Baby's Named a Bad Bad Thing

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
This is a funny website that does criticize baby names: Baby's Named A Bad Bad Thing
It is pretty harshly critical though so if you have given your kid an unusual name and are easily offended you may not want to go there

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
Thank you!! That site is hysterical and has me in stitches. I will have to say that I agree with it. Tee hee.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

August 22nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hahaha, I'd gone there before, and it's hilarious!
August 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I missed the search box my first visit - it was with some apprehension I went back and keyed in Angus (my thirdborn) but whew, didn't find anything. I thought for sure that it would be made fun of - even my firends teased that he would be called Beefy etc.
I did warn you it was pretty harsh - sorry!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I go there from time to time...and ok, sometimes I post if I see a truly horrific name (Like Abcde, or Sparkle'Lynn) but mostly I just sit back and watch the trainwreck unfold...I think there are times they totally cross the line there and I feel bad that some of them are evil and seem to find people to pick on relentlessly (Like J&E's mom) but for the most part I think it's all in good fun! But yeah, don't go there if you're easily offended, you'll probobly have an anuerism!
August 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Azlynn's Avatar Veteran
ok some of these comments are a little harsh but I found a few them quite funny......

"For girls, I like Brielle, Ashlynn, Brooklynn, and Madelyn, and he likes TIFFANY. He refuses to bend!! I don't really mind it, but it was never one of my favorites. What do you think of Tiffany??

comment: "She's okay, but Debbie Gibson could write her own songs." <perhaps I find this so funny because I used to listen to Tiffany & Debbie Gibson

"Phoenix (she was conceived in Phoenix)"

comment: "Every kid thinks the idea their parents have sex is nasty. So why oh why would you want to remind them of it every single time someone calls their name"

<I never really understood the idea behind naming after the place of conception, but maybe that's just me. It's ok if it's "London or "Brooklyn" I suppose but what about when it's "Living Room" or "Holiday Inn"

"I like normal names like:
Lilliana
Lynna
Miranda ( i can't believe i just typed that)"

comment: "And you're a dirty ##### for liking a WEIRD name like Miranda"

Most of these aren't personal attacks, or at least I don't think that's the spirit they were meant. Some of the "unusual" or "trendy" names are bound to get snide comments from time to time, even the "classics" get flack from some. I'm guilty of it myself, I know I've made the comment that Tiffany, Destiny & Paris are stripper names. I am not attacking any particular child or woman with that name it's just the first image that comes to mind.

BTW Jaiden & Everleigh's Mom, I go to BNA once in a while and I saw (and responded) to that ridiculous thread about the name Emerson on a girl. Not sure if this is the post you're speaking about over there but I do find the majority of the users on that forum to be rude, negative, and self serving. I might also mention that quite a few of the profiles list their ages as 15, 17 etc. so I wouldn't take too much personal I just keep posting there on occasion, I'm sure they detest some of my "trendy" names and comments =p
August 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I agree it was funny and many of the names touched on a post we just had regarding crazy spellings. Who knew they could get so "out there"? But on the other hand, many of the names that they called bad...seemed just fine to me.

There's a webpage for everything nowadays and you may say that those people have nothing to do but make up mean comments about baby names...but look at how much attention and hits they have gotten from us! They must be doing something right!

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
August 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK...now let me just go out on a limb here. Are there people on the site who are rude, hateful and self-serving? Yes. But there are people like that everywhere. There are people like that on Justmommies, but I would hardly classify this whole board that way because of those people. The thing you have to realize is that it's kind of like a little subculture there...when I first saw it I had a mixed reaction-somewhere between "this is ##### hilarious!" and "wow, these girls are MEAN!!!" But I've been a "member" of sorts there for a while. And I'll fess up to the fact that I have said some not-so-nice things myself-when I was going through the beginning of my pregnancy and alot of really bad stuff was going on in my life and I kinda hated the world, I used it as an outlet. But than I had a reality check, and realized that that's not the kind of person I am. So I still post but I try to be a little more sympathetic to peoples feelings now...and I have stood up for people when it seemed like they werebeing vicious and focusing in on one person, and going beyond making fun of the actual name to attacking the person behind it, as do others. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is dig a little deeper and you will see that the entire site is not about making fun of bad names. Is that a part of it? Sure...but there are also serious discussions going on about politics, parenting, pregnancy, stuff like that on the different forums (the one making fun of baby names is just one of many) And it's perfectly within ones rights to make fun or horrible names like Sparklezz or Timberlan...we all know we do it behind closed doors But really, if you look beyond that aspect there is a genuine community there, just like on any other board. So I really dont think it's fair to classify that whole board as horrible and say that whoever posts there is "sad" and has nothing better to do...It's not all like that.
August 23rd, 2006, 04:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Rebecca,

