Juniors and II's

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Some things to consider if you are thinking of naming your child after his father...

One study suggests that doing so may lead to heightened parental identification, frustration, conflict, and even aggression. Among children battered by parents, a higher percentage than would be caused by chance were named after one of the parents. (Lenoski, 1981) (number of subjects unknown)

A boy may be given his father's name plus "Jr." out of the father's wish to perpetuate himself in his son, to have his son emulate him, or to retain a superior role himself. The son may feel this as a burden laid upon him: to comply with paternal desires and to mold his personality and career accordingly. The "Hamlet hypothesis" suggests--though there is no proof one way or the other--that this may aggravate the natural conflict between father and son.

About 3% of all men are Jr.'s, yet Jr.'s made up 10% of the psychiatric outpatients at one studied facility--three times more than their proportion in the general population. (The "Jr." patients were divided evenly among race and age, so those were not relevant factors.) (285 subjects) (Plank, 1971)

Students with names ending in "II" scored higher on capacity for status, well-being, responsibility, socialization, self-control, and tolerance than those with names ending in "Jr." (Zweigenhaft, Hayes & Haagen, 1980) (196 subjects)

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's very interesting. My brother was named after my Dad and it is very confusing. You never know who people are calling for (when my brother still lived at home) and their mail always gets messed up. The whole Jr. or II never appealed to me and luckily dh agreed. We believe that our kids should have their own name. If we have another boy though he will share dh's middle name.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Veteran
It's interesting to me that they blame the naming of the boy on the father. In many real-life cases I've seen, the MOTHER demands to name the boy after his father, even if they are not legally married, and even if he already has a son named after him by another mother!

~~Amanda
August 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Gwen
If we have a son, we already decided we won't name him after my DH.
August 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
It's interesting to me that they blame the naming of the boy on the father. In many real-life cases I've seen, the MOTHER demands to name the boy after his father, even if they are not legally married, and even if he already has a son named after him by another mother!

~~Amanda[/b]
That's interesting too. I wouldn't want to name my child after my partner - I like choosing my baby's name, it would take the fun out of it (for me) to just follow a tradition.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
August 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh is a "jr" and I hate it. If we have a son he will have his dad's name as a middle name but only because I got to give my dd my best friend's name as a middle name. I'll probably try to convince him to give him a different middle name but we'll see.

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
August 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Debbie*TTC's Avatar Regular
Send a message via MSN to Debbie*TTC
If we ever have a boy he will get Rob's middle name as his middle name, I don't think we would do the Jr thing.

</div><div align="center"></div>
August 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
Very interesting, My DF is named after his father, lol. We plan on giving our first son his name Stephen Patrick as his mn, but I couldnt deal with having 2 Stephen's in the house, it would confuse me and them too much
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search