Discussion: Name Spelling

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
So, what are the strange ways you've seen "normal" names spelled? Which do you think is the silliest? Do you think this practice makes a name "unique" ? Are there some that you prefer spelled the "new" way? Opinions on reinvented spelling overall?

My name itself is a strange spelling. Cristi. Never met anyone else who spells it this way, and people are always spelling it a more "normal" way until I correct them. Even family members get it wrong.

I don't think changing the spelling makes a name unique, especially when the name is still pronounced the same. There are some names that I think look nicer spelled new ways though. A friend pointed out the name Michaela for example. A lot of people spell it Mikayla. I think that looks more feminine and makes the pronounciation more simple too.

Overall I think small changes are ok, but when people go all nuts trying to make a name unique and add letters where not necessary or confusing letter combinations I think it gets silly, and doesn't do anything to make the child look unique, but serves more as a statement about the parent(s).

Silliest I've seen (lately) is Kaelyee. Too many e's IMO. Too many letters, period.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
** Mandy **
I agree that I don't think changing the spelling makes a name unique since the name is still pronounced the same. To me it just looks like the parents are trying too hard to make something unique that isn't. I think it just makes it more confusing.

There are some names that I've seen many common spellings of such as Keri, Cari, Kerrie, Kerri, etc... and that kind of thing I can see. At least it is obvious how you pronounce the name.

August 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Veteran
Heh. "Inventive" spelling bugs me, too. The name that is the worst culprit of this to me has got to be Caitlin!

Caitleen, Caitilan, Caitlan, Caitland, Caitlinn, Caitlyn, Caitlynn, Catelyn, Catlin, Catline, Catlyn, Caytlin,Kaitlan, Kaitleen, Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kaitlynn, Katelin, Kateline, Katelinn, Katelyn, Katelynn, Katlin, Katlyn, Katlynn, Katlynne

All pronounced the same way, but some seriously weird spellings in there. If nothing else, I prefer people to spell names "traditionally" to make it easier to buy things for the kids with names printed on them. I can find a keychain, stickers, or pencils with "Jason" on it, not so easy to get "Jaesynn".

~~Amanda
August 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I HATE this! There is nothing that irritates me more...Especially if it's a name I really love I feel like it almost diminishes the value of the name. Little changes, like Madelyn instead of Madeline, those are fine, but when you spell Genavieve: Jennaveeve, I have to draw the line. That's not unique, it's silly. I hate it when people misspell my daughters name too...every time I see it spelled Mattaya I want to scream !
August 18th, 2006, 04:38 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I just posted about a co-worker who spelled her daughters name JENUA and pronounces it JANAY...it does drive me crazy and as a preschool teacher, I have seen it get pretty ridiculous. I had a girl in my class last year who's name was Maddalynne. Poor kid.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I agree with you !! Kaelyee does look veryyy foolish!!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
August 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Emily! (suthernWVswthrt)
August 19th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Ok well i am not against differnt spellings, my son is Tieler not Tyler....But you can look at it, and it is....TIE and LER it is OBVIOUS about how to pronounce it....[/b]
I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm *really* glad you put a pronunciation guide next to his name. I would *not* have realized it should be pronounced like "Tyler".... When I first saw it, the little voice in my head pronounced it "Ti-Ye-Ler". I hate to say it, but I'm betting that his name is mispronounced "Ti-Ye-Ler" a lot as he gets older.

~~Amanda
August 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Quote:
I agree with you !! Kaelyee does look veryyy foolish!![/b]

Her older brother is named Khaie! (Ky)

Nice sounding names totally screwed up by the silly spellings Just makes it look like the mom is immature IMO, (which it so happens she was when she named them, 17 & 19 when they were born).

August 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So because someone is 17 or 19 when they had their child, makes them immature? I know a lot of 17, 18, 19 year olds that are a lot more mature than 25, 26, 27 year olds. Your comment makes very little sense.
August 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
There are plenty of mature 17 year olds but she was not one of them.
She made many immature decisions the first one being trying to get pregnant while still in high school, then getting pregnnant a 2nd time to be able to stay on welfare, smoking while pregnant, around the kids, squandering welfare money on cigarettes and concert tickets instead of good food for the kids, pretty much making the stereotype of teen mom worse for all the good ones. That to me is immaturity. She's 25 now and has grown up a lot since then and would say the same thing herself.

About thinking that spelling your child's name silly indicates immaturity, I do think that . Sorry if you find that insulting but that's my opinion. In my opinion some people try way too hard to be the most unique at the expense of their children, and that to me is immature. At any age. Kids are not accessories to make us look more cool or different than the next person. You see it all the time with celebrities. Who can have the weirdest name of the moment. Attention needy, selfish and immature. In MY opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

August 20th, 2006, 08:16 AM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I tend to agree with PicklesMama...I have been a preschool/daycare teacher for going on 9 years and I can remember EVERY child's name in my program, and to be honest, the majority of the "inventive" spelling names are from younger parents. In fact the one I mentioned above Madalynne, is a single mom who is only 17. I could probably sit down and look at all my rosters over the years and look at all "inventive" spellings and find that most of the moms were young. You would rarely see a 38 year old woman naming their baby some crazy spelling as they know the realties of what that child will go through with people trying to find out how to prounounce as well as a child that struggles enough with writing "CAT" and now has to try and write a name that has 12 letters instead of the 6 or 7 that it truly requires in the traditional spelling. It's a realistic problem nowadays and I agree with PicklesMom about it being for younger parents. Not necessarily "immature" parents but definitely younger parents nonetheless. That's just my opinion and my findings in my occupatoin.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree with PicklesMama here. I think it does indicate some level of immaturity...not in every case but in many cases. I would never give my child a strange spelling because, working in a professional environment, I see how people with strange misspelled names get looked at. One example-the other day I gave a resume to one of the lawyers I work with. The name on the resume was Dawnaevin. She laughed when she saw that and said that it took her about 5 minutes to realize that the name is pronounced Donavan. Now, correct me if I''m wrong, but when I submit a resume, I don't want the employer to look at my name and LAUGH! These are the kind of things I try to consider when I name my child...maybe someone who is young and has never worked in a professional environment wouldn't. Plus I just think it looks bad...I don't know, just personally I would stick with the traditional spelling, or maybe change a letter here or there. But I don't think it's fair to have a completely "out there" spelling and then get upset when no one can figure out how to pronounce it...JMO though.

ETA-Just thought of another example...my roomate has a son named Malachi, only she spells it Malikaii. No one EVER pronounces it right, and she's seriously considering changing it now because of all the problems she's having with it already, and her son is only 9 months old!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search