Cane

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM
MommytoOliviaandCole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WDYT?

February 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is a guilty pleasure of mine. I really like the name...But it sounds so sinister to me...like Damian (another guilty pleasure of mine).
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

February 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Katzchen
I like Cain (don't care for the Cane spelling) but wouldn't use it due to the Biblical figure.
February 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
meanboys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This is a guilty pleasure of mine. I really like the name...But it sounds so sinister to me...like Damian (another guilty pleasure of mine).[/b]
Same here! I've always loved Cain, Damien and Damon but whenever anyone finds that out, they act like I'm going to name the baby Adolph or something. Unfortunately it's hard to overcome biblical sin with reference to a name! That and any reference to the devil
February 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Damien is not related to the devil.

They chose the name for The Omen because they liked how it sounded. If the kid's name had been Frank we'd all think that sounded really sinister too.

There are two saints named Damian and a priest who is about to become a saint is named Damien. Were they named after the devil? I seriously doubt it. Look up Blessed Damien of Molokai and tell me he's named after the devil.

</div>
February 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Same here! I've always loved Cain, Damien and Damon but whenever anyone finds that out, they act like I'm going to name the baby Adolph or something.[/b]
exactly!

I do realize that Damien is not related to the devil directly...however, most people rely on their first gut reaction...it's all about perceptions....
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!

February 19th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Same here! I've always loved Cain, Damien and Damon but whenever anyone finds that out, they act like I'm going to name the baby Adolph or something.[/b]
exactly!

I do realize that Damien is not related to the devil directly...however, most people rely on their first gut reaction...it's all about perceptions....
[/b][/quote]

I know it is. And it's fine for people to say they don't want their kid to be associated with The Omen. Whatever. But my DF's name is Damien and I'm sorry, but it's really hurtful when complete strangers say "Oh you must be really evil then?" and snicker ... especially since it's just a pop culture association, unlike say Cain, which IS associated with a bad person with its first use.

</div>
February 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't mean to cause any offense. I really like the names Damian and Cain. And I would never think of saying something to someone and think that it's completely wrong to make a joke of someone's name. I totally understand why you would be upset by someone saying things to you. That being said--this is a forum to discuss names, our feelings about them--and possible conotations. That is what I was doing. But I really never meant to offend you or anyone else who is named Cain/Damian or who likes those names....

February 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I cant help but think of Cain and Able. :-/ I wouldnt use it because of that, lol... but thats me.

February 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Quote:
I didn't mean to cause any offense. I really like the names Damian and Cain. And I would never think of saying something to someone and think that it's completely wrong to make a joke of someone's name. I totally understand why you would be upset by someone saying things to you. That being said--this is a forum to discuss names, our feelings about them--and possible conotations. That is what I was doing. But I really never meant to offend you or anyone else who is named Cain/Damian or who likes those names....[/b]
I know this is a forum to discuss names. That's why I'm here.

It's fine for you to say you wouldn't use them. That's not offensive in the least. What bothers me is when people start mentioning Damien as being "evil" and then I explain it's not ... and then someone else comes right back and says "I still think it sounds evil".

Same thing when someone says "Jadyn means princess in Polish", someone says it doesn't and provides references, then another person comes along and says "oh yeah I love Jadyn especially since it means princess". That just really bothers me.

</div>
February 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I know this is a forum to discuss names. That's why I'm here.

It's fine for you to say you wouldn't use them. That's not offensive in the least. What bothers me is when people start mentioning Damien as being "evil" and then I explain it's not ... and then someone else comes right back and says "I still think it sounds evil".

Same thing when someone says "Jadyn means princess in Polish", someone says it doesn't and provides references, then another person comes along and says "oh yeah I love Jadyn especially since it means princess". That just really bothers me.[/b]
...fair enough

February 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nms

February 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I dont like it
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
February 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
meanboys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just as an aside, my birthday is 6/6/68 so you can imagine the Omen jokes I get. My dad's birthday is 6/6 and I'm hoping to schedule my CS so that my son could possibly share our birthday too, but of course, that makes everyone go..."Why don't you just go ahead and name him Damien" even though his bday would be 6/6/07 Duh.

But it's like Acadia said....if the boy had been Frank, that would be the "evil" name. I hate it when there are associations made between a character and a particular name. I love Damien but I've never mentioned it and NOT had someone make the immediate connection to The Omen.
February 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Dh has a friend named Kane. Its ok but im just use to seeing it with a "k".

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search