While there may be some good people/women on there I stand by what I said. I havent spent much time there looking around at all the different categories nor do I want to. My feelings are a bit jaded towards this site.

I stand by what I said........most of those girls are sad. I dont care how bad life is for someone, its no excuse to go ape$hyt and to seek someone out just to upset them because life isnt treating them fairly. It may seem like fun but having your kids or there names made fun of isnt right. While some/most dont like my dd's names I dont think they are so hideous that they deserved the terrible comments they were getting.....certainly not the 4+ pages...or however many there ended up being. I am mainly speaking about the girl in my post who sought me out just to upset me. I was really happy that it just happend to be right when I found out about the site so I was already on to her since she was telling everyone her materplan against me.

My life has sucked alot but I would never nor have I ever sought someone out just to upset them because I was having a hard time with life.........that is pathetic. Esp someone who has never harmed me or talked to me. That little subculture represents that site IMO. I would never want to be a part of anything like that but to each his/her own.[/b]
I don't know if your talking about me here (in regards to someone going ape$hyt b/c their life sucks or using that as an excuse to make fun of people ) but I did apoligize...and regardless I was never one of the people who went crazy attacking and seeking anyone out...I try very hard to avoid that like I said. I barely ever post there now (except for in the personal discussions, debates, and advice section) and I'm never mean spirited. Not everyone there is like that, that's all I am saying...but I don't blame you for hating them after what they did to you...and FTR last time they started in on you again I told them to cut the cr@p and leave you alone b/c they were crossing a line (and they did after that, I haven't seen your name brought up there since)
August 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rebecca,

While there may be some good people/women on there I stand by what I said. I havent spent much time there looking around at all the different categories nor do I want to. My feelings are a bit jaded towards this site.

I stand by what I said........most of those girls are sad. I dont care how bad life is for someone, its no excuse to go ape$hyt and to seek someone out just to upset them because life isnt treating them fairly. It may seem like fun but having your kids or there names made fun of isnt right. While some/most dont like my dd's names I dont think they are so hideous that they deserved the terrible comments they were getting.....certainly not the 4+ pages...or however many there ended up being. I am mainly speaking about the girl in my post who sought me out just to upset me. I was really happy that it just happend to be right when I found out about the site so I was already on to her since she was telling everyone her materplan against me.

My life has sucked alot but I would never nor have I ever sought someone out just to upset them because I was having a hard time with life.........that is pathetic. Esp someone who has never harmed me or talked to me. That little subculture represents that site IMO. I would never want to be a part of anything like that but to each his/her own.[/b]
I don't know if your talking about me here (in regards to someone going ape$hyt b/c their life sucks or using that as an excuse to make fun of people ) but I did apoligize...and regardless I was never one of the people who went crazy attacking and seeking anyone out...I try very hard to avoid that like I said. I barely ever post there now (except for in the personal discussions, debates, and advice section) and I'm never mean spirited. Not everyone there is like that, that's all I am saying...but I don't blame you for hating them after what they did to you...and FTR last time they started in on you again I told them to cut the cr@p and leave you alone b/c they were crossing a line (and they did after that, I haven't seen your name brought up there since)
[/b]
Rebecca,

I wasnt talking about you. I think you are a very genuinely nice person whom I like and really want to stay on good terms with because I like coming here and want to feel okay about coming here. I dont want nor do I have any problems with anyone. I may have not worded what I was saying well but I was taking what you said about your life and applying it to the person who was attacking me. I kind of applied your feelings as thats what everyone there must be feeling or thats why they are doing what they do........going ape$hyte......lol. I really am over this and didnt want to or mean to offend or hurt your feelings. I am feeling alittle emotional myself right now.

I
[/b]
Ok good I just wanted to make sure I hate these dang hormones lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search