Naming after people

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are you views on naming kids after people?

I have a grandfather, Jack, and my grandmother, Florence. I thought of using the name Jackson Lawrence(Lorence) if I have a 3rd boy. If i have girl I thought of using Jaclyn (jack + ellen. Ellen is my grandmother's middle name). Something like Chloe Jaclyn or something like that...

I also thought of using my mom, grandmother, grandfather, and my two uncles in a girls name.

Chrysleigh(Chryslee, Kryslee, Krysleigh-not sure of the spelling) Sue Jaclyn. Christopher is my uncle Mark's middle name, Lee is my Uncle Alan's middle name. Susan is my mom's nameJack is my grandfather and Ellen is my grandmother's middle name. I am not sure if I like 2 middle names though.

But so far out of all of it I just like Jackson Lawrence or Jackson Lorence

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

January 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really like the idea of naming children after someone. I would only use an "honoring name" as a middle name. Right now, I'm having an issue with who I would want to honor next. Brinlee's middle name was chosen because of my grandfather's middle name (Madison is his middle name, Addisyn is Brinlee middle name). I'd love to honor my father next for a boy, his middle name is J and I'd like to give the middle name Jay to a boy (if we ever have one). As far as girls go, I love my grandma's name (Josephine) but I think my two sister's and I will be competing to see who has the next girl to use the name. My mom's middle name is Lynn and I'd love to include that some where also (probably use a -lynn ending name). My big problem is not really wanting to use DH's side of the family. We really aren't that close with his family, and honestly I strongly dislike their names. I would consider using Meredith instead of Mary for a girl's middle name... but more so because I love the name Meredith, not because I want to honor his mother. However, his mother is the only person I would consider honoring. DH's dad's middle name is Lee, so I guess we could say that is already taken care of since Brinlee is spelled with -lee. Lee is also my oldest sister's middle name though

So, all in all (after all that blabbing) what I'm really saying is I love the idea of honoring family.... but right now I really only want to name my children after my side of the family, and not DH's side.
January 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MommyTheresa
I also like the idea of using a family name, or naming people after famous people etc. etc.

My son's middle name is James, it is a family name of mine. My daughters, middle name is Rose, also a family name. If we have any more children we will probably use a middle name of a family member.

January 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I would consider using Meredith instead of Mary for a girl's middle name... but more so because I love the name Meredith, not because I want to honor his mother.[/b]

Meredith is a variation of my great grandmother's name Mary and I also have a cousin named Meredith. Anne is my grandmother's name with whom I don't get along with.

I used the names because I LOVED them rather than honoring the person they share a name with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with honoring a family member...it only becomes a problem in my opinion when you don't like the name. I would never use a name I hated just so I could honor someone in the family.
[/b]
so true...thats why dh didnt want to name any of his kids as a jr. his middle name is ralph.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

January 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
I think it is cool that people want to honor other people by using their names and stuff but I personally, don't like it. I am really into original names (obviously) lol. Although I am forced into it if we have a boy
January 14th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see anything wrong with it, but when it's done in my family, the name is not exactly the same ... it's a name with the same meaning, or a variation of their name.

Also, most of the time, the person they're being named after is deceased.

I'm not sure how we got started doing it that way, but it works, and I do think that both those rules are a great way to avoid confusion. We never have to say "Which Jack?" or "Great-aunt Mary or baby Mary?". It's just more convenient that way, and also because the parents don't feel as if they have to use a name they don't like. Making up a compound name, choosing one that's totally different but has the same meaning, or picking a variant always seem to let them find a name they like well.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search