Log In Sign Up

What whould you name...


Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
February 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Katzchen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Rivka's sister?

I have finally settled on Rivka Garnet for our first daughter, but need ideas for a name for a little sister, should one ever exist.

It must be a Hebrew/ Jewish name and the middle name must be some variant of Elizabeth...

Names like Miriam and Leah are okay, but they seem a little pale compared to Rivka (the Hebrew form of Rebecca).

Any ideas ladies?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
February 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,377
Hm. Do you know what variant of Elizabeth you'd like to use?
__________________
<div align="center">




</div>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
February 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Katzchen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Hm. Do you know what variant of Elizabeth you'd like to use?[/b]

Elizabeth/ Elisabeth are the top contenders right now. The grandmother we are honouring is Elzbieta, but has gone by Betty since moving to the US in the '50's. We can't use her name exactly due to Jewish traditions.

We definitely don't want to use Isabel/ Isabella or Alyssa, but are open to other varients.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
February 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 661
Is there a list or compilations of names that are OK choose from? I know Biblical names but not the Hebrew variants of them.

Here's some suggestions so far (just straight from the Bible)

Kezia (Cassia)
Sapphira (thought that might be a nice link to Garnet)
Phoebe

As for Elizabeth variants--would Aliza or Eliza work? Elisheva?

Of course, just the classic Elisabeth is great too. I prefer it with the S over the Z.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
February 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Katzchen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Is there a list or compilations of names that are OK choose from? I know Biblical names but not the Hebrew variants of them.

Here's some suggestions so far (just straight from the Bible)

Kezia (Cassia)
Sapphira (thought that might be a nice link to Garnet)
Phoebe

As for Elizabeth variants--would Aliza or Eliza work? Elisheva?

Of course, just the classic Elisabeth is great too. I prefer it with the S over the Z.[/b]
Well, my husband has approved Leila, Noa, Abigail, Leah, Hannah and Miriam. I like names like Aviva, Delilah and Chaya. There is a good list of Hebrew names here

I love the name Keziah but it (along with Jemima/Yemima) has strong history as a slave name in the US, and it would be insensitive to use them.

Sapphira is pretty on paper but sounds horrible to my ear and Phoebe is a New Testament name, I believe.

As far as Eliza and Elisheva, I am open to whatever sounds best with the first name. I just don't care for Isabel, Isabella and Alyssa because they are very popular right now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
February 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio.
Posts: 11,976
Aww, yaay. I love Rivka.
Rivka Garnet.
I really like Isabel (spelled only this way).

I really like Liora with Rivka.
Liora:
Elizabeth
Lise
Elisa

I love Liora Elizabeth.
__________________
audrey jane 03.01.08
elliot benjamin 02.02.11
Reply With Quote
  #8  
February 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,377
I really like Miriam Eliza. But I'm coming back to this after dinner when I have some free time!
__________________
<div align="center">




</div>
Reply With Quote
  #9  
February 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 661
Thanks for posting to the link of names, I checked a few out and found some more I liked:
Sela, Zara, even Aliyah (though Aliyah might be considered trendy now).
Out of your husband's names, I like Miriam the best, mainly b/c I hear Leah, Abigail, and Hannah a lot. I don't hear Leila, but it is similar to Lily and the like. I'm afraid Noa will just be associated with "THE" Noah, as I just hear it and automatically think of the ark. It's too much associated with a man for my to consider it a girl's name.
I LOVE Aviva, that is probably my favorite!
BTW, I don't think Keziah has as strong of a slave history as something like Jemima. I grew up in the south and have never heard that. I would definitely associate Jemima with slavery but not Keziah. But I can definitely understand the turn off if you associate it with that.

Good luck narrowing down the field. Let us know when you have a few favorites put together.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
February 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Katzchen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Thanks for posting to the link of names, I checked a few out and found some more I liked:
Sela, Zara, even Aliyah (though Aliyah might be considered trendy now).
Out of your husband's names, I like Miriam the best, mainly b/c I hear Leah, Abigail, and Hannah a lot. I don't hear Leila, but it is similar to Lily and the like. I'm afraid Noa will just be associated with "THE" Noah, as I just hear it and automatically think of the ark. It's too much associated with a man for my to consider it a girl's name.
I LOVE Aviva, that is probably my favorite!
BTW, I don't think Keziah has as strong of a slave history as something like Jemima. I grew up in the south and have never heard that. I would definitely associate Jemima with slavery but not Keziah. But I can definitely understand the turn off if you associate it with that.

Good luck narrowing down the field. Let us know when you have a few favorites put together.[/b]
I love Aviva, but then (if I have 4 kids, I want to have at least 4...) it would be Oliver, Rivka, Aviva and Jonas. The lack of 'v' just makes Jonas sound so out of place I guess its not a big deal because I may have only one girl or none at all...

I agree with you about Hannah, Leah and Abigail. They are even more popular in the Jewish community. Leila/Layla is getting popular too.

I like Noa a lot, but don't ever think that I would use it since Noah is the English form of Noach.

I think Miriam Eliza/ Miriam Elisabeth is the best option now, but Miriam just seems so pale in comparison to Rivka.

I really need to convince DH that Mia or Maya is a great nn for Amalia. He insists on shortening it to Amy, and I have nothing but bad associations with that name.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
February 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Knoxvegas, TN
Posts: 414
I'm going to tackle the Jewish/Hebrew names tack, as I know more about it than forms of Elizabeth.
Names in my family or my Temple classes (as a child):

Miriam (my aunt). I know you said it "pales," but I LOVE this name!!
Hannah (me)
Inez (grandma)
Marilyn
Rachel (As you probably know, this is the name of MANY girls in the Jewish community)

Mindy
Mitzi
Norah (music teacher)
Deborah
Esther
Elisheva

Here! My favorite name site. And here are names related to, or variations of, Elizabeth.
__________________




Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0