What if nobody likes the name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you still use a name even if everyone you know says they don't like it? That is what is happening with us. I am thinking they will just have to get used to it. What would you do?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Absolutely! Not everyone was crazy about the name Elle and even less are crazy about the name Emmett, but I feel strongly about the names we have chosen and I could care less what they think. People do get used to it. My sister named her son Drake which I thought was different at the time and I probably wouldn't have chosen it but I love him and his name suits him!

June 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I agree with Christa. This is your decision. If you like a particular name, then go with it. It doesn't matter what other people think.

Good Luck, let us know what you decide.

Christina

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

June 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Jacky&bump's Avatar Veteran
I would def use the name i picked even if noone else liked it...at the end of the day its your child and you can name him/her whatever you like.

June 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
this is your decision not theirs.. If they don't like it they will just have to get used to it..
June 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cindy's Avatar Veteran
Oh, definitely! You aren't having the child or naming them for anyone else! It's totally your decision.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
June 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely! My Mom and sister don't like the name Liam we have picked out if it is a boy. My sister is especially vocal saying she hopes it's a girl so it won't have to suffer with the name and saying she's going to call him something else if it's a boy. I basically just say that it's a good thing it's not her baby then and when she has a baby she can name it whatever she wants and until then to shut her mouth. May sound harsh but she ticks me off and you shouldn't mess with a pregnant woman especially regarding her baby! lol

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

June 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely! No one likes the boy name I picked out (Kaelan) but in the end you have to go with the name that YOU like since it is YOUR child. Personally, I don't care anymore what others think.
June 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would absolutely no question use the name.. I am tired of people telling others I hate the name you chose.. but if you really like it you should go with it... I remember when I was preggo with my son.. we chose a few names and everyone was like.. that is aweful... you should name him this instead.. I was like.. I didn't ask if you liked it, I am just telling you what we like.. so bite me

June 14th, 2005, 05:20 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
Do not go on what everyone else thinks! It is YOUR baby. Almost no one liked the name we picked for our daughter, Lyric, but now everyone says they can't see her named anything else.
June 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
HavensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HavensMommy
I swore up and down that I would not be influenced by what people said to me, and decided to keep the "FINAL" choice a secret from family and close friends until baby is here incase we change our mind.

I was however disappointed when I asked opinions on the name "Haven" for a boy, and everyone turned up their noses and said it's too "Girly"... to me it is a name you don't hear that often to make that kind of judgement. There are guys named Hillary and Stacy and Dana and Ashley and to me those sound a LOT more girly than Haven!

SO I know that it's hard NOT to be somewhat influenced by what others think or say, as then you worry what will fall back when your child is actually named that. But I would say stick with your gut! There are so many unique and unusual names out there, and when they see the face attatched to the name, their issues with the name will seem unimportant!

-Kristin
June 21st, 2005, 12:42 AM
The majority of my friends and family didn't like the name Mishella, when my husband and I told people we were naming her Mishella they said Mishella was weird, why not name her Michelle? My husband and I didn't even know if Mishella was actually a name. James wanted to call her Michelle and I wanted to call her Ella, so he said jokingly why not Michella? And I feel in love with it, changed the spelling and named her Mishella.
Everyone thought it was weird, some people said it was horrible, when she was born only 4 people I knew liked the name, me, my husband, my cousin, and my sister in law. But it grew on most people, except my mother who still tells me she doesn't like it.
It your choice to name your child what name you like, regardless of other peoples opinions. So many people disliking the name Mishella didn't change my opinion of it, and the name suit's my daughter much more than Michelle would've. Go for what you like, don't listen to what other people think.
June 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM
MichiganMom's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to MichiganMom
Don't even worry about what other people think - if the parents like it, that's all that matters. You should have seen the on people's faces when they heard we were naming our daughter Shanley. Now when I ask people what they think of her name, they say they love it and no other name would fit her.

Trust me, they'll get used to it as they grow to love that baby!
June 27th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Immy&#39;s Mummy's Avatar Member
Someone, somewhere along the line will always comment on the names you have picked.

For example, my father began singing the John Lennon song 'Imagine' when we announced that we liked the name Imogen for our daughter.

Now he's gotten used to it and can't imagine her being named anything else!

Just remember that a lot of these other people have already had children themselves & therefore already had the chance to name their kids!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search