OK ladies, need your help!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As you all know, I'm naming my daughter Mattea. Up untill now, I was fairly certain she was going to have the full name Mattea Catherine Mariah. Catherine is my mom's name, Mariah is my grandmothers name (and my middle name) But recently I have been questioning things. The name just doesn't feel "right" to me. First of all, I found out that my grandmothers name is actually NOT Mariah, it's Edwina Maria-but Maria is pronounced LIKE Mariah. I kind of like Maria better than Mariah, Mariah has always unfortunately reminded me of the singer and because of that association I have found it a little trashy. So I definately want Maria in there...but I am iffy about Mattea Maria, I'm afraid it sounds too cutesy (thats why I had Catherine in there, to break the two names up) Soooo I'm at a loss now. Mattea Catherine Maria, I love it but it's a mouthful. Mattea Maria I'm on the fence about. I'm also considering using a different name to break the two up but I would prefer a short simple one...I've thought of the following
Mattea Gianna Maria (Gianna is prn John-ah)
Mattea Rose Maria
Mattea Ava Maria (too close to "Ave Maria"?)
Mattea Eva Maria
Mattea Grace Maria

Remember that Maria is prn Mariah. Any thoughts/suggestions? Should I just keep the name as it is? Am I overanalyzing?
August 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should leave the name as it is. I think it flows so beautifully. And how often will you be calling her by her full name, not often (unless she's in trouble a lot ). You'll really only be calling her Mattea (or a nickname) so she won't get that "mouthful" of a name on a regular basis. I really like the original three names together (and I LOVE Mattea--so pretty).

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Mattea and it will be our next DD's middle name because my DH's name is Matthew (Matt).

Mattea Maria doesn't flow as well because of the endings in the name... but if you are wanting to use just these names, I'd say go for it. Chances are your DD is just going to go by Mattea? Or maybe a nickname? And very rarely being called by her first and middle name (unless she is in trouble! LOL)

Out of the 3 name combos you have listed above, I like Mattea Grace Maria and Mattea Rose Maria the best. Mattea Catherine Maria is pretty and also has a special meaning... but if you are unsure about it then I don't know if you should use it. I think Gianna would get mis-prn. as Gi-ana instead of John-ah. My friend's mom's name is Jonah and is prn. like John-ah. Are you considering any other middle names or open to other suggestions? If so, let us know!

Good luck!

Oh, I was going to add... I don't know how you feel about the name Kate. But I think Mattea Kate Maria sounds really pretty!
August 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think you should leave the name as it is. And how often will you be calling her by her full name, not often (unless she's in trouble a lot ). You'll really only be calling her Mattea (or a nickname) so she won't get that "mouthful" of a name on a regular basis.[/b]

Although Im not a fan of more than one middle name, I understand your reason for doing it.

August 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I love Mattea and it will be our next DD's middle name because my DH's name is Matthew (Matt).

Mattea Maria doesn't flow as well because of the endings in the name... but if you are wanting to use just these names, I'd say go for it. Chances are your DD is just going to go by Mattea? Or maybe a nickname? And very rarely being called by her first and middle name (unless she is in trouble! LOL)

Out of the 3 name combos you have listed above, I like Mattea Grace Maria and Mattea Rose Maria the best. Mattea Catherine Maria is pretty and also has a special meaning... but if you are unsure about it then I don't know if you should use it. I think Gianna would get mis-prn. as Gi-ana instead of John-ah. My friend's mom's name is Jonah and is prn. like John-ah. Are you considering any other middle names or open to other suggestions? If so, let us know!

Good luck!

Oh, I was going to add... I don't know how you feel about the name Kate. But I think Mattea Kate Maria sounds really pretty![/b]
Oh yeah I'm totally open for suggestions! I like Mattea Kate Maria, my mom actually goes by Kate....keep em coming!
August 24th, 2006, 06:35 AM
** Mandy **
I think you should go with Mattea Catherine Maria. I think it is pretty. There aren't very many occasions where she will go by her full name anyway (saying that because you are concerned it is a mouthful). I think it is really nice.

August 24th, 2006, 06:44 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can understand why you put in the other middle name even though its a mouthful. Brody's name is a mouthful too, it was just going to be Brody James but my bf refused to let him have the initials B.J. and his family was actually saying they were going to call him that,, so we were like errrmm,... no!

Anyways I like the name you have picked (Mattea Catherine Maria)
but these are the two I like best out of the other names you have suggested:
Mattea Rose Maria
Mattea Ava Maria
a little bit less of a mouthful and very pretty. Does your mom have a middle name that shorter that you might like to use maybe? I like the idea of using Kate, I'm just not sure of the flow of that

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

August 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I can understand why you put in the other middle name even though its a mouthful. Brody's name is a mouthful too, it was just going to be Brody James but my bf refused to let him have the initials B.J. and his family was actually saying they were going to call him that,, so we were like errrmm,... no!

Anyways I like the name you have picked (Mattea Catherine Maria)
but these are the two I like best out of the other names you have suggested:
Mattea Rose Maria
Mattea Ava Maria
a little bit less of a mouthful and very pretty. Does your mom have a middle name that shorter that you might like to use maybe? I like the idea of using Kate, I'm just not sure of the flow of that[/b]
My mothers middle name is Bellows I'm not so keen on that one lol!
August 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
First of all, I want to say that you and I have a lot of the same ideas about names. I like your ideas... they are classy.

