Mom doesn't like name

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Veteran
Hi Ladies,

My DH and I really like the name Miriam, we like it because there are not a ton of babies out there with it and it just pretty hut my mother does not like the name at all and I know that I am not trying to please her but I don't want her to hate her grandaughters name. Is anyone else in this same boat?

EDD 12/12/05
August 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
My Mom did not like the name Elle, now it does not matter to her LOL In fact she did not like any of the names we picked out. I really don't think it matters as once the baby is here it won't be an issue.

EDIT: BTW she does not like the name Emmett either, she says it is too old sounding and she says that I should use DH's name as the mn. I just finally told her that she had three chances to name her kids and that these were my kids and I will be picking their names (my Mom can be a bit pushy LOL)

August 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds a lot like my situation when i had my son.

I spent 9 months trying to pick out a name. My mother didnt like ANY of them, and she was the only real person i had around. (My sons father wasnt really around, although we maintained contact until shortly after my son was born). So my moms opinion mattered a lot.

What ended up happening was: i never decided on a name lol. 3 days after my son was born, I still had no name. She didnt like any. The ONE name I DIDNT like was the ONE name she wanted me to name my son. I finally gave him the name I had picked out and called it a day: Kobi.

She now LOVES the name, b/c it fits him well, he LOOKS like a Kobi and we cant imagine calling him anything else. I will say : for the first 3 or 4 months of my sons life, she REFUSED to call him by his name lol. Now - thats all she calls him

ANd - b/c of his last name, his full name has a very cute ring to it, and everywhere we go I get comments from other parents who just LOVE my sons name (mostly the first name/last name combination). They say their kids chant it around the house lol. Weve been in the office at his school, said his name, and other littler kids just walk around saying his name b/c of the ring to it.

So... go with what youve picked out. Your mom will get used to it. She had her chance to name all of her own children, nows your chance

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM
MamaBx3
It's your baby!
The name will grow on her anyways, even if she doesn't like it now.
August 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I agree, I agree, I agree!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to put my two cents in. Name your little one whatever you and Dh want! Your mother will learn to like it and life will go on! Good Luck!

Christina

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 1st, 2005, 08:18 PM
chlodoll
I think that its your baby and the only person who should have an opinion is the one with the baby in their tummy!!

But if you like Miriam there are some alternatives. Maybe Mirabelle! Thats nice
August 2nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
jeannie8's Avatar Member
Send a message via Yahoo to jeannie8
It's your baby and you should name it what you want to.Your Mom will learn to live with it!!!And remind her she has already had her chance to name her children!!!
August 2nd, 2005, 04:03 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed. Your mother had the opportunity to name her child/ren, now it's your turn. She will get over herself eventually. And Miriam is a lovely name!

</div>
August 3rd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
I was told by a wise woman.. That don't tell anyone what you are going to name the baby until after you bring it home from the hospital.. Because anyone can complain about a name before the baby is born.. But once it is on the birth certificate no one can try and make you change your mind about the name...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search