What do you guys think?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kelley had an idea to make a subforum of "experts" where people could go to ask for name suggestions. Each expert would write a little about their naming style, and their favourite names. Then people could reply to their post and ask for opinions/suggestions on names. (Think the request for specific siggy makers subforum)

I think its a great idea because then there is more of a chance that people will get suggestions they like,, rather than getting lists and lists on names that aren't their style at all.

What do you guys think? How should we go about this... nominations perhaps for the experts? how many experts would we have?
I would say just anyone could do it, but we need it to be people that are very active on the board.

January 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Kelley had an idea to make a subforum of "experts" where people could go to ask for name suggestions. Each expert would write a little about their naming style, and their favourite names. Then people could reply to their post and ask for opinions/suggestions on names. (Think the request for specific siggy makers subforum)

I think its a great idea because then there is more of a chance that people will get suggestions they like,, rather than getting lists and lists on names that aren't their style at all.

What do you guys think? How should we go about this... nominations perhaps for the experts? how many experts would we have?
I would say just anyone could do it, but we need it to be people that are very active on the board. [/b]
If you want anyone active to be able to do it, then set a minimum number of posts per week. If they dip below that for more than a month or however long you care to make it, then they won't be participating anymore.

I don't like the idea of nominations and calling some people "experts" and others not. I know that there are some people who would deserve such a thing but because of opinion differences I would be wary of calling anyone an "expert", especially since people come and go, and someone new can be just as "good" at name suggestions as they are. Maybe "naming pros" or something like that, and a min # of posts per week instead of nominations/voting, so as not to exclude anyone who might come or get more involved after the "experts" are chosen.

</div>
January 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it sounds like a great idea, though I agree with Acadia. good luck on figuring everything out!
January 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe anyone who posts on here regularly could post their "bio" or whatever you want to call it, then people who want suggestions can read through them and pick who they would like to get advice from and ask them. I also don't like the idea of them being called "experts" everyone has their own opinion/style and not everyone agrees... so I'd just leave it open to anyone who is willing to help other members with names. If someone doesn't want other people to ask them about names, then they shouldn't post a bio. If people come on the board and don't care who suggests names to them or want suggestions from multiple people then they can just post it in the regular baby names forum.

Ok, thats just my opinion
January 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I like the idea.
January 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i think this is a wonderful idea!!!

January 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all of your suggestions ladies. . .
It would be nice to say you have to post so many time a week or whatever.. but we have no way of keeping track of that kind of stuff.

Well since Brit and I know who is really active on the board, maybe there could be something where you PM us first?
ohh I don't know.

January 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
It would be nice to say you have to post so many time a week or whatever.. but we have no way of keeping track of that kind of stuff.

Well since Brit and I know who is really active on the board, maybe there could be something where you PM us first?
ohh I don't know.[/b]

I don't know about that.
You don't want someone's feelings to get hurt.
January 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

ohh I don't know.[/b]
Well if you're reading most of the stuff here ... you know "who posts" vs "who posts once a month". There isn't a real need to keep track of exactly how many times they post per day or week.

I wouldn't say a set-in-stone weekly or daily minimum is absolutely necessary (and I think 5-10 times per DAY is excessive for a minimum). Obviously if someone visiting the board for the first time is interested they should wait, but if you're seeing someone post daily or every other day, and they want to participate, why is someone who posts 20 times a day more of an "expert" than they are? And if there's a limit how would additional people apply? I think saying "oh well you have to be part of this BN board in-group, and it's only 6 people who were here before you even came around so we don't need you" is very ... excluding. I know that's not what you're trying to say but that is how it can be interpreted.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search