If it's a girl....

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Super Mommy
If this baby is a girl, I really really want to name her after my great-aunt. She gave me away at my wedding, and I held her hand as she died four months later.

She was more than a second mother to me.

Her name was Myrtle Aileen Ferguson.

I know that a lot of older names are coming back around, but I never hear of any Myrtle's. It's a flowering plant, and of course, there's Myrtle Beach, etc. so it's not completely unheard of...but I'm not sure about it.

I've tried to come up with a variation, and all I get is Marina, which is really not even a variation, just a similar sounding name. I've also thought of using Ferguson instead, and calling her Fergie, but I'm not crazy about nicknames in place of a regular name. My son's Dylan and one of the main reasons we picked that is b/c there really aren't a whole lot of nicks for it.

*sigh*

Any suggestions? Is Myrtle too "old" sounding? Can you think of another way to go?

If you just hate everything about it, keep it to yourself, please, this lady was "it" to me, and I'm convinced I will honor her somehow...just not sure how yet.
January 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think Myrtle is too old-sounding, but a lot of other people will. And honestly it's not a name I'd expect to hear for a baby. For an older lady, yes, but she will get funny looks until she's like 60.

I know how hard it is to want to name a kid after someone and then their name just doesn't work like you want it to. One of my very best friends in high school was named Gabhan. Yes, spelled that way; it's a Scottish name. Of course I could spell it Gavin and be all normal but I know so many babies named Gavin and Davin (my own nephew is a Davin anyway!) that I can't do that because Gabhan was one-of-a-kind. He wasn't just like everyone else. I still don't know exactly what I'll do.

If you don't want to use Myrtle you have a few other options. You could rearrange the letters in Myrtle and Aileen and see what you get, choose another "flowery" name and maybe use the same middle name, or choose a variant of Aileen for the first name and use Myrtle for the middle name.

Let's go with those in order. Yeah, I'm really going to think this through that far instead of leaving you to do it by yourself, because 1) two heads are better than one, and 2) I know how hard it is.

Okay. Rearrange the letters in Myrtle and Aileen and see what you get. You might love that idea or hate it, I don't know. Just read through these if you don't mind the concept.

Miley, Mylee, or Mylie
Erin
Ellen or Elin
Mary
Leilani (almost! just one extra I)
Leia or Lea
Leila
Leyna (maybe make it Layna?) or Layne
Rain, Raine, or Rayne
Riley, Rylee, or Rylie
Amy or Amie
Maralei (I once knew a girl with this beautiful Hawaiian name!)

If you are into "unique" names there are lots of ways to coin new names from those letters too. From these you could get Miley Raine, Layna Rilee, or maybe Maralei Erin. Mix-and-match all you like or make up some new names from those letters.

Choose another "flowery" name. And maybe stick with Aileen/Eileen as a middle name. Again, maybe you'll like this idea and maybe you won't. Just working through it to show you the options.

Alyssa (there is a flower called alyssum)
Ayanna (means "beautiful flower")
Azalea (maybe this is a cool new possibility?)
Camellia
Dahlia
Daisy
Fleur
Heather
Iris (also an old-fashioned flower name but maybe you prefer it?)
Jasmine
Lily/Lillian
Lotus
Magnolia
Pansy
Petunia
Poppy
Rosa/Rose
Violet
Zinnia

These would work well in lieu of Myrtle. Try Daisy Aileen/Poppy Aileen. If this great woman was happy or hopeful til the end these names very much have happy, hopeful connotations. Or Heather Eileen/Aileen. That's more "normal" and everyday if she was steadfast and trustworthy. Or choose another based on how they sound to you.

You could also mix this suggestion with the first and use one of those "mixed" names with a flower middle name, or vice versa. Maralei Lotus sounds very exotic and interesting. Camellia Rayne has a certain charm. Miley Petunia (for example ) is irreverent and offbeat but maybe fun.

Perhaps a variant of Aileen would serve better as a first name since you're having trouble with variants of Myrtle. Again, maybe you'll like some of these, and maybe you won't. Just throwing it out there.

Aileen
Eileen
Helen
Evelyn

also

Aila/Ailah
Ailee/Ailey/Ailli
Aileene/Ailene
Ileanna/Ileana
Leanna/Leannah/LeeAnna/Liana
Lena/Lina

From these you could get, using Myrtle or another "flower" name as the middle name, Leanna Myrtle, Evelyn Dahlia, Helen Rose, etc. Or use one of these as a middle name!

Good luck in your choosing. I could probably come up with more in a pinch, so if you like these ideas but none of these do it for you, please PM me. I would be more than happy to help.

</div>
January 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Super Mommy
Wow. Awesome post!

Funny about the rearranging of letters, if my son had been a girl I had come up with a name using some of my letters and some of my DH's letters.

And Violet was another name I had considered, but didn't connect it with her - I just like it. I am liking Millie, too.

You've given me a lot to think about. One other thing about her is she referred to all of us (me and my sibs) as "sweet fern" instead of the other things you call kids, like honey or sweetie or whatever. So Fern is another option to throw in the ring.

