DF's Favorite Names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was so easy for him to think of two boys' names that I like, that I thought the same would happen with girls. Well no, of course not!

He looked at names for quite a while and this is what he came up with:

Hayden
Selena
Anastasia
Sharona
Umay
Skylar
Ashanti
Naomi

He just loves the combo Anastasia Naomi.

Um ... Anastasia is the only one I would even consider. And I don't think I like it enough to use it in the end.

I like:

Amity
Cecily
Kirsten
Margaux
Mireille
Ophelia
Damaris
Lottie
Paisley
Tabitha

and just about any traditional Irish name (Brigid, Áine, Aoife, Deirdre, Eithne, etc)

We are in for some major battles! Can anyone suggest names that are somewhat similar to the ones he likes AND the ones I like, that we might be able to agree on? Something with a "feeling" that's somewhere between the styles?

</div>
January 31st, 2007, 02:10 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there any way of combining two of the names you like into one therefore you both get a name?
cant think of any off the top of my head looking at the names or what about putting both of you names together (a friend did this for her daughter -her name is angela and his is james so they came up with ANJA -pronounced arn -ya which is the first two letters of each of their names

out of the names you have i like:
Anastasia
Kirsten
Tabitha

January 31st, 2007, 05:50 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From his list I really like Hayden and Skylar. Out of your list, I'm not a fan of any of them... maybe Paisley... but I wouldn't ever use it.

Good luck finding names
January 31st, 2007, 06:20 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE traditional Irish names as well and we plan on using one for this baby. What I did was go through names myself and make a list and then had dh pick his favs from my list. He didn't like all the ones I did but he did love 3 from my girl list and 4 from my boy list. Maybe you could try that. Or use your favorite for the first name and his favorite for the middle name. There's a lot of traditional Irish names that aren't as "out there" and hard to pronounce as some others that he might actually like. (Dh automatically vetoed anything he couldn't pronounce even after I told him how to say it. )

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 31st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Quote:
I LOVE traditional Irish names as well and we plan on using one for this baby. What I did was go through names myself and make a list and then had dh pick his favs from my list. He didn't like all the ones I did but he did love 3 from my girl list and 4 from my boy list. Maybe you could try that. Or use your favorite for the first name and his favorite for the middle name. There's a lot of traditional Irish names that aren't as "out there" and hard to pronounce as some others that he might actually like. (Dh automatically vetoed anything he couldn't pronounce even after I told him how to say it. )[/b]
Ugh. DF's problem is that he cannot spell. He's been trying to improve that so he actually goes back and corrects everything he misspells after he's done writing something (even a grocery list). But now he's getting into "what things look like in English" and refuses to spell things correctly in Irish (which is a sore spot with me because I spoke Irish as a child!). I mean, he suggested spelling Siobhan "Shavonne", which might sound okay to a lot of Americans, but looks awful to me.

Yeah ... he doesn't like any from my list and I don't like any from his (except Anastasia ... I might be convinced to use it as a middle name). The only one I like that he would consider is Eithne (but he says only if I spell it ENYA ).

Quote:
I like:

Hayden
Anastasia
Skylar
Kirsten
Paisley

Here's some suggestions:

Makayla
Tabitha
Tyra
Faith
Adrienne
Hannah
Tess
Virginia
Amy
Phoenix
Tori
Theresa
Selina
Danielle
Rachel
Rosemary
McKenna
Aaliyah
Catherine
[/b]
Thanks ... I like a couple of them but he passed over all of those when he was looking. The ones like Rachel, Danielle, etc he actually said he hated. He is just so difficult. I mean ... I don't see anything his have in common except that he likes S as a first initial.

</div>
January 31st, 2007, 09:00 AM
MamaBx3
I had this EXACT problem with my daughter's SD .
Our styles were SO different .
In the end , he won .

I want YOU to win

From his list I only like Anastasia . It's a really strong and legit name . I think Anastasia Naomi is actually quite pretty .

From your list I like/love :

Margaux
Ophelia
Lottie ~ this is what I call my daughter I love it as a nn for Charlotte !

Why not use 1 name that you love , and 1 name that he loves ?
(just be sure to get the name that YOU love as the FIRST name )

Good luck ! I know how hard this can be !
January 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I LOVE traditional Irish names as well and we plan on using one for this baby. What I did was go through names myself and make a list and then had dh pick his favs from my list. He didn't like all the ones I did but he did love 3 from my girl list and 4 from my boy list. Maybe you could try that. Or use your favorite for the first name and his favorite for the middle name. There's a lot of traditional Irish names that aren't as "out there" and hard to pronounce as some others that he might actually like. (Dh automatically vetoed anything he couldn't pronounce even after I told him how to say it. )[/b]
Ugh. DF's problem is that he cannot spell. He's been trying to improve that so he actually goes back and corrects everything he misspells after he's done writing something (even a grocery list). But now he's getting into "what things look like in English" and refuses to spell things correctly in Irish (which is a sore spot with me because I spoke Irish as a child!). I mean, he suggested spelling Siobhan "Shavonne", which might sound okay to a lot of Americans, but looks awful to me.

Yeah ... he doesn't like any from my list and I don't like any from his (except Anastasia ... I might be convinced to use it as a middle name). The only one I like that he would consider is Eithne (but he says only if I spell it ENYA ).
[/b]
Well I think the correct spelling is a lot of the charm of the name (especially a traditionally ethnic name). And if he's not willing to spell it correctly then I'd just scrap the whole thing. Maybe buy a name book, or two, and go through it together? There are tons of names out there, you guys will find something you both agree to. I have a cousin named Eamonn and it took the family some time to adjust to its uniqueness but even the worst spellers can spell it and if its his own child he will remember how to spell the name. Good luck!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 31st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Well I think the correct spelling is a lot of the charm of the name (especially a traditionally ethnic name). And if he's not willing to spell it correctly then I'd just scrap the whole thing. Maybe buy a name book, or two, and go through it together? There are tons of names out there, you guys will find something you both agree to. I have a cousin named Eamonn and it took the family some time to adjust to its uniqueness but even the worst spellers can spell it and if its his own child he will remember how to spell the name. Good luck!
[/b]
I love Eamonn!

We already have two boys' names though. For some reason we can agree on those. But for girls ... ugh this isn't working!

He suggested, if I'm so in love with Irish names, why not use Fiona? He can spell that. Or Shannon. Um, well, because Fiona's made-up, and because Shannon is both Anglicized and overused. He doesn't see the problem. If he's going to let me use something from a style I love it had better be spelled correctly and real.

He says he'll consider Margaux now, but he doesn't really like it.

</div>
January 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Katzchen
How about Aine/Anya it has the same sounds as Anastasia.

Some Irish names I like (with no accents since I don't know how to make them on the boards.)

Aoibheann/ Eavan
Grainne / Grania
Marta
Sorcha
Una/ Oona* I think this one might be a good as Una is a traditional Irish name, and is similar to Umay.

While it is not Irish, the Scottish name Lileas/Lilias is very pretty.
January 31st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I think Paisley Anastasia... that's cute.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search