Naming dilema

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Candace and I'm 18 weeks pregnant with our 5th child...a boy.

DH and I like the name Miles for a first name. One reason we like it is because DH is a professional musician and a big jazz buff. Our last name is Maynard. Miles and Maynard are both famous jazz musician names.

We are thinking maybe Alexander for a middle name so....

Miles Alexander Maynard

What do you all think? We want something different yet traditional. Can you think of any other middle names that would go well with it?

Here's the problem...our kids HATE the name Miles. (Especially our 15 yr old DD) Would you name your new baby a name that it's sisters and brothers can't stand? Do you think they'd just get over it?

Thanks so much,

February 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but this is what I say to anyone who has opinions on my names I choose. IF you didn't bother to come to the creation of this child then you can't name them, Aorry. I personally like the name Miles. I think it is nice and the fact that it means something to you and your dh is a bonus. Good luck whatever you decide!
February 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree....the name really means a lot to you and your DH. Give the baby that name. Your son will get over it. My daughter wanted her new baby brother's name to be Faith! She's very upset that we won't name him that and refuses to accept any other name!

February 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
Miles is a *great* name. But I worry how your other children will act towards him if you do give him a name that they hate.

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
February 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think they should have a huge say in it, since they're not the parents.

But that being said, children aren't exactly mature when it comes to separating personal feelings from their actions. I.e., they don't have the rational faculties they need to realize that you can't judge a person based on the negative associations they have.

So if they'd avoid bonding with their brother, or not want to interact with him, or be angry with you and DH and the baby over this (and some younger kids might ... they don't know how to reconcile those feelings yet), I wouldn't use it. The fact is, they should be just as excited about this as you and DH are, because they will love him equally as much and their lives will be just as changed as yours! A young child that's already feeling resentment over the intrusion and upheaval shouldn't really be made to deal with extra negative feelings on top of that. Part of it might be that they're feeling totally out of control right now ... I mean, I doubt you consulted them about whether you should get pregnant again. Not that you should have. But being completely powerless and subject to someone else's apparent whims is kind of emotionally damaging. They are having to deal with something that is changing their entire lives and it's out of their hands entirely. That would be upsetting to anyone.

But you're still the parents. I'm not suggesting that you let the kids vote to name him Dirtbike or Shrek. They will eventually get over not being able to choose his name but to minimize the discomfort, I'd suggest choosing about three names (all professional musicians if that's what you're after), including Miles if you like, and ask their preference. Ask if they'd choose Miles, Elvis, or Beethoven (for example ). You might be surprised by what they choose, and in any case, you could always use Miles as a middle name if they prefer something else. Or let them pick the middle name, and if he seems more like the middle name at birth they can call him that. Choosing the middle name (from pre-approved ones, chosen by you and DH) might help them feel like they have more to do with the pregnancy and more of a stake in their little bro.

So yes, they'd eventually get over it and it is your prerogative to decide whether they get any say at all, but it might be at the expense of an early relationship with the new baby.

</div>
February 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Kellyf0506's Avatar Veteran
I think Miles Alexander is adorable!

I actually know what your kids are feeling, when my little sister was born (1985) I hated her name, worse yet so did my father. My father had named my brother, and I was a compromise between the two, so my dad promised my mom she could choose the first name of my little sister no questions asked. I was six at the time and remember it well. Her name is Ashlee Marie. My father and I called her Marie the entire end of my mom's pregnancy. Needless to say from the moment my father saw her he knew she was an Ashlee, I got over it in about a minute and I'm almost positive Ashlee will be a middle name for one of our daughters. All will work itself out, your children will come around when they see that cute little boy. Good Luck