Boys names NOT for girls

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I was thinking the other day why do some boys names become popular for girls and not others?
Has anyone ever met a little girl named Henreigh (Henry) or Benjamyn (Benjamin) and why not? What names coulds you NEVER imagine on a little girl?

Herman comes to mind. Herbert, Ralph, Winston, Harold, Craig, Edgar, Thomas, Dexter, Ethan, Bert, Ward - actually I can't even think of any little boys named those recently, except for Thomas.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like any "boy" names on girls.

Madison, Taylor, etc ... even Ashley ... are not names for little girls IMO. They started boys' names and they are still boys' names to me.

I think some become popular and not others because they sound unisex at the time when they cross over. Parents try to make their little girls seem "stronger" but don't want a manly name, so they choose softer male names. Like those three. So I could never imagine someone naming a girl a "manly" boys' name, like Harold or something.

Don't be so quick to say Dexter is like those though! There is a girl in my nephew's preschool class named Dextyre. People are really liking the weird names around here lately.

</div>
January 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I dislike every male name on females.
There are certain names that are feminine but I prefer on males.
Like Jamie and Blair.
January 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
MamaBx3
Quote:
I don't like any "boy" names on girls.

Madison, Taylor, etc ... even Ashley ... are not names for little girls IMO. They started boys' names and they are still boys' names to me.[/b]

ITA !!
Madison is NOT a girls name !! I hate that it's been used so much for little girls I want a little boy named Madison . And now I'll never get that because everyone is like "*** that's a GIRLS name"

I don't like seeing boys names on girls .

I've heard of girls with the names :

Hunter
Evan
Jadon
Ryan
Tyler
Greyson
Noah

It urkes me . I can't stand it .
January 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I know a little girl named Logan.
January 23rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I think it's rediculous when people use boy's names on girls. I cringe when I hear little girls being called Addison,Madison,Emerson etc. There's millions of beautiful girl names out there, why settle for a masculine name? I also don't understand when people say, "oh well I've heard it used on girls so it's a girls name now." To me if it was a boy name at any point, it will always be a boy name.
January 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
While I agree for the most part... you have to keep in mind that not everyone looks this much into detail about names.. they name their children what THEY like.. what sounds good to THEM.. most people probably have no idea that Madison is a boys name..
January 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
I think one of the cutest boy names on a girl is Charlie. I've actually met more than one MAN named Kim, too, and neither was Asian.

I think some of the names you guys are calling boys names, actually started out as SURNAMES, and have then gone to boys, then to girls.
January 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
MamaBx3
Quote:
The general population has no clue what names once were...only what they are now.[/b]

exactly .
that's the problem
January 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
I know many people don't like boys names on girls. I'm not fond of some, such as Logan and Evan, but others like Courtney and Ashley I think are fine. Some have been used so much lately that we really have to call them unisex now. The evolution of names, like it or not. I have a Sydney. Feminine to me, male to some. My question was what boys names can you not imagine on a girl? Madison and Addsion are commonly in use for girls, so there is no question about imagining them or not. What boys names have you NOT heard on girls yet?

I don't think I've ever heard of a little girl named Kevin....

January 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Being saddled with a "unisex" name myself I am not particularly fond of boys names on girls...it does get to a point where you are sick of being mistaken for a boy and get tired of nn Steven now I've gotten used too the nn and don't mind it as much as I used to but I still get pretty annoyed when I get mail address to MASTER instead of MISS
January 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I dont like any boy names on girls at all, but some that I really would never picture on a girl are:

Brandon
Jack
Benjamin
Liam
Craig
Tyson.. and the list goes on! lol
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
January 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think at this point in time it comes a personal preference as to what people like and what people don't like.

Maybe someone doesn't want to name their daughter Henreigh (Henry) because they just flat out don't like that name. Maybe some names sound more feminine or masculine to some than they do to others and that is why people choose to use them on a different gender? I do not think that the reason that every mother of a "unisex" named child or a "boy name on girl" named child has given that name to their kid is because they want their daughter to have "Strong" name, nor do I think the reason that mother's give their son's what some would consider "girl names on boys" is because they want their son to be more sensitive. I think that is a crazy assumption. Of course there are several boy names I couldn't picture on girls, and several girl names that I couldn't picture being use on boys.... but that is just my opinion and my taste. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but... in the words of my crazy husband "Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they think everyone else's stinks!"

Quote:
I think it's rediculous when people use boy's names on girls. I cringe when I hear little girls being called Addison,Madison,Emerson etc. There's millions of beautiful girl names out there, why settle for a masculine name? I also don't understand when people say, "oh well I've heard it used on girls so it's a girls name now." To me if it was a boy name at any point, it will always be a boy name.[/b]
And to some if a name as been use for a girl at any point, they see it as a girls name. It is all a matter of opinion.
January 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
I am not fond of names that were once boys names either.. like Madison, Jamie, Sydney (in any spelling) it's just... blah to me.

