TV Names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
What do y'all think of names from trendy TV shows? Lately I have heard so many people wanting to name their kids names like Meredith (Grays Anatomy character) and Evangeline (actress from Lost). Do you think your name preferences are influenced by the shows you watch? I named my daughter Sydney. My first choice for a boy was Vaughan. My favorite TV show (when it was on) was Alias and those are names of the main characters - I didn't even realize I was choosing names from the show (actually Sydney was hubbys choice)! I guess it was subconcscious. I still like Vaughan should I have a boy, and it never got popular, but then Alias was never near as huge as Grays Anatomy. Would you be more or less likely to choose a name from a popular TV show?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Miss.Tee
Ummm... probably less likely, unless we totally adored it beforehand. We just dont like popular names.
February 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it was a less popular show that I adored, I think I'd be more likely to use it than a name that had no pop culture connection at all!

But for the trendy shows like Grey's Anatomy and all, I'm less likely to consider using a name from it even if I love it. I'm just not the kind of person who would deal well with hearing "Oh, like ---- from that TV show?" every day.

Oh, yes. Just wanted to add that this is totally the kind of thing I had in mind.

</div>
February 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
chlodoll
Less likely unless as mentioned previously I loved it before the show was around.

I like the name Phoebe but I think the friends relation is to strong still!
February 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Less likely unless as mentioned previously I loved it before the show was around.

I like the name Phoebe but I think the friends relation is to strong still![/b]
I never even watched Friends! I love Phoebe.

</div>
February 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
chlodoll
You have never seen Friends! Now that is astonishing! lol

Thanks I think its so pretty!
February 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
I would be less likely to choose a name that was popular for being on TV.[/b]
Andrea, I totally bit you!

Anyway, I don't think I would choose anything based on TV.
I'm not really a fan of it, but I'm sure other people do.
February 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Kellyf0506's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't do it intentionally but If I loved a name, it being a name from a Tv show, or actor/ actress wouldnt make me not use it either!

Side note: After Rachael on Friends named her baby Emma, the names popularity shot through the roof!

powered by Justmommies Baby Names
February 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Well some of my favourite names are from TV shows but not ones that are too popular anymore

Maeve and Bryn(n) - Maeve is a character from the old series (1997-98) Adventures of Sinbad and she was my childhood heroine, I've been lucky enough to even email the actress and have a quick conversation with her. After that character was pretty much killed off in the second season a new lead character...Bryn...came onto the scene. I never liked the character but loved the name.

Gabrielle, Hope, Eve - I used too (like many girls) be in love with the show Xena Warrior Princess...Xena's sidekick was Gabrielle, Hope was Gabrielle's daughter and Eve was Xena's daughter. GP's also came from that show, Callisto and Solan (though in the show I think it was spelled Solon)

So while I wouldn't choose a name just because it's on a show I do get some ideas from TV...never would have heard of Bryn if it wasn't for the Sinbad series...It is a good source of ideas
February 12th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Regular
I know TV names are most popular names .... But would not choose any name from The television show... I will choose name which is uncommon ....
Thankx !
February 13th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Katzchen
Quote:
I agree that if I loved the name before, it became a popular name on TV I would most likely name my child that, but I would not pick a name from TV and say oh I HAVE to name my kid that....[/b]
While I shy away from most of the super popular names, there are a few that I will use no matter what!
February 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM
bluebutterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like common names or over used ones, but if I like the name I'm going to consider using it whether it's on TV or not.

Thank you tasha_mae for the awesome siggy!

February 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it has to do a lot with the 'awareness' factor. Meredith is a name that seemed to have disappeared and now that it's on tv people are like hmm...that's a nice name that isn't overused. I personally don't like names that are popular or have the potential to get popular so I'd shy away from them but that's just me. I wonder how many Dawson's popped up after that show aired.
February 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM
~Danielle~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be less likely to use it. I just wouldnt want people to think of the tv show everytime they hear the name.

February 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It depends. My dh got the idea for Lincoln from a movie that used to be a tv show (mod sqaud). He heard it and fell in love with it. Obviously it wasnt super popular. He also got the name Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (tv series). As long as it wasnt over the top trendy/popular and I loved it, I would do it

February 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Quote:
I agree that if I loved the name before, it became a popular name on TV I would most likely name my child that, but I would not pick a name from TV and say oh I HAVE to name my kid that....People have name associations, I LOVE the name Mallory, DH refuses the name because of Mallory Keaton on Family Ties...and how long ago was that show on???[/b]
I love Family Ties!

I would definitely think of the show if I heard the name Mallory, but I wouldn't say anything because it was so long ago!

</div>
February 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I'm more likely to choose a name from a book I'm reading, lol. Like my second daughter (if I have one) will be Morgaine and my second son (if I have one) will be Galahad... both are from The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search