I need advice!!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I have always loved the name Genevieve and would love to name our (future) daughter either Alexandra or Genevieve (or use both if I have two girls). My conundrum is that my SIL's name is Genevieve. I am not particularly close to her (especially cuz she lives in Australia) and so saying that I am naming the baby after her would not really work. In addition, DH has another sister, Veronica. And while I like the name-I don't love it. So my questions are:

Would it be wierd to name the baby Genevieve?

If I did name the baby Genevieve, would the other sister feel wierd?

Been thinking about this a lot lately...what do you think?
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

March 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Katzchen
I personally would use it, and I would tell both of my SIL that the baby was not named after anyone, it was just a name that I had always loved.
March 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I personally would use it, and I would tell both of my SIL that the baby was not named after anyone, it was just a name that I had always loved.[/b]

March 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My theory is if you both like it and can agree then use it. Just explain to everyone that you arent naming her after you SIL its just that you boh like the name.

March 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
SchwarzeWitwe's Avatar Veteran
Oh God, don't ask! Alexandra and Genevieve are in my top 3! I can't decide!

Julian Marcus. Andrew Thomas. Michael anything.

Isabella Simone. Genevieve Amalia. Alexandra Katharine. Lucia Elizabeth.
March 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Ditto the others, if you like it then use it1 It doesn't mean the child has to be named after your SIL...If it is a bit too much though how about a name similar like Ginevra or Ginny
March 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM
gee102
Quote:
I personally would use it, and I would tell both of my SIL that the baby was not named after anyone, it was just a name that I had always loved.[/b]
March 11th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your input guys! I really would like to use it...

Ginevra...that's interesting. I'll have to think on that one a bit more
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!

March 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's fine to use even though your SIL has the same name. After all it's not like you're "stealing" a name just to spite her or anything.

But a word of caution. Don't go out of your way to tell people that your daughter isn't named after her ... as in, don't make that part of what you tell everyone when you tell them the name, like "Oh, we're naming her Genevieve, but that's not after my brother Bob's wife AT ALL. I just love the name and even though she already has it, I still want to use it." That sounds vaguely negative.

Instead phrase it positively and ONLY when people ask. Try "Oh, yes, I know Bob's wife is named Genevieve. I've thought it was absolutely beautiful ever since I was a little girl! Naming a daughter Genevieve just seems right to me ... who knew Bob would choose a woman from a family with such wonderful naming taste!? Maybe Genevieve will even be considered a 'family name' in the future." That sounds much more positive and still makes it clear that you're not choosing it to name the child after anyone.

Would the sis feel weird? Probably not. Just mention it to her beforehand so that she doesn't find out at the same time as everyone else. And don't presume that you have "all rights" to the name now. I've heard of someone naming their baby Julie in the same situation (not after the aunt but because they liked it) and insisting at the shower that the aunt be called BIG Julie from then on. How horrifying is that, especially since the woman was overweight? It's still her name. If she would prefer that the baby have a nickname (Evie, Ginny, whatever) for family members to call her by when you're all together (however un-often that may be), give her one. Even if she's not called Genevieve she might want the baby to have a nickname too (for those situations) so that there's no possibility for confusion at all.

</div>
March 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the advice Acadia...I can't believe someone insisted on having that woman be called Big Julie. I will definitely tread softly and ask her prior to announcing the name. If she feels uncomfortable with it--there are other names we like too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search