I'm gonna keep thinking over some of the ones in your post, but by all means if you come up with any others, I'd love to hear them.

ETA: I also like Iris - but that's my BFF's oldest daughter's name. We've been friends over 20 years, so that's a no go, hehe.
January 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
More "flower" names:

Ivy
Holly
Daphne
Laurel/Lauren
Primrose
Hawthorne
Lark (from larkspur)
Angelica
Ash
Aspen
Briar
Clover
Flora
Ginger
Hazel
Jacinta
Linnea
Narcissa
Posy
Rosemary
Rue
Saffron
Sage
Tansy
Veronica
Viola
Willow
Wisteria

I am really liking Tansy from that list! And Willow. Maybe Willow Eileen or Evelyn Willow? Or Tansy Aileen?

Also one I hadn't thought of, that I kind of like, is Amantha. Kind of between Amanda and Samantha, hm? It's another form of the word Amarantha, which is a flower.

There's also Carnation and Daffodil, but those are maybe TOO flowery.

</div>
January 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I can't believe I didn't think of this before! Can you tell I'm having trouble sleeping tonight?

Myrtle flowers are white. What about names that mean white or something white?

Bianca
Blanche
Braith
Bronwen
Candide
Elodie
Fiona
Guinevere
Gwen
Jennifer
Jenson
Ivory
Levana/Livana
Rosalba
Rema
Vanora
Whitley
Whitney
Wynn/Wynne

From those I think Elodie and Rema are particularly beautiful. Especially since Elodie means another type of white blossom!

One more. Zahra is an Arabic name that means white flower. I think that's lovely too.

</div>
January 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally think Aileen is a good name, do you not want to use Aileen as a first name? I know a little girl who prn. her name eye-lee-onna but I'm not sure how she spells the name or I would suggest it to you!
January 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
jag-mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What about Maleena, Myleina, Maya?
January 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Katzchen
What about Aila (or Ayla) or Myra?
January 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Maylee would be nice,, a combination of Myrtle and Ailee(n)

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

January 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
bebe-v-j's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not fond of the name Myrtle - remind me too much of Turtle ... anyhow I think that Aileen is a nice name though.
January 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I think Myra and Meryl are great names to honor a Myrtle.
January 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Super Mommy
I do think Myrtle is a granny name. Aileen might be a little less so. I would use Aileen over Myrtle.

If I were you, and really wanted to honor her by using her name, I would stick it in the middle spot. I'm not a fan of trying to make anagrams out of names or picking different derivations of names or using names that mean the same thing. IMO, you either use the name "as is" or not.

Do you really like either name though? Because the name has sentimental value to you because the person was special to you, this person will not mean as much to your future child, and the child might not appreciate being given the name if they don't like it.

If you don't love the name exactly as it is, I'd find another way to honor her memory besides baby names. Good luck deciding!
January 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally dont think Myrtle is old sounding-I think its an adorable name for a little girl, as well as a very nice name for a woman.
Acadia(the first responder) said it wasnt a name she expected to hear for a baby, which Im sure a lot of people feel that way. Im not trying to bash anyone, but think of it this way-your aunt Myrtle was a baby once, so sure-it may not be a name you expect to hear for a baby, but obviously its been done....
Anyway, I think Myrtle and Aileen are great names, and it is so touching that you want to honor this woman who means so much to you! Good Luck!

January 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Super Mommy
The more I think about it, the more I think I want to use her actual name. Everybody knew her as Myrtle...just Myrtle. And when ppl said Myrtle, you knew who they were referring to. No kids, never married, never drank, didn't even wear pants...she was a giver, and she was always taking somebody food or going to sit and talk with them if they couldn't get out, etc. etc. So to me, "Myrtle" is synonymous with that.

I do think I'm going to make it a middle name, though. She even referred to herself as Myrtle Turtle, so I can see how that might be used against a kid.

I'm leaning toward Vivian Myrtle at this point. Our last name is one syllable, starts with W.

My DH really liked her a lot too, even though she died within the year of him meeting her. She was the first person in his 'family' to ever die, that he could remember. Plus, he was in bootcamp at the time, and had to find out in a letter, so I think it's a particularly touching memory for him as well. Bootcamp will really make you think about things, KWIM?

So I'll think he'll be on board, if I use it in the middle. He wanted to honor his mother somehow, and he also wanted to use his middle name which is Ryan. So I've proposed that we use his mother's initials (PR), and his middle name for the R, if it's a boy. I'm starting to really think it might be a girl, though.

I'm now waiting for him to email me back, lol I have to cut a deal before I let him know the name I like, so he'll be in a more agreeable mood.
January 23rd, 2007, 06:05 AM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really like Vivian Myrtle!!!!

January 23rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks!

We are going back and forth on Vivian Myrtle or Vivian Fern, now. He has totally agreed to Vivian and also that the middle name will honor Myrtle, but we're not positive on which one yet.

We have a while to think it over, though, lol. I think Vivian Fern 'sounds' better, but Vivian Myrtle 'means more' I guess. I'd be happy with either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search