Names needed...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Katzchen
My husband and I are planning on TTC # 2 this spring, so I need to start finding girls names

Here are the rules:

1. The middle name will be Garnet (after DH's grandmother)
2. Since I can't give this baby a Jewish middle name, I will have to put the Jewish name first, so names must be either from the old testament or of Hebrew origin.
3. The names must not be in the top 100 or Rachel!

Our boys names are Oliver Joseph ( used for ds), Jonas Benjamin and Elliot Jacob.

The girls names that I like and DH does not are Rivkah, Miriam, Delilah, Sarai and Aviva (uh-VEE-va)

We both like Amalia (nn Molly) but as my son's nn is Ollie this is out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
January 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Christababe85
Abigail: "Father is rejoicing." Abigail was a wife of King David.

Deborah: "Bee." Deborah was an important prophetess and judge.

Delilah: "Delicate." Also the name of Samson's mistress. She cut off all his hair and rendered him defenseless in the face of the Philistines.

Dinah: "Judged" or "vindicated." She was a daughter of Jacob and Leah.

Esther: From the Persian word for "star". Esther was the wife and queen of Ahasuerus who saved her people from the evil Haman.

Eve: "Life." The name of the first woman in the Bible.

Hannah: "Gracious" or "full of grace." Hannah was the mother of Samuel.

Jemimah: "A dove." She was the first of Job's three daughters.

Judith: This name is the feminine form of the male name Yehudit, meaning "He will be praised." Judith was one of the wives of Esau.

Leah: "Gazelle" or "wild cow." Leah was the oldest daughter of Laban and became Jacob's first wife.

Michal: "Who is like God?" Michal was the first wife of David, who cast aspersions on him after she saw him rejoicing in the streets following his recovery of the ark of the covenant. The resulting division in their marriage is what is believed to have kindled David's desire for Bathseba.

Miriam: This name is thought to mean "bitter" or "rebellious," although no one knows for sure. Miriam was the sister of Aaron and Moses.

Naomi: "Joy" or "delight." Naomi was the wife and mother who lost her family; her story is told in the book of Ruth.

Rachel: "Ewe." Rachel was the younger daughter of Laban, who was also given to Jacob as a wife.

Rebekah: "Noose." Rebekah was the wife of Isaac and the mother of the twins Esau and Jacob.

Ruth: "Friend" or "companion." Ruth was Naomi's daughter-in-law, who took care of her after the death of her husband and children.

Sarah: "Princess." Sarah was the half sister and wife of Abraham.

Tamar: "Date palm." There are two Tamars in the Bible: one was a daughter-in-law of Judah; the other was a daughter of King David.
January 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will work on this today! I just have to get my housework done first or DF will get mad at me.

I'll post some for you this afternoon within those "rules". I already have a few in mind ... for example Adah. Wasn't Adah Lamech's wife, and also another Adah was Esau's wife (and Eliphaz's mother)?

Adah Garnet sounds good to me. I will be back to post more though.

Christababe85, those are very good names but most are in the Top 100.

</div>
January 25th, 2007, 07:25 AM
mlee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Amalia is a beautiful name! Could you maybe use a different nn? Maybe Lia?

January 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Katzchen
Quote:
I think Amalia is a beautiful name! Could you maybe use a different nn? Maybe Lia?[/b]

We've thought about using Mia or Maya (the Spanish nn for Amalia) as an alternate nn, but DH isn't really into those names. He is also uncomfortable because Amelia, Mia, Maya and Molly (and Leah!) are all in the top 100.

I do plan on fighting for Amalia, though, as I think that Amalia Garnet is the most beautiful name ever!
January 25th, 2007, 07:44 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From your list, I think Miriam is really cute... and I love Mimi as a nickname!
January 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Katzchen
Quote:
From your list, I think Miriam is really cute... and I love Mimi as a nickname![/b]

I like Miriam a lot too, but we would use Mira as a nickname!
January 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I've got some.

Adah
Adina
Anah
Atarah
Bethany
Beulah
Delilah
Dinah
Esther
Ivah
Jael/Jahel
Jedidah
Jerusha
Judith
Keziah
Mara
Naomi
Orpah
Sela
Sharon
Sherah

Those are all the ones I found that I don't hate, and aren't a zillion letters long or impossible for most people to pronounce.

I also think Amalia is beautiful! I do know Amelia is in the top 100 though. I would probably throw it out too.

I like Adah, Delilah, Dinah, Mara, Naomi, Sela, and Sherah with the middle name Garnet. I think Sela Garnet is almost as beautiful as Amalia Garnet and nothing close to it is in the top 100 ... I guess that's what I would pick if it were me. Delilah Garnet is pretty too.

Anyway here's a list.

</div>
January 25th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Katzchen
I had forgotten about Sela, thanks Lauren. I'll run that one by DH tonight...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search