Lilith

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
irishxrose
This is one of my favorite names. WDYT?
March 1st, 2007, 02:11 PM
Katzchen
I love this name. I could never use it, though, because it has bad associations in Jewish Folklore.
March 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's cute!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

March 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
mlee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
love, love, love it!!! I would have considered it but it was very hard to say with our last name (begins with an "SH" sound) makes for kind of a tongue twister.

March 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
MommytoOliviaandCole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty but not a name I would use.

March 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nms

March 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM
~Danielle~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nms sorry.. Lily is cute though.

March 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like it! Feminists have attempted to reclaim the story of Lilith and symbolize her as a strong woman, feminine, and fertile.

From http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Proj...ower/lilith.htm :

""Lilith is an extremely controversial figure within Jewish folklore. Lilith's name is not included in the creation story of the Torah but she appears in several midrashic texts. Her symbolism, history and literature are debated among Jewish scholars, feminists and other intellectuals. There are multiple origin stories for Lilith but the most popular history told views Lilith as the first wife of Adam. According to the "first Eve" story Lilith was created by God from dust and placed to live in the garden with Adam until problems arose between Adam and Lilith when Adam tried to exercise dominance over Lilith. One story tells that Lilith refused to lay beneath Adam during sex. She believed they were created equal, both from the dust of the earth, thus she should not have to lay beneath him. After Adam disagreed, Lilith fled the Garden of Eden to gain her independence. Adam told God that Lilith had left and God sent three angels, Senoi, Sansenoi, and Sammangelof, to retrieve her. The three angels found Lilith in a cave bearing children but Lilith refused to come back to the garden.""

Well it kinda goes downhill from there, but as with many religious representations of female characters, Lilith has been utilized as a symbol of evil, of temptation, and of "femininity gone awry" (sleeping with a married man, killing babies). That way women could be blamed for so much and their inferior place was ensured in society.

Sorry for the soapbox speech... this is all in defense of the wonderful and beautiful name Lilith and in support of reversing the bad rap that the Jewish Lilith has received over time.

March 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
RandomRobot's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love it!
March 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
I like it! Feminists have attempted to reclaim the story of Lilith and symbolize her as a strong woman, feminine, and fertile.

From http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Proj...ower/lilith.htm :

""Lilith is an extremely controversial figure within Jewish folklore. Lilith's name is not included in the creation story of the Torah but she appears in several midrashic texts. Her symbolism, history and literature are debated among Jewish scholars, feminists and other intellectuals. There are multiple origin stories for Lilith but the most popular history told views Lilith as the first wife of Adam. According to the "first Eve" story Lilith was created by God from dust and placed to live in the garden with Adam until problems arose between Adam and Lilith when Adam tried to exercise dominance over Lilith. One story tells that Lilith refused to lay beneath Adam during sex. She believed they were created equal, both from the dust of the earth, thus she should not have to lay beneath him. After Adam disagreed, Lilith fled the Garden of Eden to gain her independence. Adam told God that Lilith had left and God sent three angels, Senoi, Sansenoi, and Sammangelof, to retrieve her. The three angels found Lilith in a cave bearing children but Lilith refused to come back to the garden.""

Well it kinda goes downhill from there, but as with many religious representations of female characters, Lilith has been utilized as a symbol of evil, of temptation, and of "femininity gone awry" (sleeping with a married man, killing babies). That way women could be blamed for so much and their inferior place was ensured in society.

Sorry for the soapbox speech... this is all in defense of the wonderful and beautiful name Lilith and in support of reversing the bad rap that the Jewish Lilith has received over time.[/b]
Wonderful post! I knew that in Jewish folklore, Lilith was a "bad" name; but I've always loved it. Thank you for posting that!
March 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
nms..
March 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
gee102
I prefer just Lilly
March 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wonderful post! I knew that in Jewish folklore, Lilith was a "bad" name; but I've always loved it. Thank you for posting that![/b]
Hey, I'm just trying to right the wrongs of the world here... LOL... no really I love the name Lilith too and it drives me crazy that strong women in religions as well as history in general have received a bad rap. Well for a while I was stuck on the name Salome (Sah-lo-may) for a girl until I found out that she has a bad rap in the bible for asking for the head of John the Baptist or some such thing. Well... honestly I was still going to use it until I realized that many people could mispronounce it "salami" and decided I did not want my daughter known as lunch meat.

March 2nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
I love it!

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
March 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love it!

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

March 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
NewMami2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cute, but nms.

</div>
March 3rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Veteran
its adorable, its a family name for me and I would love to use it sometime.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search