I am not sure exactly HOW significant Maria is to you. I know it was your grandmother but are you willing to part with it? For me, I would drop it even if it had significance because I think Mattea Catherine is long enough. It's a beautiful name too.

I am iffy about 2 middle names because it's confusing to little kids and then my SIL has 2 middle names and she had to drop one legally when she got married... So, if your daughter has to drop one later, don't you think it will be hard on her to decide which to drop?

Just another thought... Catherine Maria is completely beautiful. (That's what I would do, personally.) How important is Mattea to you? It reminds me of a female version of Matthew since Matteo is Matthew en español. (That's my little brother's name... Matthew.)

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

August 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Gwen
Mattea Catherine Maria

This name sounds really pretty! All three names have three syllables and they flow together very nicely.

My brother has two middle names (after my father and grandfather) and it's a tradition I'll be continuing as well. Good luck deciding.
August 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
First of all, I want to say that you and I have a lot of the same ideas about names. I like your ideas... they are classy.

I am not sure exactly HOW significant Maria is to you. I know it was your grandmother but are you willing to part with it? For me, I would drop it even if it had significance because I think Mattea Catherine is long enough. It's a beautiful name too.

I am iffy about 2 middle names because it's confusing to little kids and then my SIL has 2 middle names and she had to drop one legally when she got married... So, if your daughter has to drop one later, don't you think it will be hard on her to decide which to drop?

Just another thought... Catherine Maria is completely beautiful. (That's what I would do, personally.) How important is Mattea to you? It reminds me of a female version of Matthew since Matteo is Matthew en español. (That's my little brother's name... Matthew.)[/b]
Thanks Mattea actually is the feminine form of Matteo...I'm definately using it though, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and I've been calling her Tea this whole time, I really don't think theres any going back lol! I am pretty attached to Maria, not only is it my grandmothers name, Mariah is my middle name and I want to pass it down to her. I didn't know legally you had to drop a middle name though...wow! I didn't even think of that...is that just if you take your last name as your maiden name or is that no matter what?
August 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
Quote:
Thanks Mattea actually is the feminine form of Matteo...I'm definately using it though, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and I've been calling her Tea this whole time, I really don't think theres any going back lol! I am pretty attached to Maria, not only is it my grandmothers name, Mariah is my middle name and I want to pass it down to her. I didn't know legally you had to drop a middle name though...wow! I didn't even think of that...is that just if you take your last name as your maiden name or is that no matter what?[/b]
Well, my SIL said that the second middle name is only on her birth certificate and nothing else. When she got her social security card, it says [married last name], Carol Jean (doesn't have Louise or her maiden name). She said there was never a spot on any forms she ever filled out her whole life for a secondary middle name and she hated having two. I am NOT saying that Mattea would hate it at all or regret it though. Carol's mom wanted to include both grandmothers (Jean and Louise).

I totally understand why you want to keep the names. I already have 2 names picked out (actually 3) and we aren't budging.

Joel Reagan is a first for a boy. I know everyone says Reagan is strictly female but for a male's middle name, it sounds good. Mostly, it's because of the former President Reagan that we are using it. I like it but also it's a strong name.

Juliet Rose is our girls' name. We were going to do Julia Rose but Josh won't have anything else. He is in love with the name Juliet and refuses to change, which is fine with me... I like it also and it is different (just like Mattea ) and not weird or not a non-name. It's rare so not everyone will have the name.

ANYWAY, to FINALLY make my point.. LOL.. My middle name is Rose as is my mother's mom's middle name. That is a definate. I wasn't going to use mine but when I asked Josh what female middle name that starts with an "R" that he wanted, he said "Rose, without a doubt". As I said, he is very insistant. He loves my name and wants to keep Rose in the family.

As long as you know what you want, I think you're set. You're pretty smart about names. It's not just something you slap to a kid and call them that.

A lot of people try so hard to be way off the wall and different that they lose sight of what a name really is. Is their child going to hate it? Is it spelled so weird that it can't be pronounced?? Those things are very important. Chosing a name is an important task. It's good that you are really putting thought into it.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

August 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Super Mommy
I really like your original choice of Mattea Catherine Mariah. I think it flows so beautifully!

How is your middle name spelled? Mariah or Maria. The only thing I would think about is that I would never get the pronounciation Ma-rye-ah from Maria I would (and I'd venture to say that a lot of other people would too) say Ma-ree-ah.
August 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM
MamaBx3
I really like Mattea Catherine Mariah !!! I think it's gorgeous .
August 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK thanks girls! I think I'm overanalyzing this lol! I think I'm gonna stick with Mattea Catherine Mariah , thanks for your input though!
August 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Regular
well, firstly, i'm really glad you're sticking with Mattea!!
I don't think that Mattea Catherine Maria would be bad at all. i love the "three middle names" thing, and it wouldn't be a mouthful.. how often do you actually say your whole name, right? my kids will probably end up having pretty long names considering i just can't choose!! hahah
also, if you're really against the long name, i don't think Mattea Maria is too 'cutesy'.. i actually really like it!!
so either way you decide, i agree with lol i really like all your choices!
good luck!!
August 26th, 2006, 07:39 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I like Mattea Rose Maria, gl deciding!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
August 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i think just Mattea Catherine sounds the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search