That "aiden" thing

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2006, 11:26 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Been thinking about the Aiden/Caiden/Jaiden thing again

Yet another person I know has named their baby boy Aiden, just this week. I think this makes 5 or 6 that I know, since January 2006! So if it's so popular, why is it not higher up on the SSN names list? Strange. Add to that 1 Caiden and 1 Jaiden born this year. These are just babies that I actually know, not counting here on JM. The "aiden" sound/ending has got to be one of the most popular for sure, I think it's the different spellings that are keeping it from ranking higher. Since I can't sleep I looked up all the spellings I could think of. Interestingly, while many people consider these names to be unisex, the rankings show them to be predominantly male, with the exception of those spelled with a "dyn" ending.

Here's what I found from the Social Security top 1000 rankings from 2005:

Aiden only came up as a boys name within the top 1000.

Aiden 43 male
Aidan 49 male
Ayden 147 male
Aden 280 male
Adan 286 male
Aydan 650 male

Caiden appeared as almost all male as well, with one exception, which ranked much further down. However the similar Cadence appeared only in the girls rankings.

Caden 98 male
Kaden 101 male
Cayden 222 male
Kaiden 249 male
Kayden 255 male 627 female
Caiden 348 male

Cadence 205 female
Kadence 345 female
Kaydence 357 female

Hayden appeared as both male and female, but with the male ranked much much more common.

Hayden 77 male 417 female
Haden 861 male

Jaiden appeared the most unisex, but still ranked more common among boys than girls, except versions ending in "dyn".

Jayden 54 male 224 female
Jaden 88 male 280 female
Jaiden 223 male 468 female
Jadyn 249 female
Jadon 424 male
Jaidyn 600 female

It seems to me that these rankings add up make the "aiden" ending the most popular in names today. Y'think?
Then I got to thinking - why just those 4 names though? Why not Raiden, Paiden, Taiden, and so on?
Name trends are pretty fascinating.

ETA:

Brayden 80 male
Braden 132 male
Braeden 323 male
Braydon 384 male
Braiden 581 male
Braedon 760 male

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Debbie*TTC's Avatar Regular
Send a message via MSN to Debbie*TTC
I think that Raiden, Paiden and Taiden will eventually become popular too when the moms that want a name that ''fits in'' but isn't ''popular'' they will go with one of those so that it is different, I have heard of millions of the normal Aidan, Brayden, Caden's etc but right now I have heard of 1 Raidyn, 1 Raiden, 1 Paeden and 1 Tayden so I bet that they will become popular too. The only one I like is Aidan but I don't love it and wouldn't use it anyway.

</div><div align="center"></div>
August 22nd, 2006, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aidan used to be one of my favorite names, now, unfortunately, I feel it's unusable because of all the "cre8tyve" spellings and variations. Rayden, Jayden, Hayden, Brayden, all of the above on a girl...I could go one for days. I actually recently met a Zayden I don't understand why people think that putting a different letter in front of the name and spelling it wacky makes it unique. However, it's gotten to the point where when I see a little BOY named Aidan with his name spelled properly, I find it very refreshing!
August 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
*Stacey*'s Avatar life=laundry
They are very popular here, my DD's kindergarten class has a Braeden, an Aidan, a Hayden and a Jayden!
August 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Quote:
However, it's gotten to the point where when I see a little BOY named Aidan with his name spelled properly, I find it very refreshing![/b]
I agree. I really do like the name Aidan, have since about 10th grade - just as you spelled it, and for a boy. I don't like when a name I like gets too popular but it happens. When we named Mia it wasn't even in the top 50 and now it's 17 nationwide, and in the top 5 in several states. I guess I should take it as a compliment of my good taste in names? LOL

Quote:
They are very popular here, my DD's kindergarten class has a Braeden, an Aidan, a Hayden and a Jayden![/b]
Ah, I forgot about Braeden! Now I will have to go see if that name apperars in the top 1000 and by which spellings

ETA:
Brayden 80 male
Braden 132 male
Braeden 323 male
Braydon 384 male
Braiden 581 male
Braedon 760 male

August 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
That's crazy, I thought they would be higher up for sure!! I also think Jaiden/Kaiden/Aiden are boy's names that jmo tho
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
August 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
They are very popular here, my DD's kindergarten class has a Braeden, an Aidan, a Hayden and a Jayden![/b]
ROFL! That would by my worst nightmare if I had named my kid Cayden. LOL

I love the -aidan names but they are SO extremely popular right now that I bet your dd's class isn't the only one where the teacher calls roll and every other name is an -aidan name. And in just a few years from now when all the recently born -aidan babies start school, I can't imagine how many there will be.
August 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Quote:
I dont see why its such a big deal. You guys know that my dd's name is Jaiden, which I find to be feminine!!!! I have met a couple other Jaidens (whatever the spelling) but not as many Jacobs, Michaels or Emilys or Makenzies.
Its probably more on the boards I go to but on everyones list is Isabelle, Sophia, Emma, Emily, Madison, MADELINE, Makenna, Makensie, Hazel. etc, etc, etc.
It just seems silly to have a thread dedicated to complaining about a certain type of name esp when you know people have kids with these names that come to this board.
My feelings are not hurt nor am I offended but when I see all the complaining about a certain name over and over it makes me say blah, blah, blah....[/b]
I'm glad you aren't hurt or offended, since nowhere in my post did I criticize your daughter's name or anyone else's child named one of those variations. It was simply an observation on the popularity of the "aiden" sound and all the different ways to spell it. There was nothing negative said, in fact, I like many of them. You are right, my own daughters names Mia & Isabella rank higher than all the "aiden" names on their own - I was observing that if you added up all the times a name appeared spelled differently and classified that as 1 name, I think it may rank as one of the most popular. This does not make it a bad name! Try not to take it personally. Yes, sometimes names get criticized on this board, and some pretty harshly - but this was not one of those times

August 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think Jaiden is kinda feminine, if I heard it and didn't know the gender I would think girl. I'm not really a fan of Aidan, Jaiden or Caden personally but there are 2 Aidan's in my new class this year.

the only similar name i like is Brayden.

August 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only one I was a fan of was Caden,,, prior to the massive popularity,,, Like even a year ago around here you wouldn't hear the name much,, but it seems like every other baby born in 2006 has a name like this.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

August 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always loved the name Aidan for a little boy, for almost 10 years! Then when it came time to actually have a little boy it was so popular I just couldn't do it. Plus my mil pronounced it "eye-den" and that would just drive me absolutely crazy so I will never use it for that reason (even if it ever becomes less popular).

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search