Acadia's Naming Profile

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! My name's Lauren (and no, I don't like my name!). I don't have any kids yet but since my DF and I have very specific ideas about what kind of names we want, I figure it can't hurt to start looking.

I consider myself good at finding names that fit within certain "rules". For example, you need an old-fashioned name that starts with M to honor your grandmother but it has to be three syllables and not in the Top 100. Things like that.

I'm also knowledgeable about Irish names (recently popular, modern coinages, and traditional non-anglicized names) and almost equally good with Scottish names. So if your heritage includes Irish or Scottish blood, ask about an Irish name! You might be pleasantly surprised to find one you like ... and if I recommend it, you can bet it won't be Shawna or Kyle. Since DF is Native American I have also been researching names related to his heritage, and most of the names you'll find online that claim to be "Native American" are not. They are made-up, and taken from old Western novels and the like. I'd be happy to recommend real Native American names as well.

I insist that names be spelled properly, and I like nothing in the Top 100. I am also not a fan of the big "trends", like giving boys surnames as first names, or giving girls names that are traditionally male. Ethnic names are fun as long as they have a meaning to you.

One of my hobbies is coming up with names that honor people in indirect ways, by mixing letters from two names, choosing variants, or finding distinct names with the same meaning as the original. I know that most people who are specifically trying to honor a person might not like that approach, but if you'd like to give a nod to a relative while choosing a name that still fits your unique style, it's a definite option.

So far our children might be named:
Dante
Niccolo

Brigid
Genevieve

Other names I like:

Amity
Cecily

Eamonn
Gallagher

Ide
Kirsten
Margaux
Ophelia

Quincy
Seamus

Ulani
Wesley
Yvonne
Burke
Damaris
Frederick
Hazel
Jonas
Lottie
Nolan
Paisley
Rodney
Tabitha

Some of my guilty pleasures are:

Fancy
Cairbre
Remington

Acadia (I named my dog this to keep myself from using it on a child!)

</div>
February 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
eee! You have my son's name (Seamus) in your list.

I LOVE your name profile!

February 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Quote:
eee! You have my son's name (Seamus) in your list.

I LOVE your name profile![/b]
Of course I have Seamus!

I finally convinced my DF that the girls' name Eilidh is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Soooo happy!

</div>
February 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
*pushes the name Niamh*

lol... but then again, I'm biased on that one.

Seamus' first middle name (he has two) is Padraig, btw. His second middle name is Scott, but thats because that's my maiden name.

February 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Quote:
*pushes the name Niamh*

lol... but then again, I'm biased on that one.

Seamus' first middle name (he has two) is Padraig, btw. His second middle name is Scott, but thats because that's my maiden name. [/b]
Padraig is on my old list that DF nixed most of. Of course it was my uncle's name ... I don't think I'd really use it because he wouldn't have appreciated having a namesake.

Today we fought some of it out and he swears there will be a Dante Antóin, and an Eilidh Saskia. He had Dante picked out ages ago, of course! He finally agreed to like Paisley too. For a Scottish place name it's cute, and it's more modern which is really what he goes for. And there's also Niccolo, of course (nn Nico, according to him).

I wish he would let me do authors for the girls' names too but it was hard enough getting him to like ANYTHING I do (get it? Dante Alighieri and Niccolo Machiavelli? ).

</div>
February 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM

I knew a guy once named Nicos. He was from Greece. Thats similar to Nico/Niccolo. I thought it was a neat name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search