother & then the other 3 being named after characters from books.

So it wasn't intentional but we ended up blending the 2 traditions. One day I was driving to work & just thought Noah. So we used Noah and gave him David as a middle name after my dad who had no sons or grandsons. So we got Noah from the Bible & a family name.
Spottts likes this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 24th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Book names are awesome. That is what my bff will do if she ever has any kids. So far the only tradition in naming kids that I've got is that I do the naming. lol. The dad can say a name or two, but in the end I'm the chooser. lol
January 24th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
My baby girl is named after the main character of one of my favorite fantasy books growing up. I wanted something unique and always thought it was a pretty name. Her middle name is my husband's initials: MAE. He always said that if we had a daughter, that's what he wanted her middle name to be. It works pretty well, since she happened to be born in May, too.

I have the name "Lestat" on my list of favorite boy names (from the Anne Rice novels). I don't think my husband would ever go for that, though lol.

January 25th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I used Armand. hehe. It suits my son. He has those elegant, exotic looks. Yeah,.. he's 14 and the girls are noticing BIG time. I'm not eager to join the Grandma section yet. lol
January 26th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockermom1313 View Post
Alexander is a very powerful name. You wouldn't think so because it seems so popular but it's all about making sure your child knows that isn't just the sort of name that you walk around with, it's a name that you uphold.

I'm not kidding my Alexander is probably the most ambitious, regal acting 11 year old in the world. If he doesn't at least become an important part of history or government I will be very surprised.

But the same goes for any name. So many people think that the obligations of naming your kid stops with the birth certificate, then the kindergarten papers. But that is so not true. If you don't really let your kids know WHY you picked that name, WHY it suited them at birth or in a dream even, WHY it was an important enough of a name to grace your child then honestly it becomes nothing better than a label. When I say label, I mean like printed out pattern of symbols to id one object from another. Your kids name is the first important decision you make for their future.

With that being said, yes I do have a son named Draco. Did I really think that one out? I can't be sure. Does his temperament suit his name meaning? By all means, yes. Do I have nightmares that one day my son will lead masses of demons to take over the world? Well, no but now that I have put that thought in my head. lmao. But I have faith that he is being raised to know the power behind his name. The lineage behind his Irish middle name and the serenity of having Abbott as a middle name. I'm hoping they balance out. (Might I add that I'm fairly new to Christianity. I was not a believer until after my youngest was born. I hadn't even read the Bible. But now after naming my son "dragon", I wish I had started earlier.)

Ramble done. lol
All the more reason to go with the name Alexander I do hope too that our future child will be able realize the dreams we have in store for them and is embodied by the names we chose for them. I agree, a name is not just what we put into their birth certificates, it is also our duty for them to be their very best and achieve their dreams
January 26th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Both my children have original first names; I'm a firm believer in giving them their own identity vs _____ Jr or something. DS's middle name is OH's first name and DD's middle name is MIL's first name (my first or middle name just didn't fit with her first name and I adore MIL). I like giving family names for middle names.
January 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I'm not much of a person for the use of "Jr". Plus on my husband's side of the family, there is an awful sort of curse on that. Every baby named the father's name and Jr has passed away, including his older brother. They all die as infants. So being the superstitious Irish girl I am, we will not be going for the "jr thing".
January 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a fan of the junior thing either. My ex was one & went by his middle name. It was confusing for everyone.

BTW my dd has her own identity completely. She was named after my grandmother to honor her memory and give her a strong wonderful name. Not to be a clone. That would have been difficult since my grandmother was dead 20 years before my dd was born. Why not join the 2 people I loved the most in the world - my grandmother who raised me & my beautiful dd who never got the chance to meet her.

January 29th, 2014, 09:18 PM
My middle son has his dad's first name but I chose a different middle name and it suited him more than his first name. lol
January 29th, 2014, 09:23 PM
You absolutely are NOT a NUT! We have 7 year old twins (boy + girl). My husband is really into freestyle motocross and we name our son Deegan after the "Brian Deegan". We love his name and you don't hear it that often.

Rock on!

xoxo twinmom06
January 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
OMG. That is the cutest name ever! Love it!
January 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know a Deagan. I really like that name!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search