How important are middle names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2005, 08:07 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
My DH and I are having a difference of opinion here. He was born in Russia, and his whole family's Russian. I'm half Russian (on my mom's side) and my dad's Italian. And now that you know our whole family history... lol

Anyway, in Russia, generally, they don't use middle names, and if they do, they use the father's name as the middle. My husband doesn't have a middle name, neither does his brother or his parents. My mom doesn't either. My sister and I do, though.

So how important are middle names? We're kind of up in the air if we should give our children one...I was thinking that once they got confirmed in church, then they can PICK their middle name, you know?

What do you all think?

Oh - my main reason for asking (duh) is b/c the names we've chosen aren't very original, I guess, but we love them - Julia or Alexander. My dad's family thinks a middle name wil distinguish them, I said THEY will distinguish THEMSELVES lol
May 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I dont think they are that important. Both have my kids have middle names after relatives, Their middle names are never used - on the birth cert and thats it, I never use my middle name - I hate it!. My mum and her sister dont have a middle name either. If you are happy enough not to give a middle name then dont!.

I like the names you have picked!
Good luck!
May 24th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Particularly if you have a distinctive last name, they're not that important. But I went to school with 2 Patty McCarthys-- Patty A and Patty E. It did simplify things.

My son is adopted from Korea. While we named him Brian, we kept his original Korean name as a middle name, so he could keep that part of his early life.

ANd of course, you need a middle name for when you're really angry at your child!! (Growing up, my entire neighborhood knew that my brother was "Stephen Francis"!!!!! )
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
May 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Super Mommy
middle names ~i think~ just give the first name some fluff!
May 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Alice@May 24 2005, 09:05 AM
ANd of course, you need a middle name for when you're really angry at your child!! (Growing up, my entire neighborhood knew that my brother was "Stephen Francis"!!!!! )
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That is my reason LOL j/k but I like middle names as I can never choose just one name and so I can add in my second top pic! I would love to name this baby Elliot but since we have an Elle that will not work for me LOL so we used it for a middle name! I can already hear myself "EMMETT ELLIOTT!" hehehehe Elle gets Elle Ireland alot some days

May 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I agree with a lot of the ladies. I was raised mostly with my first name unless I did something my mother thought was bad. Most of my middle names I have chosen either have meaning or are really liked by both hubby and me.

I know my hubbys grandfather was a first (or second) generation italian in america and didn't get a middle name untill he got confirmed. He took on his saint name as his middle name and then named his son and his grandson were named after him.

I suggest you do what you think is best. I am sure if you change your mind after the baby comes you could probaly get a middle name added.

Good luck! Let us know which you have.

Christina

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

May 25th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think they are very important either. They do help to distinguish names though when you have a very common one. I know in my job we require a middle name when the first name is very common because it is another safeguard to protect the person. But if your kids are going to choose their own names at a letter date that would work too. I think whatever you decide will be fine.
May 25th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't give a middle name either. Personally I have always felt a little ripped off. Not to mention my full given first name (Annalisa) has caused so many problems for me. No one can spell it when I say it to them. The other problem is that they think it's two names seperately: Anna Lisa (as in Lisa being my middle name which it isn't).

I work for a company that employs a lot of people from Mexico. I can't tell you how many Juan's, Pedro's, Julio's, Jorge's, Marias I get for first names. Then the last names are Garcia's, Ramirez, Martinez, Hernandez. My point is I ALWAYS make them include their middle inital or name so we can figure out who is who.

For me a middle name is very important. I'm using my maiden name for my middle name now. I think it's a matter of personal preference. Can't wait to see what you guys finally decide on.
May 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My own personal feeling is a middle name is a gift you give your child at birth and it should represent an attribute or quality you want him/her to have. Maybe it's specific like Harmony or some other name like that. Or maybe the middle name is Jack because Great Uncle Jack was a such a peaceful, loving person. But if you're not into middle names, then I see no reason to give one. Just "because everyone else does" is certainly no reason, imo.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Well, we found out - it's a girl!

So as of now, her name will be Julia Shell (Shell's our last name...actually, it used to be Shchelochkov but we got it shortened lol Too much confusion).

So Julia Shell sounds kind of...common? I don't know. Still up in the air - I love the name Julia Elizabeth, but Elizabeth doesn't really have any particular meaning, you know? Hmm...

Suggestions?
May 31st, 2005, 07:16 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Does it have to have a meaning behind it? I really like the way Julia Elizabeth sounds. Very pretty combination!

June 2nd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by CShellAK@May 30 2005, 06:00 PM
Well, we found out - it's a girl!

So Julia Shell sounds kind of...common?* I don't know.* Still up in the air - I love the name Julia Elizabeth, but Elizabeth doesn't really have any particular meaning, you know?* Hmm...

Suggestions?*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I like Elizabeth. My youngest SIL is named Courtney Elizabeth
June 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Julia Elizabeth Shell sounds great to me!
Personally, I'm glad to have a middle name (actually, I have two). I had a friend at school with none, and people would always ask him, "wadduya mean you don't have a middle name?" I think that irked him.
June 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
lol! I have to see what DH says about Elizabeth, but I do love the name!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search