What would you do?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Katzchen
I had wanted to name a child Julia Elisabeth since I was 12, and my sister was very aware of this. However, she had twins in June and named the girl Julia Nicole. I wasn't really that upset about it at the time, because I was having a boy (we were pregnant at the same time) and I figured that I would have plenty of time to find a new name that DH and I could agree on.

But now that DH and I are getting ready to try for #2, we face a bit of a problem. Julia Elisabeth, Juliana Elisabeth and Juliet Elisabeth are the only names that we both love.

So here are my options..

1.Name a girl if we have one Julia Elisabeth... After all, they have different middle names and last names, and the cousins would see each other maybe twice a year since my sister just moved across the country. My sister knew that this was a possibility when she choose to name her daughter Julia, and is fine with it. (After all, she admits to "stealing" my name )

2.Use Juliana Elisabeth or Juliet Elisabeth, so that the girls' names are at least slightly different. That way when they are together they can be Juliet and Julia instead of using middle or last names to distinguish them.

3.Pick a completely different name, even though it will mean that either DH or I will have to choose a name that we like instead of love.

Right now we are leaning towards #3, but I wanted to see what others think!

Edited to add: Not that it really matters, because knowing my luck I will have 5 boys!
February 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Honestly, I would pick a completely different name. I cant imagine having a cousin who has the same, or similar name as me. I just think that would be weird, ya know?

At the very least I'd make it either Juliana or Juliet (I say Juliet). But like I said, I'd pick a completely different name.

And I would be LIVID if a family member stole one of my names, *especially* if they knew we had planned on using it.

February 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I don't see any reason to pick a totally different name since you've loved this one forever and the girls will see each other little if at all.

However they would be related and they would see each other sometimes. It's weird to me to have cousins with the exact same name (especially if neither will have a nickname). It would be a little confusing to grandparents and other aunts/uncles IMO. I would also be afraid that since the older one is already "Julia" to the family, yours would get stuck with being called Elisabeth or a silly nickname by the other family members.

Since you say you also love Juliana and Juliet, I would go with one of them.

That way you can use a name you love, and your family won't be tempted to give her a nickname. YOU could still call her Juli or Julia if you wanted to, and if your relatives REALLY wanted to call her something different they could call her Ana (if you use Juliana).

</div>
February 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Katzchen
Quote:

I don't see any reason to pick a totally different name since you've loved this one forever and the girls will see each other little if at all.[/b]

My sister and I don't really care that the girls would have the same name, but my mom is LIVID that I would name my daughter the same name that my sister named hers.

Julia Nicole is called Julie as a NN, btw, and our Julia/Juliana/Juliet would be Jules (or JulieBeth, which is nms, but I think is cute anyways!)
February 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see any reason to pick a totally different name since you've loved this one forever and the girls will see each other little if at all.[/b]

My sister and I don't really care that the girls would have the same name, but my mom is LIVID that I would name my daughter the same name that my sister named hers.

Julia Nicole is called Julie as a NN, btw, and our Julia/Juliana/Juliet would be Jules (or JulieBeth, which is nms, but I think is cute anyways!)
[/b]
Your mom already had her chance to name babies. She should be happy that BOTH her daughters have good taste instead of worrying about something that's not her problem IMO.

If she wants them to have "totally different" names she can call them Peanut and Pumpkin. She'll work it out.

</div>
February 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be beside myself if my sister stole a name I'd wanted my whole life!

That said, I would go ahead and use Juliet or Juliana.

February 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Katzchen
Quote:
I would be beside myself if my sister stole a name I'd wanted my whole life![/b]

I try to take it as a complement, since she is my little sister and has always wanted/liked everything I have wanted or liked. She actually let me name her first daughter. I picked Michaela Catherine and she named my first niece Makayla Katherine, and tells Makayla that she is named after Auntie Kate

So I can't be too mad
February 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Kellyf0506's Avatar Veteran
What about Elisabeth Juliet, you still get both names. This is tough, why would your sister do that? I wouldn't name them both Juila though, I would use it as a middle name though.

Others you may like
Amelia Juliet
Leila Juliet
Leila Julianne
Dalia Juliet
Lillianna Elisabeth.
hope this helped