I keep going back and forth between Brooke and Remi! Opinions?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By JBMadd2
  • 1 Post By Baby3September
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By wiccan mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Veteran
We have been going back and forth for months trying to name our (likely) daughter. We like both Brooke and Remi. For Remi, we would want a longer form that Remi could be short for. I've heard some people say that Brooke is outdated, like an 80's name. Do others think this? I've heard that Remi is more of a boy's name. I don't love 1 syllable girl names, but I do like Brooke, but don't like Brooklyn. Help please!! My other kids names are Shea (boy) and Summer. Our last name starts with an R and has 2 syllables... another concern for the Remi choice. Not sure what to do!
April 13th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think Brooke is too dated. It would be my choice from your names. It's been between 43 and 104 on the Social Security list of baby names from 1980-2012. Popular Baby Names

I'm not a big fan of alliteration in names so Remi R------ wouldn't be my fav. But if the last names is 2 syllables with the 2nd syllable stressed (not the first) then the alliteration wouldn't stand out as much.

You guys could wait until baby is born and see which name she looks like.
Baby3September likes this.
April 13th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Super Mommy
I like them both! We have pretty much settled on Brooke for this new LO (it is my middle name) but I swear it is the most difficult name to pair with a middle name I have ever encountered I do not think it is dated sounding at all (but again maybe I am partial lol) but a good name for either a child or adult. I think I had mentioned before that I know someone w a Remi and love the uniqueness of it! I kinda agree w not being a fan of the alliteration between first and last names but know that seems to be the opinion of the minority since I encounter kids all the time with the same letters.

April 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran
Thank you both! Yes, I agree that Brooke is hard to pair with a middle name. My first name is Kathryn/Kate so we would probably use Kathryn as a middle name for Brooke, and if we go with Remi, it would be Remi Kate. I think with Brooke as a first name, you need a longer sounding middle name, ideally one with stress on the first syllable. Brooke Madeline, Brooke Avery, Brooke Riley, etc...
Spottts likes this.
April 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Super Mommy
I like your combinations!
Our highest contenders are Brooke Susanne (I'm not crazy about Susanne but it's another family name and I like it with Brooke) or Brooke Elise. Other options that were thrown out but then shot down were Brooke Simone or Brooke Evangeline (Evan being a family and that being a spin off of it).

April 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still love Remi

April 13th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran
JBMadd2- Brooke Elise would be my favorite of your combinations, but both are very pretty.
April 14th, 2014, 04:16 AM
MusicFanatic79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sorta like Brooke I don't feel it's incredibly dated, feels a little refreshing.

April 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Regular
Another one vote for Remi here.
April 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I won't be any help! Lol. I don't think Brooke is dated, nor do I think it would sound bad to use Remi even with an "R" last name. Sometimes it really works to have the double letters. I always think of them being an author or an actor or something with that type of name.

Personally, I like Remi more. Your names are already a tad untraditional and I think Remi is cute alongside your other two names. And it's different, which I like. Brooke is not dated to me, but kinda bland (totally an opinion). I just feel like its a little uninteresting, but Summer and Shea are pretty interesting, so I think Remi fits better.
April 15th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the name Brooke and think it's very pretty but I prefer Remi for you. They are such different names but I think Remi fits with your kid's names.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
April 15th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I prefer Brooke by a long shot. I don't think it's hard to pair with a middle name.

Brooke Elizabeth
Brooke Elyse
Brooke Ashlyn
Brooke Addyson
Brooke Eloise

And Brooke Kathryn is beautiful.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
April 15th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran
Thank you everyone for your opinions and points. It is so nice to hear different points of view. It seems like the more I think about these names, the less objective I become. Hearing your input is like a breath of fresh air!
April 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
wiccan mommy's Avatar Regular
SO and I already picked a girls name. Abigale Lynn. Were still working on a boys name
robinerikson likes this.
April 27th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiccan mommy View Post
SO and I already picked a girls name. Abigale Lynn. Were still working on a boys name
Cute name. I like it. Personally, I really find it hard to make a name for a boy.
April 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Brooke!

Brooke Alexandra is my favorite "Brooke" combo

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 29th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Veteran
Remi is my dad's name, but I also had a (female) friend named Remi in high school. It was short for a long and complicated Indian name that I will not attempt to spell.

For me, Remi is a boy's name, but if you live in an area without many french speakers, I think it does quite well as a girl name too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search