Family Traditions

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Anybody else really particular about family traditions when naming your son/daughter?

In my BF's family, everybody's middle name is that of a relative, and nobody can have the same middle name after the same person, unless its like a JR, or whatever.

So, his middle name is that of his grandfather. So, his cousin [who has the same grandfather], named there son's middle name that of the same grandfather who has since passed away, because "grandma" didn't like the spouse [i forget if its the husband or wife thats his cousin] and apparently inheritance money. So he wants to name our first daughter's middle name after his grandmother, just to piss of his cousin.

So, we were talking last night about this. And he is determined his first daughter's middle name is going to be his grandmother's name, for the reason I said above. So, i'm like, you tell me one reason you want to name our first daughter after your grandma, besides to piss of your cousin, b/c of him/her thinking of inheritance money, and they "stole" your middle name. That I could respect that, IF and ONLY IF, he could give me a ligit reason, such as his grandma was a big influence in his life, was like a 2nd mom, etc. BUt he says he's seen her like twice in his life. SO!
May 15th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
I can't say much... I am right in that category..
Hubby's grandpa Ray D.
Hubby's Dad Bobby Ray
Hubby Charles Ray Alexander

Oldest son Walker Ray

My dad Charles Dwight

Youngest son Braxton Dwight

My oldest ones middle name actually came from my maiden name.. It just so happened all their names had Ray in it...

my youngest ones middle name was in honor of my dad who has helped us out in great lengths.. It was the least we could do..
May 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Its neat, and all good, if done for the right reasons. Not for selfish reasons, that have no relavance
May 15th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree your husband's reason sounds silly. I also like to use old family names as middle names. But my husbands grandfather is a name that's been passed down through the family and I think my husband would like us to use it if we have a boy, but as I understand it his grandfather had quite a bad temper. I don't think I want to use a name that has that kind of energy attached to it, kwim? I sort of see the middle name as a gift you give your child, so it should have some positive meaning. With your husband's grandmother's name, it sounds like it has some negative energy attached to it so if it were me I probably wouldn't use it.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 16th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My Dh is Paul Francis his father is Paul Anthony, Dh's grandfather was Francis Anthony..... see resemblence?

We've decided that if we are to have a boy that we will name him Michael (for my father) Paul (for his father)

My side of the family doesn't really have any naming traditions. Lily was my great grandmother's name and her middle name is Grace which is cousin's of mine name.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my dh's grandfarher... Achille Joseph
dh's dad achille anthony
dh joseph achille
ds jonathan achille

see the tradition.. lol

May 24th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Super Mommy
all first born boys in DH's fam are named Bruce
May 24th, 2005, 10:51 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am breaking the so called family tradition. It has been that the grandsons have the middle name Alexander after my Grandfather and my Dad's middle name. Even though I love my Dad, he is a major a@@ and my Grandpa was one too, so I will NOT carry on that tradition.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search