Jenny

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Super Mommy
What do you think about the name Jenny as a given first name, instead of a nickname for Jennifer? I have a close friend whose given name is Jenny, not Jennifer.

February 23rd, 2014, 05:14 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I think its a lovely idea! I'm biased though because my name is Jennifer. I never went by Jenny but in college some friends started calling me Jenny and I now love it as a name. I don't know any children with that name, like Jessica and Michelle its really gone out of fashion.

I wanted to consider Ginny for our daughter, but obviously to close to my own name.

Pinterest
Flickr
February 23rd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not my style but it's nice enough.

We have a Jenny, given name, at my kids elementary school. There are two Abby, a Graci, and a Patti all as given first names. None are related. It throws me off for a second the first time I read it, expecting to see the longer version, but after then I'm used to it.
February 23rd, 2014, 07:06 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
If she is in our age group...that was fairly uncommon back then. Now people do it all the time.

I don't love the idea of not giving a longer, more formal name. I just don't know that a professional woman wants to always be "Jenny" for everything. There is a certain image that comes with a cutsie name that doesn't necessarily lend itself to formal use. And, yes, we should not judge someone based on a name, but it happens all the time and probably won't change. I prefer the longer versions so the child has room to select a nickname based on the situation or their desires. We named our daughter Josephine with every intention of only calling her Jo. But I wouldn't even consider only calling her Jo as a formal name. Just because we don't use Josephine, doesn't mean she might not want it someday for her college applications. Or even just when she is in second grade and wants a girly name. I sometimes wish my name wasn't so "cutsie." It's obviously not the same, since it's not short for anything. But I think my name implies a degree of informalness that I could do without in some arenas.

(And often, I hear people say "we never will call them "Alexander" so why use it?" But we didn't intend to call Josephine her full name...and yet we do!)
February 26th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My neighbor's given name is Jennie. I would say the only thing she deals with is people assume it's short for Jennifer and will call her that.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 27th, 2014, 09:39 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if Jenna can be used a full name, I don't see why Jenny can't.

March 1st, 2014, 12:08 PM
I like it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search