Margaret or Juliet?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
Katzchen
What do you think of the name Margaret? I'm okay with it and DH actually likes it (mainly because one of his best friends in high school was a Margaret called Meg)

Our problem is nn's I like Daisy (love it! its the one reason I will consider Margaret) or Margot and he insists on Maggie or Meg...

He also like Juliet, but I'm really struggling with the fact that I have a 10 month old niece named Julia. (My sister doesn't care if we use Juliet, as she was aware that it was on our girls' list since we were pregnant at the same time. The cousins also live in different states, and will see each other once or twice a year at the most...)

He also can't stand the nn Jules, and I am a big nicknamer, so can't promise to call the baby Juliet all the time...
May 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
My sisters name is Julie and my aunt named her daughter Julia. Our families see each other once every couple of years. It's not a bad thing. I prefer Juliet. It's romantic and elegant. Margaret is so gross to me. It's like an old womans name. I can't see it being cute on a little girl.

May 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I think Juliet is really pretty. I also like the spelling Juliette. I love the nickname Jules actually. I don't think it would be an issue as far as it being close to your neice's name where you don't see her that often. I agree w/ the above, I'm not a big fan of Margaret.. Meg/Maggie is cute but I'd prefer Megan as for the full name.
May 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I definetly prefer Juliet to Margaret...and if your DH doesn't like the nickname Jules what about Lee?
May 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
sara*beth's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sara*beth
I was considering Juliette for my baby girl actually...I never really thought about a nn for her though, because I don't really care for Julie so much...hmmmm...
Margaret is nms, sounds old ladyish to me.

May 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Deirdre's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't like Margaret. It's my mom's name actually: Margaretha which is dutch but she goes by Marga.

It's not really my style but I do like Margo ..no "t" for me.

Maggie is ok but sounds more like a dog's name to me. :/

Juliet/Juliette is cute, classic name. I had a friend who was called Julie and I called her Jules.

May 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I like them both, I really like Margot though. I would probably pick Margaret, Juliet is nice too though.

May 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Margaret is NMS but I looooove Juliet. How about the NN Jule or Jul instead of Jules??
May 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
TannersMommy's Avatar TansTinkleMommy
I like Juliet, I think it is a beautiful name. I do not care for Margaret though, it's just so harsh to me...I can't see a beautiful baby named Margaret....sorry....but nms

May 22nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
mrsdutch's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsdutch
I love the name Meg! I think its really cute! I also think Juliet is a very strong feminine name

Angels Bright from Starry height, change my mind and being with light!

May 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
StaeheliGrl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Juliet is pretty, I am not a fan of the name Margaret though.

May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Neither are really my style, but Juliet is very pretty!!
May 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Margaret! I can't use it because DF hates it. Wanna switch? I like it better than Juliet actually. Especially since she'd have a cousin named Julia. I know they wouldn't see each other much, and if it was your one and only choice I'd say go with it ... but I have cousins and uncles with the same name on different sides of the family and sometimes we get confused as it is. And they're not even close to the same age! It's workable but maybe not really worth it unless you absolutely would die to use that name, kwim?

I don't think it matters if you call her different things ... I can't even count all the different things my nephew is called ... Davin, Dav, Hey You, Little Stinker, What Did You Do Now?, Get Over Here, Turkey Butt, and probably more that I can't think of! She'll figure it out. My mom pretty much always called me Laur, at school I was Lauren, my sister called me Face until she was about 4, and I don't think my dad has EVER called me any part of my name. It was always Pumpkin or Sweetie. And I was not confused.

I love Daisy too.

</div>
May 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Katzchen
I think my true issue with Margaret/Meg is the fact that he clearly had a crush on the friend who had that name. I could deal with Margaret called Daisy, but Margaret called Meg just stings. So far the only names that he has actually liked are names of girls he liked in the past, and he just doesn't get that its not cool and starting to get hurtful.

He also said that the only reason he agreed to Juliet is because he knows that I won't use it, due to my niece.

I'm really starting to hope that were having another boy...
May 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Regular
Margaret nn Daisy is very sweet, but I still like Juliet better. I don't think it gets too confusing with your niece.
May 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Super Mommy
In your case I'd go with Margaret. Then you can call her Daisy and your husband can call her Meg. Juliet is lovely, but I wouldn't use it with a niece named Julia (I've got a niece Julia too, and nixed Juliet, Julius and Juliana because of that.)
May 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I would never want to name my daughter anything close to girls my husband has dated in the past! I would stray far away from Margaret and even Juliet if you guys don't like that. Don't lose hope. Keep looking, you'll find something. I recommend going to a bookstore and looking in some of the newer baby name books. They have a lot of categories in some, like if you have a certain style there will be a list for you. I would say bring your husband and both look in your own book. Tell him that under no condition will you be okay with using a past lovers name.

May 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I love Juliet with the nn Jules. When I eventually have/adopt my Julian, this is what I will call him.

Why is Daisy a nn for Margaret? Did I miss something?

I'm really starting to dislike your DH. He is proposing names of his ex-girlfriends and ex-crushes. I'd be so beyond words at this point that he would not have a part of naming my baby. How would your little girl feel when she grew up and realized who she was named for? I'd feel hurt and disgusted that my mother let that happen.

I say go for Juliet. Call her Julie/Jule/Jewel/Ette. Margaret would be out for me, for sure.
May 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Juliet

May 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
bebe-v-j's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I prefer Juliet but if you go with Margaret I think that Maggie/Meg are cute NN's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search