Territorial over names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I posted something like this in another thread....but do any of you get territorial over names? By that I mean--do you guys have a name that you have loved FOREVER that is now becoming really popular? The three names that I have loved since I was very young (I've always thought about baby names, even as a child) are Alexandra, Charlotte and Gabriel (for a boy)....now I feel like all three are taking off. I used to like Jacob and look what happened to that Sorry, just a bit of a rant...hehehe....When I found out my pregnant cousin was going to name her daughter Alexa (which I hate), I told her that it was a cute name but that she had to be aware that if I had a daughter, she was going to be an Alexandra no matter what

So...what are the names you have loved for a long time that are unfortunately becoming very popular? Are you still going to use those names?
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM
MamaBx3
I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .

But if someone in my family knew I loved a name and they were going to use it than yes , I'd be mad
February 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always dreamed of naming a daughter Alyssa, and I still think it's a gorgeous name, but has lost some of its appeal to me as it became so popular over the last 5 to 10 years.

I also get annoyed when really good boy names get coopted by girls, and don't sound as masculine anymore. Examples of names I love for boys but are more girl names now include Taylor and Cameron.

February 8th, 2007, 06:19 PM
maymay
Quote:
I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .[/b]

so ditto! It's hard for me to seee someone dropping a name that they LOVE b/c it's popular.
February 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Angelica81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Angelica81
Since I was a little girl I've adored the name Isabella. Now it's becoming really popular but I don't care. haha I told my BF he didn't really have a choice on the name if we had a girl Luckily he seems to like it too.

For a boy I've always loved Jacob, but that's just not an option as we already have a couple kids in the extended family with that name.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
February 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Genevieve is getting more popular now. I used to love it so much.

I know it's kind of silly to care how many people have that name, but I had a popular name and HATED it. I don't want my kids to hate their names too.

</div>
February 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
Isabella, Alexandra, and Genevieve are my top 3 for a girl. Now they're popular.

Julian is my absolute #1 for a boy. I hate how it's booming.

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
February 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Alexandra, Isabelle, Gabrielle are some of my fav girls names that are getting real popular atm though luckily for me my top name (Brynn) is still pretty unique though I bet with my luck by the time I am ready to have a baby that name will be super popular...for boys Alexander, Jonah and unfortuantly my top name Noah are getting real popular...though popularity wouldn't stop me using it
February 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Bre+Will=Reid
When my parents named me, Breanna/Brianna was hardly even on the map (deff. not on the top 100 list). When I was a kid I used to hear "oh wow, what a pretty and unique name!".....Check out what happened to it on the top 100 list in the 90's

1990- 61
1991- 51
1992- 43
1993- 32
1994- 27
1995- 21
1996- 17
1997- 17
1998- 17
1999- 14 <----

I HATE that my name became popular! Therefor, I don't want to do that to my kids. I want to chose a name that isn't odd, but won't become common either.
February 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
** Mandy **
I always thought I would have a daughter named Samantha but now I think it is over used so I don't think I'm going to use it.

One name that DH and I have had stuck in our heads for the past couple of years is Kyle so I think if we have a boy he will be named that since we have become so attached to it.

February 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Kellyf0506's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I don't really care how popular names are .. If I like them I'll use them .[/b]
I agree, to an extent. I've loved Emma my whole life but would never use it now, it's #1. I'm a Kelly born in 1980, so there were a million other Kelly's i've know in my life, it never really bothered me. Also I married a man with 11 nieces (I had none before) so Claire, Abigail, and Kelsey (some of my favorites growing up) are out for me.
I love Charlotte and Katherine and will probably use these no matter what, the sister in laws know these are my "don't touch" names!