First name/last name sound

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind saying (since it's oh so common) that our last name is Johnson. When thinking of names, I definitely think all names ending in "son" (Mason, etc.) are out, but what do you all think of other names that end in the same sort of ending with n sound? Examples: Kaelyn, Madisyn, Griffin, Colton... Does that still sound weird, or not so much? I can't decide.

Let me know what you all think, or if any of you have similar situations with your last name and first name ending sounds. Thanks!

March 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually think that N ending names go well with Johnson!! I come from the UK though so most likely have a different accent LOl!
March 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Super Mommy
I agree with you that all names ending in -son should be out. BUT I don't think names ending with the N sound are weird at all. They are definitely still useable with Johnson IMO.
March 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others that it sounds fine if they both end in the same letter.
March 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its fine

March 15th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Dombone's Avatar Twilight Obsessor.
I think the N ending names sound good with it

March 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks you all...I appreciate your opinions on that! Any of those names I mentioned earlier (Kaelyn, Madisyn, Griffin, Colton) sound better than the others if you were going to choose one to go with the last name Johnson? None of those are my leading favorites, but I do like them!

March 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I actually like Kaelyn Johnson... and I agree, names ending with N shouldn't be too problematic
March 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't mind sharing that my last name is King (since it's in my username and all!). And yes, it creates problems. It makes many names sound like words!
Joe King
Jack King
May King

Those are just a few off the top of my head. So your issues with Johnson are understandable. It is frustrating to have to "count out" a whole category of names.

That said, I agree that names ending with N should not pose a problem.

From your list, I like Kaelyn. Colton is ok but NMS. The others are NMSAA.

March 16th, 2007, 04:20 AM
jag-mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the others sound fine. I actually had the same prob;em when naming ds, my last name ended with
-sen and I really liked Jameison. So I shorten that and his name is Jaymin.
March 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Veteran
Same problem for us too ... our last name is Kelly, so it just ruins it for a lot of names we wanted to use. We're currently trying to find a name for our little girl due soon, (that we both agree on) and it's actually Caelyn. We are not thrilled how Caelyn Kelly sounds, but we still might use it!

I think the names that end with the N sound fine with your last name too!! Obviously I love your choice of Kaelyn the best!!
March 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's funny because (obviously from my screen name) my first name is Kelly! I actually really like the name Kaley (or Kaylee, Kayleigh, however you spell it) but it sounds like how my mom says my name when she says it with her southern accent! I bet that's hard with Kelly as your last name because a lot of -ly girl names might sound funny. I think Caelyn Kelly sounds really cute though! It's really hard to find names that sound right with certain last names!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search