I have heard of a woman named Michael.... It was that actress that was on ER a while back.. Michael Michelle I think her name was.... that is just weird how her name is basically the same name twice. (in French the name Michael.. is pronounced like michelle)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
January 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Katzchen
Quote:
I've heard of girls with the names :

Hunter
Evan
Jadon
Ryan
Tyler
Greyson
Noah

It urkes me . I can't stand it . [/b]
While I hate boys names on girls, I do have to point out that Noa (Noah) is a girl's name in Hebrew (she was a woman in the old testament who fought for women's rights to inherit their father's property) I believe it is the number one name for girls in Israel right now... Its a name I have always loved, but will never be able to use since it is a boy's name here!

To answer the original question, I don't think any names that already have a popular feminine form will be popular for girls. (ie Alexander (Alexandra and variants), Oliver (Olivia), Samuel (Samantha), Victor (Victoria), or Nicholas (Nicole/Nicola))
January 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Quote:
I know many people don't like boys names on girls. I'm not fond of some, such as Logan and Evan, but others like Courtney and Ashley I think are fine. Some have been used so much lately that we really have to call them unisex now. The evolution of names, like it or not. I have a Sydney. Feminine to me, male to some. My question was what boys names can you not imagine on a girl? Madison and Addsion are commonly in use for girls, so there is no question about imagining them or not. What boys names have you NOT heard on girls yet?

I don't think I've ever heard of a little girl named Kevin....[/b]
Sorry I got your thread off-track.

I did try to answer it though. Something like Harold I could never imagine hearing, but maybe it will happen because I have seen Dexter (spelled Dextyre) and Blaine (spelled Bleighne). Is it something to do with the spelling or are you only asking for names that are spelled the same girl or boy?

</div>
January 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Quote:
I did try to answer it though. Something like Harold I could never imagine hearing, but maybe it will happen because I have seen Dexter (spelled Dextyre) and Blaine (spelled Bleighne). Is it something to do with the spelling or are you only asking for names that are spelled the same girl or boy?[/b]
Thanks, and I have to say that Dextyre just looks weird, I would be pronouncing it Dex-tire and it sure doesn't sound feminine to me.
Thats exactly what I was getting at, do you think there are any boys names that are so definitely masculine that no one would use them for a girl or even be able to feminize them no matter how creative they got with the spelling? I wonder, are there any "safe" boys names? Does Zachary become feminine if you spell it Zackaree? Not to me, but maybe to someone. Girls names you can pretty safely bet that once something becomes commonly used for girls, it will stay for girls, but boys - well the name pool is getting smaller.
A few more I can't imagine ever being feminine - Garth, Todd, Russell.
I think even if you spell a name creatively (like Henreigh, Jaxyn - if they still sound like Henry and Jackson then the are still those names just spelled funky, and still boys names - until enough people usethem for girls that they become common and lose their masculinity. Can't see that happening with a name like Dwight but you never know...

January 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I did try to answer it though. Something like Harold I could never imagine hearing, but maybe it will happen because I have seen Dexter (spelled Dextyre) and Blaine (spelled Bleighne). Is it something to do with the spelling or are you only asking for names that are spelled the same girl or boy?[/b]
Thanks, and I have to say that Dextyre just looks weird, I would be pronouncing it Dex-tire and it sure doesn't sound feminine to me.
Thats exactly what I was getting at, do you think there are any boys names that are so definitely masculine that no one would use them for a girl or even be able to feminize them no matter how creative they got with the spelling? I wonder, are there any "safe" boys names? Does Zachary become feminine if you spell it Zackaree? Not to me, but maybe to someone. Girls names you can pretty safely bet that once something becomes commonly used for girls, it will stay for girls, but boys - well the name pool is getting smaller.
A few more I can't imagine ever being feminine - Garth, Todd, Russell.
I think even if you spell a name creatively (like Henreigh, Jaxyn - if they still sound like Henry and Jackson then the are still those names just spelled funky, and still boys names - until enough people usethem for girls that they become common and lose their masculinity. Can't see that happening with a name like Dwight but you never know...
[/b][/quote]

I can see Zachary becoming feminine. Anything that ends in an EE sound, or AH, or even N can and will be used for a girl eventually.

We'll probably see things like Zahcaree, Jowhnah, and Lahndynne at first. People attempting to make them look more feminine. Then, you know, names cycle ... so once the Zahcaree/Jowhnah/Lahndynne generation is dead we'll see (well, we won't SEE, but they'll be here ) Zachary, Jonah, and Landon spelled that way on girls.

Dwight I can't really see happening, though.

I can see Todd and Russell being feminine in the future ... well, definitely Russell. Spell it Rahselle and there you go.

I do hate that this is happening but people give their kids these names with NO THOUGHT as to whether it's masculine or feminine (or they don't care if they do know which gender it is). I don't see the need. There are thousands of names for little girls and you HAD to choose a boys' name? Knowing that now, no one can use it on a boy because everyone would tell them how cute their little "girl" is? Why?

Some people are consoled by the thought that there are all these "new" boys' names. Cohen, Landon, etc. The "last name" trend. Well, those girls' names (Madison, Addison, etc) ... they used to be last names too (even before they were boys' names)! I swear we will see little girls named Cohen eventually. Plus what happens when a boy named Cohen and a girl named Cohen want to get married? Maybe they break up and the girl finds a nice boy named Ezekiel but his LAST NAME is Cohen. So she'd be Cohen Cohen if she takes his name?

Can you tell I don't like using last names as first names, either?

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search