Love this name, but do I need to change spelling?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Valerie123

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran
I was a foreign exchange student and my roomate was Cambodian. Her name was Srey (pronounced sir-RAY with the "sir" being a very soft sound).

Here's audio:
How to Pronounce Srey - PronounceNames.com - YouTube

At 17, I was sure I'd use the name if I ever had a girl. My roomate thought that was a great idea- as the name meant "girl" and apparently is quite popular (and she loved her name- its just so pretty!)

Well, my husband isn't sold on it. Our rules for naming are no more than 3 syllables, easy to spell, not on any top 100 lists, and: when someone reads it they intuitively can pronounce it.

It is the last rule he says this name is breaking. So the question is: did you get the right pronounciation? If not- any suggestions for a spelling change?

I've thought of "Serey" as "e" before "r" is traditionally pretty soft.
Sirey I think looks like Sir-ee

Ugh! Good thing is I still have 8 months to convince DH I'm right, lol. His top picks aren't bad, though: Joan or Annabel. I love both of those, too. Truth is, I love most girl names
CaylaDixon2014 likes this.

Team pink! Due on or around 10-01-14.
January 26th, 2014, 06:40 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I got it right away. And I'm not one to know how to pronounce things. I think with there being no vowel, it makes it likely to be said correctly, since the S is diminutive when it's followed by a recognizable sequence (if you followed that AT all!). It's pretty, very unique.
January 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I heard the name (Sa-Yuri) //Not sure how to spell it// And it is similar to Srey. I thought Sirey would be a sure win… No way ANYONE could say it wrong like that.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com
January 31st, 2014, 01:29 PM
I like the name
February 1st, 2014, 09:02 AM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
I think it is pretty and very unique. I don't think you need to change the spelling.

I also really love the name Annabel.
February 1st, 2014, 04:43 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i pronounced it in my head as "swrey". the lack of a letter between the "s" and "r" threw me off. i personally would spell it "Seraye". i'd tack the "e" on the end because plain "Seray" or even "Srey" when i first saw them they looked like masculine names.
February 7th, 2014, 07:40 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is very pretty. I could see leaving the spelling or maybe Serae or Seraye? Very unique

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

February 15th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran
Sounds like the name Soraya. Maybe you can use Suray? Or Soray? For the same sound? Surey looks like Suri/Surrey to me.

"An angel in the book of life wrote down my my baby's birth, then whispered as she shut the book, he's too beautiful for earth."

Gabriel Joseph 10/11/13
February 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I got it and think you should not change it.
February 15th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I have a student who pronounces her name that way. She is Hispanic and spells her name Saray...
February 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The lack of letter between the s & R threw me as well. I was close but would pronounced it as a 1 syllable work instead of 2. I can't write it phonetically lol but it would have sounded more like sr ay.

I think it's very pretty and that some of the other spellings would be easier for people to process. I think my favorite is Serae.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Veteran
It is one syllable- The SR is like the SR in Sri Lanka.

Srey has a lot going on with three sounds in one syllable. Kinda like the word "screech."

I talked to my old roomie: she recommended Serey for an Americanization. It takes the SR and makes it into a full syllable. Serey is also an actual Cambodian name, meaning "beauty"

So, going to go with that, methinks! Although I also like the "Serae" spelling that was suggested, too. Srey is very feminine to me, but that may be because I know a woman with the name. Will have to think about whether "Serey" is masculine looking.

Thanks all, for your input! It has been really helpful.

Last edited by Valerie123; February 18th, 2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: To avoid double post
February 18th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your original post had it as 2 syllables --- Sir-ray so I'm not sure why you are now saying it's only 1. Sir ay to me is 2 syllables. Not knowing I would pronounce it like gray with an s instead of a g. 1 syllable. I would not pronounce SR like SRI. Not to mention to me Sri Lanka is pronounced Shree Lanka.

All that being said, I think it's a pretty name. It's ok to go with the original spelling of Srey. Just know that she will spend a lifetime correcting people. If your ok with that go with it. I have an easy to pronounce American name & live in America and get my name misprounounce all the time. I deal with.

Kristin (nothing tricky at all just Kris tin) but I get Kristine, Kirsten, Kyrsten, Christian - you name it.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; February 18th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
February 19th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. In the original post I tried to be clear that sir was a sound, not a syllable. But, I posted an audio link because I knew my explaination was a bit confusing.

In English we don't really have any words that start with the "sr" sound. So that is why I spelled out the pronounciation as "sir".

I'm sorry if my last post came across as rude in any way: that wasn't my intention at all.

But you are 100% correct: Srey does rhyme with grey... Wish I'd have thought of that one- it is a great way to get the idea of the sound across. So, if I do go with Srey I'll def. use that explanation instead!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search