~~ Discussion ~~

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my boyfriends side of the family, there seems to be a lot of people who think they can "call" names even though they aren't ttc or expecting.... WDYT of this? Should you avoid the names they have chosen even if you are ttc or expecting and you love that name??

His cousins have called the names Ava Grace, Parker Madison and Owen Christopher

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

August 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um...NO! That is one of the silliest things I have ever heard I mean, you shouldnt "steal" a name on purpose, but the people actually having the child can name them whatever they want.

August 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
That's stupid. They should shut up and not blab their fave name if they don't want it "stolen"!!!

How ridiculous.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

August 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Gwen
That's ridiculous!
August 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
My half sister has "called" Michael for her someday son's name. Since it is her father's name, as well as her husband's, I have no problem honoring her request. That said, it IS just a request - and if I loved the name and had my own reasons for wanting to use it, I would. After all, she's not expecting, if and when she does have a baby it could be a girl - or she could change her mind by then. So no, I don't think you can put dibs on a name and expect family and friends to honor that - and you take your chances even mentioning it - you may actually end up inadvertently suggesting the name to them when they otherwise may not have thought of it!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hahahah that's funny! When you get PG again you should tell them that baby Ava Grace or Owen Christopher is cooking, just to piss them off.

That's very silly. I can see liking a name and saying you want to use it, but it's silly to "reserve" a name.
August 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This happened to me and is the main reason Kara's name is Kara and not Kayla.

Since I was about 7 or so I wanted to name my daughter Kayla. I used to name my barbies and other dolls Kayla whenever I was playing or when playing pretend with friends I wanted my name to be Kayla. So I was sure when I got pregnant that I was going to name the baby Kayla if it was a girl. Well one day we were out to lunch with SIL, BIL, and MIL and they asked me about names. I said "if it's a girl I'm naming her Kayla Rose" and Kristy (SIL) was like " I've always wanted to name MY daughter Kayla!" Ok..at this point..her and BIL weren't even married yet so kids was not even on their immediate agenda. Well..the rest of the afternoon she pouted but didn't say anything but I could tell she was bummed.

Months later, MIL is visiting us and asks me again and I said again that I liked Kayla. She just kinda stared at me and was like "well..it wouldn't be my first pick but ...." and you could just kinda tell she didn't like it. Well, when it came down to us finding out we were definately having a girl, I started to have doubts about the name and I really didn't want to get on anyone's bad side or anything. So DH liked Kara too and I thought Kara was close to Kayla and still pretty so we went with it. When Kara was born MIL said to me "I'm so happy you decided against using Kayla...it freed up the name for Kristy." I was so MAD!!!

The punchline to this whole thing.....Kristy and John are now married and John's brother has a 5 y/o DD..guess what her name is....YEP! So that means Kristy couldn't use the name even if she wanted to!!!

This next baby..I'm naming it what I want and if people don't like it...tough s***!

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
** Mandy **
I guess it depends on how it is done. I can see if the conversation comes up saying that you really love a certain name and hope to use it someday (and hopefully people would respect that and be able to find one of their own). But, I don't think you can really "call" a name or reserve it for you only. It would especially be annoying if someone continued to do this with several names.

August 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
thanks for your input girls!! I really like Ava Grace.. like the exact name has ben on my list before! I have recently changed the name on my list to Ava Juliana,,,, but still.
I think it is dumb that they do this because how many times do you change your mind when you are ttc on names? and then how many times when you are preggo? Chances are they won't even end up naming their children that!

Like I have a list of names,, that my family is aware of, but if any of them get pregnant and there is a name they love that I have said I liked,,, I don't expect them to avoid it. You should name your children names you love.
If I was preggo, and they were preggo then thats a different story,, then I don't think you should be touching the names.

August 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
MamaBx3
I hate that !!!!! That urks me .. I can't stand when people do that !! My cousin is the same ! When I was preggo she actually GAVE me a LIST of names that I COULDN'T USE because she liked them !! I just laughed in her face .
August 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
ro8821's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree.. I don't like to say my favorite names around family, in case they steal it.
Then again, if they did. Boy. they would be in trouble.
than again, no one in my family really liked the names I had picked out.. so it all worked out

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE>

August 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is ridiculous! My sister was asking me the other day when I get pregnant again what we will name the baby. I told her Colin if it's a boy and she got all mad saying thats what she wanted to name a boy if she ever had one! Well, too bad, if I have a boy first I'm going to use it and she'll just be sol (she's not married and barely in a serious relationship so kids aren't even on the horizon for her). I'm not worried about people stealing my girls name because it's a little unusual and no one really likes it.

I don't see why just because someone in your family or circle of friends uses a name that automatically makes it off limits. Why can't there be two kids in the family with the same name (not siblings of course)?

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Quote:
That is ridiculous! My sister was asking me the other day when I get pregnant again what we will name the baby. I told her Colin if it's a boy and she got all mad saying thats what she wanted to name a boy if she ever had one! Well, too bad, if I have a boy first I'm going to use it and she'll just be sol (she's not married and barely in a serious relationship so kids aren't even on the horizon for her). I'm not worried about people stealing my girls name because it's a little unusual and no one really likes it.

I don't see why just because someone in your family or circle of friends uses a name that automatically makes it off limits. Why can't there be two kids in the family with the same name (not siblings of course)?[/b]

ya I say first come, first served.. (and by served I mean named)
If you have a child first,, then youhave dibs on whatever name you like!

Haha thats funny Brit that she gave you a whole list,, I would have laughed too!
Ava Juliana is my other favourite girl name,, and thats not changing,, and if my baby comes out looking like an Ava,, then that will be her name no matter what! (they are lucky I really don't like the name Parker Madison or I would be stealing that one as well!)

August 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
Haha, well that does sound kind of ridiculous. me and my sister have favorite names and I wouldnt steal one of hers out of courteousy and vice versa
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
August 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
wow, that's weird! if they were expecting, it'd be a little different.. and then you of course shouldn't "steal" the names.. but what the heck? haha that's so odd to me..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search