All You Name Researchers, Can Ya Help?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've just had an idea that throws all my girls' names out the window.

What was I thinking of with Dante and Niccolo? I was thinking of Dante Alighieri and Niccolo Machiavelli. I even think it would be incredibly cool to hang a painting of each in the child's room. Maybe they'll even be interested in reading The Divine Comedy and The Prince at some point. Dante and Machiavelli were strong, intelligent, role-model-worthy all-around golden men of the Renaissance.

What am I thinking of with Genevieve, Eilidh, etc? They're pretty and delicate enough without being overused. How freaking sexist am I being!?

There's nothing wrong with choosing a child's name "just because you like it", but to choose one genders' names that way and to choose the other genders' by honoring famous and great people ... that isn't very nice.

So far I've come up with Eleanor of Aquitaine and Christine de Pizan. I think Eleanor is very pretty but for some reason I'm not liking Christine. Eleanor doesn't seem like "it" either ... there must be more! There's also Émilie du Châtelet. I like Émilie a lot but DF just says it's "okay". And Emily is pretty popular.

I think I need "naming help" specifically, because anyone can look up a list of famous women but there are a lot of popular names (Isabellas abound) and just obviously not right names (like Aspasia of Miletus) to weed out. There are lists upon lists upon more lists. I don't expect anyone to go through all of those but if one springs to mind, or you find a list of notable women (preferably historical ... no offense to modern women but I'd rather have historical), could you please post a few of the names from it that you like?

TIA!

</div>
March 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Katzchen
OOO I love a challenge!

Caterina de Medici
Catalina of Aragon
Gráinne Ní Mháille
Maria Skłodowska-Curie
Clarissa (Clara) Harlowe Barton
Louisa May Alcott
***Francesca Caccini***
***Vittoria Colonna***

List of Italian Women Writers

I starred the names that I think go very well with Niccolo and Dante, and I'll com back when I think of more
March 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Xtine's Avatar Hip Fresh & Famous
Well, my name is Christine and I think it's a nice name, and Christine de Pizan was a fascinating, strong self-educated woman Eleanor d'Aquitaine was no less amazing! I researched her in my college French class. Eleanor is a lovely name and not heard that often.

Some other outstanding French women who had beautiful names:

Marguerite de Navarre, who wrote the Heptameron and many other works
Eugénie de Montijo, last empress - well-educated and sophisticated
and
Elisabeth of Bavaria - one of the Habsburgs
March 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
OOO I love a challenge!

Caterina de Medici
Catalina of Aragon
Gráinne Ní Mháille
Maria Skłodowska-Curie
Clarissa (Clara) Harlowe Barton
Louisa May Alcott
***Francesca Caccini***
***Vittoria Colonna***

List of Italian Women Writers

I starred the names that I think go very well with Niccolo and Dante, and I'll com back when I think of more [/b]
Clarissa would be incredibly appropriate with all the Red Cross has done here. I didn't even think of Clara Barton.

Quote:
Well, my name is Christine and I think it's a nice name, and Christine de Pizan was a fascinating, strong self-educated woman Eleanor d'Aquitaine was no less amazing! I researched her in my college French class. Eleanor is a lovely name and not heard that often.

Some other outstanding French women who had beautiful names:

Marguerite de Navarre, who wrote the Heptameron and many other works
Eugénie de Montijo, last empress - well-educated and sophisticated
and
Elisabeth of Bavaria - one of the Habsburgs[/b]
Awww I think Christine is a fine name. I just don't know about using it myself because I have an aunt by the name and she wasn't always nice when I was little. But when I think of Christine de Pizan instead of her ... it becomes vastly more appealing! All of these are definitely in consideration.

I like Marguerite and Vittoria especially, guys! Marguerite reminds me of one I already like a lot, Margaux, and Vittoria is gorgeous. There's a cousin named Victoria but she's called Vicky, so I could just insist that Vittoria be called by her proper name. Voila, no confusion.

Thanks to you both!

Feel free to suggest more, Katzchen, all you want ... and everyone else too.

</div>
March 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Katzchen
Thought of one more!

Annelies was the full first name of Anne Frank, and I think Annaliese would make a lovely name!
March 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Famous women of history? Lauren, you're my soulmate!!!
I found these sites:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/ancient..._Courtesans.htm
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/atoz/A_..._to_be_Real.htm
http://www.greatwomen.org/women.php?action=viewAll
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/100import/
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets_women.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search